Town Hall

vis

1 hour ago, peter679 said:

I think they have guys in the wrong roles.  ie: G is a guy that needs his table set for him reference: Jagr.  Jake I liked him alot thought he would be better than he's been, but I think again he needs someone to set the table for him. Identifying HONESTLY what you have and what the short comings are for each player and putting them in the spot they need to be successful. 

It's funny, because I think G and V are more inclined to pass the puck than to have someone set them up.  Neither strikes me as a "shoot first" player, which I don't understand because both shoot pretty well.  

They also both like to carry the mail, which is a problem because I don't think either of them do it very well.  They could benefit from a d-man who is capable of carrying the puck and distributing it to them with speed heading into the o-zone.  I thought they did a good job of this with Ghost last year, but, alas, Ghost has become a ghost of his former self.

Ideally, I would split them up.  Problem is, neither is good enough to carry a line by themselves.  And I'm not sure the remaining "talent" is a good fit for either of them.  Couturier centering V?  C'mon.  G with Raffl and Simmonds?  or Schenn?  or Read?  Yuck.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/9/2017 at 3:56 PM, King Knut said:

Who are they going to play that would be any more reliable if they move MacDonald right now?

That's the reason he's playing so much.  

Anyone with a pulse??   I agree with what has been said, the guy *is* an NHL d-man, just his contract sucks donkey balls. Schultz and or Manning would basically be interchangeable with MacPoop.

I believe this expansion draft is a very important opportunity. If Hexy was smart, he would make a deal with Vegas and offer up a 3rd rounder in this summers draft if they will select MacCrap. This is a rare chance to dump him, cause Vegas will have the salary cap floor to be cognizant of. Yes, a 3rd is kind of a pricey tag on getting rid of the guy, but this may be their only legit chance to do so.

Vegas GM George McPhee will be looking for veteran d-man to stabilize the back end and he will be looking to add as many draft picks as possible. Throw in the cap floor and you have a unique situation to dump this guy once and for all.

26 minutes ago, vis said:

It's funny, because I think G and V are more inclined to pass the puck than to have someone set them up.  Neither strikes me as a "shoot first" player, which I don't understand because both shoot pretty well.  

They also both like to carry the mail, which is a problem because I don't think either of them do it very well.  They could benefit from a d-man who is capable of carrying the puck and distributing it to them with speed heading into the o-zone.  I thought they did a good job of this with Ghost last year, but, alas, Ghost has become a ghost of his former self.

Ideally, I would split them up.  Problem is, neither is good enough to carry a line by themselves.  And I'm not sure the remaining "talent" is a good fit for either of them.  Couturier centering V?  C'mon.  G with Raffl and Simmonds?  or Schenn?  or Read?  Yuck.

I 100% agree!  I think they can score, but are more set up guys.  G had his best season when Jagr was on his line setting his table.  They do not have any pure scorers on this team which has been an issue for a very long time.  G and Jake would benefit someone who can score and will need to be paid attention too on the ice which will allow them to move more and have more scoring chances.  
I think Ghost is an offensive guy, he has to learn a bit more about the game at this level, but he can be that guy.  It doesn't have to be a wing or center etc to be the guy Ghost has that ability.. hopefully we'll see it sooner rather than later.  
The bottom line is they need offense, they need production out of the big money players, and they need alot of help! lol

On 2/10/2017 at 9:03 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I really like the Flyers and what they can do this off season with that money. They need a right handed defenseman as well and we all know that there's one guy about to hit the market that would fit that bill, but he's going to cost at least 7 million a year. What I would do if I were Hextall would be target John Carlson in Washington. We all know the Caps want to re-sign Alzner, so throw them a bone. Offer up a prospect like Friedman and a middle round pick for Carlson. He's only 27 and would fit in and help. He also won't break the bank and he's a right handed shot.

How do you figure Carlson is going to be worth Friedman and a middle round pick? That is WAY below his market value. He's young, 27 just hitting his prime and runs the top pp. He has size and skill and is a very respectable skater for a big man. He's signed for 4 mill next season, but any kind of contract extension would cost you between 6-7 mill a year.

If a dman is gonna get signed from the UFA group, I'd be REALLY interested in Dimitri Orlov, also from the Caps. He's big, mean as hell and is terrific clearing the crease. He also fits in really nice on the 2nd pp unit. Also does double duty on the pk unit.  He goes UFA next year and would be a perfect fit. He picked a real nice time to come up with career high's in points, power play points and plus/minus. As of yesterday, Orlov was a wicked +24 on the year. He would add toughness to our team and by all accounts is a solid teammate. This guy was born to play in Philly IMHO. He will probably get overpaid because of the career year, but I'd be willing to sit down and take money with this guy. 

