B. Schenn traded to Blues for J. Lehtera and a Conditional 1st in 2018

pilldoc

26 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

now they are the choke-artist team

I'm not sure I have the same definition.

For me -- and maybe this is just me -- to choke you have to be expected to win.

I had no expectation of them winning.   I actually had no expectation of them being  here, but I certainly didn't expect them to win.   I also didn't think it would be close.   I can't honestly say I expected 7-0, 5-1, 5-0, but I didn't expect close.  There was no reason to.  

Maybe why I'm not having an emotional breakdown is that I just viewed this as unexpected icing on a season in which I expected incremental improvement from last year.    I actually think what we got was incremental improvement coupled with the collapse of some other teams.  Viola...playoff round.

It's coming.  What I know for certain is that the "bring in the banged up formerly shiny object du jour" was years of failure.  I haven't been to a Cup parade in 43 years or whatever.  I can wait to see how this plays out.  I'm tired of waiting the old way.

flyers always have lots of excuses

I'm not sure "not good enough yet" is an excuse.   It's a fairly accurate assessment.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

flyers always have lots of excuses, now they are the choke-artist team

Caps are choke artists....they ARE expected to win....

Hard to be classified as a choke artist team when you are NOT expected to win as is the case with this team.

Jump on the Vegas bandwagon Leach 27.

If it is so disappointing, following the Flyers, find another outlet.

Really.  Why subject yourself to this ?

The good old days aren't coming back, I don't know what your expectations were/are but clearly this team brings you no joy. 

Unless you enjoy misery, why not find something else to do ?

4 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

To be a flyer fan you have to expect mediocrity, and the flyers surely deliver on that promise.

I guess the only question left is, do you need a tissue or a tampax?

Yes, we're mediocre.  But we're coming back from horrible, so...

Look, I know that even in losing, a game 7 loss to Tampa was a lot more fun (not in that moment, but the ride along the way).   So was the game 6 loss to Chicago (again, not that moment. The ride).  But for every year the "get the shiny" did that, "get the shiny" also gave us nearly equally horrible first round asswhoopings to Buffalo, etc.   YMMV, but I prefer the "yeah,  we lost but we're on the way" to the "we lost and a quarter of the team will be on the PGA Senior Circuit next year and nothing to replace them with" after the first round.

I know.  Ultimately a happy medium would be nice and probably be more effective than either approach.  I think we're nearing the happy medium phase, though.    Unless I am suddenly told I only have 6 months to live, I'm willing to wait.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Vegas is actually what probably makes this process a bit painful.    Granted, they got to draft, but they got a bunch of castoffs and unwanted players, sprinkled in a decent goalie and they've had the year they've had so far and swept the first round.   They have a better coach, but I get the argument "why don't we go get a better coach!"  Why can't we JUST ONCE get a decent goalie?   And keep him when we do!

I can get the impatience with the 5-year plan or whatever in the face of that.  

I feel like I'm on a Facebook politics thread.

• Make a wild assertion.     
  • Someone responds with argument.
  • Don't respond to the points made but move the goalposts and start with a new wild assertion that doesn't follow either logically or contextually from first assertion or from respondent argument.
  • Someone or multiple people respond to new assertion.
  • Repeat above.
  • Endless cycle until argument "won" by attrition or exhaustion.

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Vegas is actually what probably makes this process a bit painful.    Granted, they got to draft, but they got a bunch of castoffs and unwanted players, sprinkled in a decent goalie and they've had the year they've had so far and swept the first round.   They have a better coach, but I get the argument "why don't we go get a better coach!"  Why can't we JUST ONCE get a decent goalie?   And keep him when we do!

I can get the impatience with the 5-year plan or whatever in the face of that.  

Vegas has had the best inaugural season for any team in the league....I am surprised....They just keep surprising everyone.

1 minute ago, Devin Wieser said:

Vegas has had the best inaugural season for any team in the league....I am surprised....They just keep surprising everyone.

Absolutely.   On all counts.

It doesn't help fans of teams sitting waiting for good things when the newbie is doing so well.

55 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Absolutely.   On all counts.

