Hextall the Patsy

caluso

The Flyers organization has no idea how to manage a salary cap and this has been the case for many, many years. 

The Flyers, a team continually mired in salary cap hell, just acquired Valterri Filppula, 33 years old in 20 days, and his bloated,  5 million dollar cap hit in 2017. So, let me get this straight: the plan is to get younger and build through the draft....except when they don't.

And, by the way, then the Bolts turned around and  traded Streit to the Pens, further demonstrating that the deal with the Flyers was nothing more than a salary dump. Can the Flyers look any more foolish now. Truly embarrassing to be a Flyer fan.

I understand that it was a buyer's market but to take on a substantial salary to rid themselves of Streit - who had an expiring contract and would have cost the Flyers nothing next year - is just absurd and demonstrates that Hexy is no better than his predecessors. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Holmgren, Clarke and Dave Brown are all part of Hexy's advisory committee. No, I am not making that up. The bottom line is, unless the Flyers' hierarchy is blown to smithereens and rebuilt from scratch, the future will remain comically dark. Why not take on VLC's last few year's while we are at it?

Hextall's first deal, trading Coburn, was terrific. However, every move he has made besides that one has been a really bad one: re-upping Schenn; re-upping Raffl; re-upping Couturier; signing Weise; signing Gordon; trading for Umburger......What a really bad track record.

The bottom line is that there is a clear void in the Flyers organization when it comes to evaluating talent, their own and other teams, and managing the cap. Not a good combination. Welcome to mediocrity, folks.

Part 2: Chris Pryor needs to go, forthcoming

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mojo1917 said:

I laughed pretty hard at this topic title.

It certainly seems as though Hextall just lost his lunch money to Stevie Y in a game of up or down.

Really embarrassing. Like the time Holmgren had to sign that goalie from the rec league because the piggy bank was empty.

Just now, murraycraven said:

Hextall is acting like Filp is the next coming of Forsberg...

Someone needs to tell him that he is not. And someone needs to take his keys away.

Horrible horrible move.

I said in the other thread, Hextall is doing well at the draft, but he can't trade worth crap.  I'd hate to take him to a used car dealer.  "$65K for the 1987 Dodge Omni?   OMG, where do I sign?"

Just said in another thread, it's like buying out Briere only to sign VLC 5 mins later.  

That 5 million could come in handy next year.....now it may be spent on a player who has declining point totals 3 years in a row.  

Just now, ruxpin said:

Horrible horrible move.

I said in the other trade, Hextall is doing well at the draft, but he can't trade worth crap.  I'd hate to take him to a used car dealer.  "$65K for the 1987 Dodge Omni?   OMG, where do I sign?"

Rux

I agree wholeheartedly with the philosophy of building from within. I truly do. 

However, the organization cannot judge talent and that does not bode well for the future. Teams like the Rangers, Pens, Black Hawks all find serviceable players in later rounds of the draft or via free agency. The Flyers? Not so much...

As for the draft, Rubstov is a player I like but who knows how the prospects will pan out. What I do know for certainty is that the Flyers organization is void in top six forward talent....until proven otherwise. So Hexy's drafting ability is still to be determined.

He did pick up two draft picks.

most of the players that are coming up are on the d end 

not much in the forwards it will be a year or two for any of them are getting up .

Hey could be worse he could be a center ..

3 minutes ago, intheslot said:

He did pick up two draft picks.

most of the players that are coming up are on the d end 

not much in the forwards it will be a year or two for any of them are getting up .

Hey could be worse he could be a center ..

I think that last line was a joke....  Right?

Do we blame pro-scouting vs. amateur scouting?

Who is the head of pro scouting?  I don't feel like looking.   He needs to be fired.     But the buck stops with Hextall (until he spends the buck on something only worth a quarter).

Just now, ruxpin said:

Do we blame pro-scouting vs. amateur scouting?

Who is the head of pro scouting?  I don't feel like looking.   He needs to be fired.     But the buck stops with Hextall (until he spends the buck on something only worth a quarter).

Dave Brown is the head of pro scouting. For real!

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I think that last line was a joke....  Right?

LOL!

We picked up 2 draft picks? A 4th and 7th? Are they really draft picks. I would rather have gotten a bag of air than taken on Filppula's contract.