1 minute ago, peter679 said:

I 100% agree!  I think they can score, but are more set up guys.  G had his best season when Jagr was on his line setting his table.  They do not have any pure scorers on this team which has been an issue for a very long time.  G and Jake would benefit someone who can score and will need to be paid attention too on the ice which will allow them to move more and have more scoring chances.  
I think Ghost is an offensive guy, he has to learn a bit more about the game at this level, but he can be that guy.  It doesn't have to be a wing or center etc to be the guy Ghost has that ability.. hopefully we'll see it sooner rather than later.  
The bottom line is they need offense, they need production out of the big money players, and they need alot of help! lol

Welcome to the site. Look forward to reading your opinions.

2 hours ago, peter679 said:

Look at The Hoodie.. Belichek takes dreck and maximizes his guys buy using them in spots that will maximize they're ability.  

Welcome,

The dark lord has a "type" he looks for though,  especially on defense, he looks for guys who are smart, and can play multiple roles so he can shift pre-snap to disguise his coverages.  All "his guys" are good to great athletes as well, Ninkovic, Hightower, Edelman, Butler, Hogan and Gronk all those guys are smart and are +++ athletes. Those guys aren't "dreck" until he gets a hold of them, he takes their intelligence and through his scheme maximizes their athleticism.

Right now, the Flyers don't have a "type" unless we're talking about an average skater with good puck skills when they're stationary...not exactly a recipe for success in today's NHL. I am hoping that this is something that Hextall and Hakstol have been addressing via the draft, and that one day we'll have a bunch of smart guys that are good hockey players. Maybe we won't have a McDavid style superstar, holy **** can that guy play, but maybe we do have 10 forwards that are very good and all play the same way and 5 defensmen who are all ++ skaters...  That would be great. Right now these guys are painful to watch. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Anyone with a pulse??   I agree with what has been said, the guy *is* an NHL d-man, just his contract sucks donkey balls. Schultz and or Manning would basically be interchangeable with MacPoop.

I believe this expansion draft is a very important opportunity. If Hexy was smart, he would make a deal with Vegas and offer up a 3rd rounder in this summers draft if they will select MacCrap. This is a rare chance to dump him, cause Vegas will have the salary cap floor to be cognizant of. Yes, a 3rd is kind of a pricey tag on getting rid of the guy, but this may be their only legit chance to do so.

Vegas GM George McPhee will be looking for veteran d-man to stabilize the back end and he will be looking to add as many draft picks as possible. Throw in the cap floor and you have a unique situation to dump this guy once and for all.

I just don't see it happening.  

Even worse, getting rid of him does nothing to help this team at this point. 

I'd much prefer a better player back there... but It's time to face the sad sad sucky crap fest music that MacDonald is NOT this team's problem.  It's like saying an annoying hangnail is the thing keeping you from running a marathon when your leg is broken.

Sure.  It's less than idea, but the LEG is the damn problem.  

This team has deeper issues and right now the Coach, The Captain and the supposed second best offensive player on the team are all massive problems.  They're all doing an absolutely HORRIBLE job.  UTTERLY SHAMEFUL.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

All "his guys" are good to great athletes as well, Ninkovic, Hightower, Edelman, Butler, Hogan and Gronk all those guys are smart and are +++ athletes. Those guys aren't "dreck" until he gets a hold of them, he takes their intelligence and through his scheme maximizes their athleticism.

Off topic, but the post above is why ol' Bill will draft Jabril Peppers if he is still there at #32. The kid played every single position except OL and DL and kicker. Bill will be drooling imagining all the different places to line up this elite talent. Pretty sure he will eventually turn into a hybrid FS/CB, but OLB is not out of the question either.

2 hours ago, peter679 said:

..and goaltender, and defense, and a stickboy and a skate sharpener...

lots of holes on this team.  afraid the calvary is in the distance.  how strong a calvary it is remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

How do you figure Carlson is going to be worth Friedman and a middle round pick? That is WAY below his market value. He's young, 27 just hitting his prime and runs the top pp. He has size and skill and is a very respectable skater for a big man. He's signed for 4 mill next season, but any kind of contract extension would cost you between 6-7 mill a year.

If a dman is gonna get signed from the UFA group, I'd be REALLY interested in Dimitri Orlov, also from the Caps. He's big, mean as hell and is terrific clearing the crease. He also fits in really nice on the 2nd pp unit. Also does double duty on the pk unit.  He goes UFA next year and would be a perfect fit. He picked a real nice time to come up with career high's in points, power play points and plus/minus. As of yesterday, Orlov was a wicked +24 on the year. He would add toughness to our team and by all accounts is a solid teammate. This guy was born to play in Philly IMHO. He will probably get overpaid because of the career year, but I'd be willing to sit down and take money with this guy. 