It doesn't help fans of teams sitting waiting for good things when the newbie is doing so well.

could be gary's new favorite pet

1 hour ago, Leach27 said:

To be a flyer fan you have to expect mediocrity, and the flyers surely deliver on that promise.

i don't even know where to start on this comment.  You do realize how bad Homer screwed this organizations with bad contracts, trading of picks for over the hill has-been NHL's past their prime, and woeful cap mismanagement along with a farm system devoid of any real NHL talent.  This team was going no where so a drastic change in philosophy was a must. 

So after a couple painful seasons we fast forward to a season of few expectations and were rewarded with a 98 point campaign, finishing better than 18 other NHL clubs.  That is 10 points better than the 16-17 campaign and 14 points better than the 14-15 campaign. Not exactly mediocrity but certainly a step in the right direction. 

This simply is not an overnight process, do think otherwise is being extremely short-sighted. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

If it is so disappointing, following the Flyers, find another outlet.

Really.  Why subject yourself to this ?

The good old days aren't coming back, I don't know what your expectations were/are but clearly this team brings you no joy. 

Unless you enjoy misery, why not find something else to do ?

Agree ..the days of the Broadstreet Bullies is over and buried under the parking lot to where the old Spectrum used to stand.  The NHL has changed.  If the Flyers want to succeed then they have to change too.  The old Flyer way simply cannot survive in this new NHL.

If someone can't find the joy of finally seeing Coots burst forth some offense and maturing of TK as a legitimate  Top Line player, then I can't help them and they seriously need to find a new hobby.

45 minutes ago, Devin Wieser said:

It helps when you have a former NHL All Star and SC Championship caliber goalie to start your inaugural year.  It also helps that a vast majority of all your players had career years and most shot over their CSH%. 

I only watch the playoffs now, the regular season is rather boring now. You are right, I don't really have a "favorite team", root for the underdog, whoever that turns out to be. Unfortunately I don't have the time I used to yrs ago. 

4 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

I only watch the playoffs now, the regular season is rather boring now.

If it makes you feel any better (or makes you second guess this opinion!), I agree with you on this one.

Hockey -- the Flyers, in particular -- used to be an emotion experience for me.  It no longer is (for me), and I have an increasingly hard time with its keeping my attention for a full game.  I'm much quicker to give up the TV to my wife so she can watch whatever mindless crap she wants to.  For me, I know it's really just a personal preference thing and a longing for the days that I know will never return.  I used to like the rough and tumble.  I still occasionally watch the Flyers/Senators brawl from 2004 or the Flyers/Pens nonsense at the end of 2012 just to get a fix.  I used to like when a good solid hit wasn't a penalty or resulted in a "oh my God, you actually hit someone" fight.  I'm okay with the fight part, but when it's for a good solid bodycheck it's a little nuts.

I know we just finished a season where we barely got in by a handful of points and a point made the difference in seeding, but often during the regular season--which feels entirely too long--I have a "what does this game matter?" feeling.   It's not the "must see TV" it used to be for me.    Some of that is age, probably, but the rest is just it's not the game that I used to love.

@ruxpin

There was a time I would never miss a game and the in-game chat room was always full.  Times have changed.  I have far too many other commitments in life and just can't vest myself 100% emotionally into game anymore.  Don't get me wrong I still bleed O&B, but the days of throwing crap at my TV when the Flyers lost are over.

I get your point as I share some of those very same sentiments........

23 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Don't get me wrong I still bleed O&B, but the days of throwing crap at my TV when the Flyers lost are over.

@ruxpin

@pilldoc

It’s funny, I had almost the same conversation with my wife last night. Last night I turned it off at 3-0 and she commented that I have watched far less hockey this season and wanted to know why I no longer spit nails after a Flyers loss.

I guess all the scar tissue that has built up from Flyers failures the last 40+ years has finally made me numb.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@ruxpin

There was a time I would never miss a game and the in-game chat room was always full.  Times have changed.  I have far too many other commitments in life and just can't vest myself 100% emotionally into game anymore.  Don't get me wrong I still bleed O&B, but the days of throwing crap at my TV when the Flyers lost are over.