This move is a glaring example of why  Hexy is the fish at the table. It is time for him to play for lower stakes.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Does this maybe mean they move Coots in the offseason and Filppula is gap until Rubstov might be ready?

Or am I out of my mind trying to apply logic to this deal?

yes, you have gone mad.

17 minutes ago, caluso said:

I understand that it was a buyer's market but to take on a substantial salary to rid themselves of Streit - who had an expiring contract and would have cost the Flyers nothing next year - is just absurd and demonstrates that Hexy is no better than his predecessors. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Holmgren, Clarke and Dave Brown are all part of Hexy's advisory committee. No, I am not making that up. The bottom line is, unless the Flyers' hierarchy is blown to smithereens and rebuilt from scratch, the future will remain comically dark. Why not take on VLC's last few year's while we are at it?

Hextall's first deal, trading Coburn, was terrific. However, every move he has made besides that one has been a really bad one: re-upping Schenn; re-upping Raffl; re-upping Couturier; signing Weise; signing Gordon; trading for Umburger......What a really bad track record.

I understand that some people dislike Couturier or irrational reasons, but usually those people think SChenn is the Bee's Knees.

For my money I think Schenn is not a terribly talented player on 2/3 of the ice but he currently leads the entire league in PP goals.  More than Ovechkin, Crosby or Kucherov.  Why was resigning him a mistake?

I agree signing Gordon was a mistake, but it didn't really cost them anything.

I agree Weise has been a disappointment, but I dont' blame Hextall for the signing.  It should have worked.  He shouldn't be THIS bad.

As for Trading Hartnell for Umberger, I still defend that deal and am utterly fine with it.  Hartnell's presence would not have made this team competitive last year or the year before and it would not make them competitive next year or the year after.  In the mean time trading him has helped get them into a position where they actually have cap room to breath.

They didn't take on substantial salary to rid themselves of Streit.  They made basically a salary neutral deal that brought in two late round picks and brought in a C/LW who will now have the most even strength assists on the team, the third most assists overall, and who will be tied with the captain for even strength goals.  

Essentially... it's not a bad deal.  It's just not an amazing deal.  What is there to tear our sleeves about and scream to the Heavens hating Hextall over? 

I don't get it.  

6 minutes ago, caluso said:

yes, you have gone mad.

7 minutes ago, caluso said:

LOL!

We picked up 2 draft picks? A 4th and 7th? Are they really draft picks. I would rather have gotten a bag of air than taken on Filppula's contract.

This move is a glaring example of why  Hexy is the fish at the table. It is time for him to play for lower stakes.

What high stakes was he playing for?  What do you think he was trying to do that got him played?  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

brought in a C/LW who will now have the most even strength assists on the team, the third most assists overall, and who will be tied with the captain for even strength goals.

When you put it like that, it makes me realize how much the Flyers have flat out sucked on offense this year. 

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Does this maybe mean they move Coots in the offseason and Filppula is gap until Rubstov might be ready?

OK ok...I'm starting to see a silver lining!

30 minutes ago, caluso said:

Really embarrassing. Like the time Holmgren had to sign that goalie from the rec league because the piggy bank was empty.

Seriously... what did Hextall lose in this?  I'm utterly lost?  because he didn't Fleece Yzerman or make an absurd deal like he did with the Blackhawks, Kings, Coyotes or Lightning of two years ago, somehow he should be embarrassed? 

Fil is decidedly in decline, but either way he's still better than what we've got and Hextall upgraded the top 6 for the rest of this season at least and got two bargaining chip draft picks instead of losing a player that had no place on the team outright?

I don't like this deal, but I don't see what there is to hate about it.  It's not an earth shatterer.  It's not much of anything.  

Even if they don't unload Val and have to pay his 5 million next year, that's not a killer.  They weren't signing any big free agents, there aren't any to begin with plus it was never part of the plan.  At the absolute WORST this makes the top 6 better for a year and 6 weeks.  At worst they're closer to next year's cap than they were 3 hours ago.  Who cares?  They have the room.  

It's not a miracle... but it's not the end of the world.  I don't think folks here are being realistic... then again, most of us rarely ever are.

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

dont hurt yourself.... let your anger guide you!

Archived