Flyers at World's

Jam1986

17 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

Do not like when guys go to this and Olympics! Get hurt themselves and team screwed then! These four that are going who is being shown for trade at draft? Your thoughts?

I don't think any of them are on the trading block.

I think they needed to announce some players and most of the good ones are still playing hockey so they picked some guys they knew.  Now they can start working out with the other 14 and making general plans.  The roster will be filled out with superstars soon enough.  What's the point of GMing team Canada if you can't give your own guys a bit of extra hype.

In addition, it's pretty damn good practice.  You want these guys hanging out with Briere and Bobby Ryan all summer or do you want them practicing and playing against the best in the world?

I doubt we will see much of Coots or TK in the worlds. 

17 hours ago, darthbal said:

I think that if any of them is slightly injured, that they should skip it and work at getting better for next season instead...

I agree.  It seemed that at the end of the season Coots and G said they were feeling like they were just getting their game legs again.  Keeping momentum going might actually be better for their recoveries. 

In addition, there is absolutely no way that Provorov, Gudas, Lindblom and maybe Sandstrom or even Neuwirth won't be suiting up for their teams.  Of all of them, Gudas is the only one that concerns me.  Concussions take time. 

On 4/20/2017 at 6:40 PM, Jam1986 said:

Do not like when guys go to this and Olympics! Get hurt themselves and team screwed then! These four that are going who is being shown for trade at draft? Your thoughts?

I'm with @King Knut. I'd much rather they be playing and keeping a relatively high pace than slacking all summer. The potential for injury is something that exists all the time (Giroux's golfing comes to mind). I'd rather they be staying sharp.

I also think doing so is generally better for players as a whole. The use it or lose it concept is core to any sports training. It only stands to reason it would be even more important for athletes at this top level of play.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I'd be more concerned about a player not wanting to play than wanting to. Sure injuries can happen...as mentioned, they happen outside of the sport as well. 

Why? I'm perfectly fine with a player skipping an international tournament regardless of their reason. They have no obligation to play.

56 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Why? I'm perfectly fine with a player skipping an international tournament regardless of their reason. They have no obligation to play.

Playing for your country isn't an obligation...it's a privilege. I think most athletes are honored to be asked.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Playing for your country isn't an obligation...it's a privilege. I think most athletes are honored to be asked.

Sure, but you can still turn it down. Keith, Toews, and Seabrook all just did. I don't see an issue with doing so.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Keith, Toews and Seabrooke have all played an extra season over the last few years in the playoff hockey. They need a rest.

Giroux and company....not so much.

I still don't see why it's something to be concerned over if a player bows out of an international competition. Whether they're hurt, or they prefer to do something else.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I still don't see why it's something to be concerned over if a player bows out of an international competition. Whether they're hurt, or they prefer to do something else.

I'm not losing any sleep over it...I just like the idea a player wants to compete even after his team is out. If you're hurt or flat out exhausted, that's one thing. Can't be bothered is another.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Keith, Toews and Seabrooke have all played an extra season over the last few years in the playoff hockey. They need a rest.

Giroux and company....not so much.

Giroux just struuggled all season and had one of his worst seasons in the NHL coming off of surgery.

That to me says yeah he needs to rest and get ready for next year.

Not wear the body down further so he can be rediculed to no end once again next year.

But hey thats just one man's opinion.

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Giroux just struuggled all season and had one of his worst seasons in the NHL coming off of surgery.

Not wear the body down further so he can be rediculed to no end once again next year.

And that's fair...but what about Simmonds/Konecny/Couturier?

33 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And that's fair...but what about Simmonds/Konecny/Couturier?

I want them to rest too.

But i'm being selfish.

I'm not Canadian i'm a Flyer fan!

:VeryCool:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I want them to rest too.

But i'm being selfish.

I'm not Canadian i'm a Flyer fan!

:VeryCool:

So you'd be Ok with Chris Vandevelde playing for the US you hypocritical bastard?!?  :haha2:

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

So you'd be Ok with Chris Vandevelde playing for the US you hypocritical bastard?!?  :haha2:

I read reports he was applying for dual citizenship so he could Captain team Canada because Hakstol has insisted he needed him so damn oh well........

:lovethis:

On 4/23/2017 at 8:04 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Listening to their end of year statments, G especially and Coots to a lesser degree were both working through recoveries that they both started to get past by the end of the year.  By their own admissions (and watching them play, I have to agree) they said they felt different towards the end and started to move better and be able to do the things they couldn't before.

Which is to say, they weren't nursing injuries that were hampering them.  They were simply recovering and the seemed to just be getting some momentum under them and then wham the season ended.  

They're getting rest now. Frankly, I think keeping them moving will only benefit them.  Yes, they could get injured.  It could happen.  But as G has proven in the past, that could happen if they don't play hockey at all or if they're training with their buddies as many do or if they're training with local junior teams (as many do).  

Archived