I get your point as I share some of those very same sentiments........

Then I don't think we're alone.   The thing about the chat room is actually telling (and true).  I do think that for a lot of us--Flyers fans more than many teams--it really was an emotional experience.   Those of us who grew up in the bully days, and even those who grew up in the Lindros era became emotionally invested because the team was emotionally invested.  It still may be, but it's not tangible or outwardly showing.   I don't just want talent.  I mean I do want talent, but to me it's not simply that or just take the nets down, put on lederhosen and do some triple axles.  I want the emotion (I can't come up with a better word).   

If they're winning, that will be fine and will at least pacify the need for the emotional thing, but I still likely won't be drawn in a can't help myself kind of way to every regular season game.

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

@ruxpin

@pilldoc

It’s funny, I had almost the same conversation with my wife last night. Last night I turned it off at 3-0 and she commented that I have watched far less hockey this season and wanted to know why I no longer spit nails after a Flyers loss.

I guess all the scar tissue that has built up from Flyers failures the 40+ years has finally made me numb.

It's definitely that.  Maybe it's all that.  I don't know.    The Flyers went to the finals in 2010 and the playoff ride was fun enough, but I remember the regular season being almost as frustrating as this one.  Maybe moreso because they were supposed to be better than this team.

The 2004 team was fun.   They had some fire.   They seemed like they legitimately cared and that it meant something to them.   It was kind of weirdly like the Eagles this year, but with fights.   This team is more like a baseball team on skates led by a coach on painkillers.

3 minutes ago, Samifan said:

guess all the scar tissue that has built up from Flyers failures the 40+ years has finally made me numb.

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?
Come on, now.
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.
Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts,
Can you show me where it hurts?
There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I cant explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.
Ok.
Just a little pinprick. [ping]
There'll be no more
Ah!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do
There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.
Songwriters: David Jon Gilmour / R

4 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Ha! Same conversation my friend .... to the point my wife is trying to convince me to give up NHL Center Ice .....

Funny thing is I am now more emotionally invested in my Fantasy Hockey League teams than the Flyers  .......

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Funny thing is I am now more emotionally invested in my Fantasy Hockey League teams than the Flyers  .......

That's the truth!

I've actually cheered against the Flyers because somebody or other is playing against and it helps my fantasy team.

My wife asked me, "how can you cheer for your fantasy team over the Flyers?"    Me:  "Because my fantasy team is better and actually has a reasonable chance of winning."

With little kids, doesn't leave much time in the day for anything. We have a 5 yr old that likes getting up before 5. 
I never was a morning person. In college I was up at 5, only because we actually never went sleep. You'd notice the sun is up and it reminded you it was time to stop drinking. haha!

7 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

With little kids, doesn't leave much time in the day for anything. We have a 5 yr old that likes getting up before 5. 
I never was a morning person. In college I was up at 5, only because we actually never went sleep. You'd notice the sun is up and it reminded you it was time to stop drinking. haha!

I remember those days!    Enjoy every minute of the five year old.

I totally understand the lack of emotional investment.  I think it is a product of age/maturity.

My father-in-law was a rabid college hoops fan, had seats at Syracuse when he lived near there, big Carolina fan- with  respect for coach K... he doesn't watch anymore. At all, didn't see a minute of this year's tournament.  He just has interests that are more important. 

I spent this past year being the president of teen girl mojo's cheer team.  that sucked most of my free time (and goodwill). So I haven't watched any sports with any regularity. I find I don't miss it that much either.  I watch tgm do standing tucks, because it seems like a good place in the song on the radio for a standing tuck,  walk the mat on her hands and leap 3 feet in the air...she's a stud. I get my amazeballs fill watching her.

Plus the Eagles won, so now it's like I can't really hate any more...I'm not angry, it's weird, it's like all that sports hate has dissipated, I let people into traffic...I can't bring myself to be all jacked about a team that exceeded my expectations getting whipped by the defending champs.  It's like , well the Pens, they're good, and we'll get there soon.  I dunno.  

There seems to be so much more to get whipped into a frenzy about, sports is really like a luxury diversion.

Archived