Oh, I know Carlson is worth more. At the same time, with Washington being tight up against the cap, if I'm Hextall, I'm targeting those clubs that are tight against the cap and trying to make deals for well below market value.

I suspect that's going to be his M.O. with all that cap space this off season. If things go accordingly and Hextall has that nearly $23 million that's being predicted, then I hope he's targeting every cap team that has major issues and he's trying to make deals to acquire players well below their market value.

In terms of Orlov, he'd be a great fit, but he's also another left hander. Provorov, Sanheim, Gostisbehere and Morin are all left handers as well. The Flyers desperately need a right hander in the line up to balance it out a bit. If he hits free agency, Michael Stone would certainly be a good addition to the blue line. However, I wonder if he's more inclined to sign with Ottawa to play with younger brother Mark. Anyways, I'd try to acquire him. 6'3, 210 pounds, had 36 points last season, but numbers have fallen this year. You could probably get him a little cheaper and he's only 27. He could be a real good fit in Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Oh, I know Carlson is worth more. At the same time, with Washington being tight up against the cap, if I'm Hextall, I'm targeting those clubs that are tight against the cap and trying to make deals for well below market value.

If I was the GM of the Caps, before I took a lesser deal due to cap restraints, I'd target younger talent still on their initial ELC and or draft picks.

In terms of Orlov, he'd be a great fit, but he's also another left hander.

Ah, forgot about the lefty vs righty thing, valid point.

The Flyers desperately need a right hander in the line up to balance it out a bit. If he hits free agency, Michael Stone would certainly be a good addition to the blue line. However, I wonder if he's more inclined to sign with Ottawa to play with younger brother Mark. Anyways, I'd try to acquire him. 6'3, 210 pounds, had 36 points last season, but numbers have fallen this year. You could probably get him a little cheaper and he's only 27. He could be a real good fit in Philadelphia.

I have always liked Michael Stone. Just entering his prime, big body with respectable mobility and would be very effective running the 2nd pp unit. Stone has been mentioned in a lot of these trade deadline stories, so he just might be available. Another plus, he would be a solid veteran to pair with one of the blueliner kids. Pairing Stone with Ghost would be a solid 2nd pairing.

I wonder what the asking price would be. Zona would probably want a prospect and or pick since they don't really have a legit shot at the playoffs. If they got greedy, they might ask for a 1st, which would make me back out real quick.

How about Vorachek, Cousins, MacDonald and a 1st for Stone, Domi and Dalphin and a 2nd?

21 minutes ago, vis said:

@jammer2 isn't he uFA?

Stone is set to be a UFA this summer. A lot of times these guys are involved in trade deadline deals and they like the fit. Thus, the GM that acquires Stone would have exclusive negotiating rights with a few months to get the deal done. He was making 4 mill a year on his old deal, so not sure how much he would be asking for, but anything over 5 mill and I would be out.

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Stone is set to be a UFA this summer. A lot of times these guys are involved in trade deadline deals and they like the fit. Thus, the GM that acquires Stone would have exclusive negotiating rights with a few months to get the deal done. He was making 4 mill a year on his old deal, so not sure how much he would be asking for, but anything over 5 mill and I would be out.

I think Stone is going to be limited in his earning power this summer. One season with 36 points, one season with 18 and one season with 21. Honestly, I don't know if that warrants $5 million a season, but you know someone out there will pay it. Stone's going to make money, but I'd hope he'd take a little less if it meant being part of winning team going forward and let's face it, the Flyers have the fan base and the prospects in place to start winning next season. I'd love to see Stone in Philadelphia because he'd pair up so well with Gostisbehere or Provorov. A top six of:

Provorov - Stone

Gostisbehere - Gudas

Morin - Sanheim

would be something else. The nice thing about this is that all three pairings are interchangeable. It's not set in stone who is the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairings, it's just three pairings deep and any one of the pairings could be the top pairing, depending on who they're playing and what kind of game it is (for instance, if the game is rough and tumble, you'd want the Morin - Sanheim pairing to handle that). There's just so many ways you can go with this line up.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov - Stone

Gostisbehere - Gudas

Morin - Sanheim

I'd take any lineup almost that doesn't have Mcdud in it so i have to ask in this plan where is he?? I don't see him (which is nice)

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd take any lineup almost that doesn't have Mcdud in it so i have to ask in this plan where is he?? I don't see him (which is nice)

I'm convinced that Hextall is going to eat salary to move MacDonald. There's no way that they're going to bring him back. Even though Hakstol trashed Corsi numbers at the town hall, there's no way that they could trash MacDonald if they wanted to establish any sort of market for him. Honestly, I think MacDud goes to Las Vegas and will probably be a bottom pairing defender there.

