Who's this Couturier guy anyway?

elmatus

So, while I'm not a Couturier fan whatsoever, I would like to note he has 11 pts, is a +14, and is +35 on face offs in the last 14 games...

He's second only to Giroux in pts over that span (G has 12), and leads the team in the other two categories mentioned over that span. 

Granted that largely coincides with his drop to the 3rd line, but those are still solid numbers for a guy with hands of scone. Maybe the 3rd line shuffle was all he needed, or maybe having someone like Filppula around pushing him to actually do something is beneficial in this case. There's also the rather strong likelihood this is a statistical anomaly. Still, I thought it worth pointing out.

11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

So, while I'm not a Couturier fan whatsoever, I would like to note he has 11 pts, is a +14, and is +35 on face offs in the last 14 games...

He's second only to Giroux in pts over that span (G has 12), and leads the team in the other two categories mentioned over that span. 

Granted that largely coincides with his drop to the 3rd line, but those are still solid numbers for a guy with hands of scone. Maybe the 3rd line shuffle was all he needed, or maybe having someone like Filppula around pushing him to actually do something is beneficial in this case. There's also the rather strong likelihood this is a statistical anomaly. Still, I thought it worth pointing out.

He also leads this lousy team in plus/minus (+7).

I'm old enough to remember when players with a positive plus/minus on a team where the two highest paid stars are a collective -37 was considered a good thing.  

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He also leads this lousy team in plus/minus (+7).

I'm old enough to remember when players with a positive plus/minus on a team where the two highest paid stars are a collective -37 was considered a good thing.  

You're also old enough to remember when dinosaurs roamed the earth...

But back to hockey. 

54 minutes ago, elmatus said:

As has been noted previously, he was "on pace" for 50 points last season so it's not necessarily that much of an anomaly.

If they can get consistent 50-point production from the 3C position, that's a bonus for any team.

I do think that Filppula has helped balance out the lines.

While I'm happy to see the improvement in his game, let's see him do it when the team isn't in a slow death march to the season's end.  

That said, I think his style works better with guys like Read and Weise than it does Voracek and Konecny.  He's also probably handling the puck more now than he did with Voracek and Konecny, which I'm sure is a major reason why his assists total has jumped (8A out of those 11pts).  Also helps that Read and Weise have also improved over the last 12 or 13 games.  Seems that all three guys are clicking at the same point in time.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

These stats actually match up a lot better with the other indicators (Corsi, Fenwick, etc) that the team has been looking at for him for a while now.  The fact that he wasn't producing like this was always the more likely anomaly.  

IMHO the difference maker has straight up been the absence of Streit.  Not insomuch as Streit is a bad player or a bad guy, but with Streit on the team, there was no way to have sensical D pairings.  No matter what, there was always at least one if not two pairings that featured 2 defensively liable D-men.  Now things get to even out a bit and guys like MDZ and Ghost can actually play "first pass" roles complementing a more "shut down" positioning from Gudas or Manning or Schultz (whoever they're paired with).  

This means that Couturier (or Giroux, or Filppula for that matter) can actually receive that first pass instead of making it.  Sometimes he can get it in stride.  Moreover it means his wingers can be moving up ice by the time he gets it, so not only is he moving in the right direction, they're already creating separation and drawing coverage, opening skating and passing lanes.  

Again, not to sound like a broken record and not to sound like a Coots cheerleaer, but this team has been just god awful even strength all year and all year, as bad as his production has been, Coots' numbers were really among the best on the team at even strength.  Actual production numbers in points and goals, not just corsi and fenwick witch doctor numbers.  Everyone above him on the score sheets had very good power play numbers.  This is clearly something Coots is NOT good at.  Everything combined always suggested to me that there was a more systematic problem with the team than just Coots' numbers were bad.  

The fact that Giroux has woken up a bit too now is telling.  Hopefully it's due to his stomach/hernia thing finally giving him range of motion again in combination with the overall chemistry and system stuff I talked about above.  

Hopefully I'm right and it all continues and will continue to continue next season as well. 

I'm I'm wrong, then hopefully it's some other reason that can continue to continue.  

1 hour ago, radoran said:

As has been noted previously, he was "on pace" for 50 points last season so it's not necessarily that much of an anomaly.

If they can get consistent 50-point production from the 3C position, that's a bonus for any team.

I do think that Filppula has helped balance out the lines.