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm convinced that Hextall is going to eat salary to move MacDonald. There's no way that they're going to bring him back. Even though Hakstol trashed Corsi numbers at the town hall, there's no way that they could trash MacDonald if they wanted to establish any sort of market for him. Honestly, I think MacDud goes to Las Vegas and will probably be a bottom pairing defender there.

I got zero problem with this but i thought you said they would claim Read (whom i thought as well). They can only select one.

Unless you mean they eat salary and trade him there which i would be game with.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got zero problem with this but i thought you said they would claim Read (whom i thought as well). They can only select one.

Unless you mean they eat salary and trade him there which i would be game with.

Yeah, I mean eat salary and trade. I don't think they'll get anything other than future considerations, but having to eat $2.75 million to get rid of a $5.5 million dollar per year mistake is acceptable. The good news is that it's only for three years and then they're done.

14 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Even though Hakstol trashed Corsi numbers at the town hall, there's no way that they could trash MacDonald if they wanted to establish any sort of market for him

That is exactly why he praised Mac....at the very least, he had to be polite and cordial in respect to what the guy brings. At the most, he would have to praise him, even if it's an outright lie. There is no reason to trash the guy and further reduce his value. Sometimes you just gotta read between the lines and figure out an underlying agenda, this was one of those times.

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

That is exactly why he praised Mac....at the very least, he had to be polite and cordial in respect to what the guy brings. At the most, he would have to praise him, even if it's an outright lie. There is no reason to trash the guy and further reduce his value. Sometimes you just gotta read between the lines and figure out an underlying agenda, this was one of those times.

Yeah i honestly don't know why so many are looking at this so crazy.

He and Hexy to me seem to have their poker face on and are still in the rebuild/evaluation mode.

Will there be misteps along the way of course. First time GM and headcoach there has to be some strikes in there and some misses. The key is they are still swinging and trying to get this right.

I think they are taking some calculated risk. Some will work some won't.

By year 4 we will have a better grasp of things. I'm hoping by that time they will have a better support cast around Giroux and Jake.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

By year 4 we will have a better grasp of things. I'm hoping by that time they will have a better support cast around Giroux and Jake.

In a perfect world, G is gone before the defense changes hands to the youngsters. When Brian friggin Gionta outscores your captain 5-5 since 2014, that is a PROBLEM. G is nothing more than a glorified pp specialist. Want to nullify the Flyers top line and top pp, just stay out of the box, it's really that easy. I suspect this problem will only get worse as time goes on. I would love to say it's bad luck, maybe an injury (he has played with those to be fair) but to have it extend for 3 full seasons, it's time to call a spade a spade. The other thing, when he allows it to go on for this long, is it time to start calling him heartless?? 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

In a perfect world, G is gone before the defense changes hands to the youngsters. When Brian friggin Gionta outscores your captain 5-5 since 2014, that is a PROBLEM. G is nothing more than a glorified pp specialist. Want to nullify the Flyers top line and top pp, just stay out of the box, it's really that easy. I suspect this problem will only get worse as time goes on. I would love to say it's bad luck, maybe an injury (he has played with those to be fair) but to have it extend for 3 full seasons, it's time to call a spade a spade. The other thing, when he allows it to go on for this long, is it time to start calling him heartless?? 

Well i can't see him going anywhere for awhile that is for sure because if they did then that would be admitting a mistake. Not sure Hexy is ready for that.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i can't see him going anywhere for awhile that is for sure because if they did then that would be admitting a mistake. Not sure Hexy is ready for that.

That is just it, each month that goes by G's value is worth less and less, and that 8 mill becomes harder and harder to sell. We could be seeing the very first 30 pt - 8 mill dollar man in a few years if we don't sell him off.  

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

That is just it, each month that goes by G's value is worth less and less, and that 8 mill becomes harder and harder to sell. We could be seeing the very first 30 pt - 8 mill dollar man in a few years if we don't sell him off.  

I am not for selling low with Giroux.

Right now the return isn't going to be for **** so why bother ? That's a poor use of an asset. 

There is something not right with him.

I don't think he has NFL running back syndrome where all of the sudden they can't find the creases anymore.

I think he's playing with an injury.

The sudden drop off in productivity is alarming and I think indicative of issues other than being 29. 

There are areas of his game that age doesn't affect and his puck handling always a strength bordering on wizardry is suddenly average, is it head injury related? the recurrence of his wrist injuries from a couple of springs ago...? I'm not sure #28's drop off is too acute and drastic for me to think he's finished ,

Archived