When he gets 50 points in a season, I might let him have my wife.  Until then, I still have no need for a guy that gets on a streak in the last 20 games when he's been invisible for 60.

6 minutes ago, icehole said:

When he gets 50 points in a season, I might let him have my wife.  Until then, I still have no need for a guy that gets on a streak in the last 20 games when he's been invisible for 60.

Yeah, I'm sick of Giroux too.

oh wait...

1 hour ago, vis said:

While I'm happy to see the improvement in his game, let's see him do it when the team isn't in a slow death march to the season's end.  

That said, I think his style works better with guys like Read and Weise than it does Voracek and Konecny.  He's also probably handling the puck more now than he did with Voracek and Konecny, which I'm sure is a major reason why his assists total has jumped (8A out of those 11pts).  Also helps that Read and Weise have also improved over the last 12 or 13 games.  Seems that all three guys are clicking at the same point in time.

I think you nailed it.  No pressure and being "the man" on a line has helped a lot.

Just now, icehole said:

Oh, he still needs to "put up or shut up" - no doubt.

Thus the "if" in the second sentence of the quoted post.

But, he's only played 59 games this season...

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

But, he's only played 59 games this season...

Then he has some work to do, because the flyers have played like 75.  So other than the games that you don't notice him on the ice, there's another 14 or so that he's been literally invisible on the ice.

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

So you haven't been watching then, huh?

No. I can't remember the last Flyers game I watched. Oh right, the one in Wpg. I must admit I didn't notice Coots much that night. Or anybody. They are so meh

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

What's your wife's name?

I'm sure there's a joke in there but I can't find it.  Surely with the words "insert" and "wife" in the same conversation, you can come up with better than that.

1 minute ago, icehole said:

Then he has some work to do, because the flyers have played like 75.  So other than the games that you don't notice him on the ice, there's another 14 or so that he's been literally invisible on the ice.

Or injured...

Which is another concern as he hasn't played a full season for the past two...

You should appreciate when people hand you ammunition. :cheers:

Just now, icehole said:

Surely with the words "insert" and "wife" in the same conversation, you can come up with better than that.

You'd be surprised at what I can't come up with.

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No. I can't remember the last Flyers game I watched. Oh right, the one in Wpg. I must admit I didn't notice Coots much that night. Or anybody. They are so meh

They're attempting to pass to him while he's moving forward now instead of lateral passes and asking him to carry it up and make the next pass starting from a static position.

Granted, the last few goals he's been on the ice for, Weise has managed to send the pass directly into Coots' skates or well behind him, but the play was still made that goals happened.  Point is, players are moving north to south now instead of east to west.    It's helping.  

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Or injured...

Which is another concern as he hasn't played a full season for the past two...

You should appreciate when people hand you ammunition. :cheers:

Just saying "coots" is enough ammo.  Usually I would not hold an injury against a player, but in his case, it is becoming a problem.  You can't produce if you're not on the ice.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Point is, players are moving north to south now instead of east to west.    It's helping.  

Ok, gotchya. I woulda thought they woulda figured this hitting-a-guy-while-he's-moving thing a bit earlier.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

...Weise has managed to send the pass directly into Coots' skates or well behind him...

And how does a pro hockey player manage to hit Sean Couturier in the feet with a pass, or put it behind him?!

He's practically a stationary target for chrissake!!

8 minutes ago, icehole said:

Just saying "coots" is enough ammo.  Usually I would not hold an injury against a player, but in his case, it is becoming a problem.  You can't produce if you're not on the ice.

Can you just change your handle to "I_Hate_Couturier" and get it over with?

We know you don't like him and I can respect that.  We get it.  There are certain players I haven't liked.  When the put on the orange and black I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes, it's just hard.  

But some of us are trying to discuss things a little more deeply.  Some of us like talking about the systems and advanced analytics and why they might or might not be resulting in goals.  We get that you don't like him.  

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, gotchya. I woulda thought they woulda figured this hitting-a-guy-while-he's-moving thing a bit earlier.

And how does a pro hockey player manage to hit Sean Couturier in the feet with a pass, or put it behind him?!

He's practically a stationary target for chrissake!!

Well we are talking about Dale Weise here.  

Coots has his stick on the ice, the pass is slow and behind him (hits his skates). But everyone goes to the net and we still get a happy ending.

https://www.nhl.com/video/weises-tap-in-tally/t-283439040/c-50839003

Archived