LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

13 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

They're trading Sandstrom? I guess with his struggles and potential move to NA, they are smart to try and get something for him 

I read more into it, and it's possibly just a loan since HV71 has lost both goaltenders. As Appleyard explained it, Sandstrom's new team and his old team are battling for the playoffs and might even face off against each other. 

So, yeah. I don't know how that works lol. I don't know if they "trade" players the way they do in the NHL.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, brelic said:

I read more into it, and it's possibly just a loan since HV71 has lost both goaltenders. As Appleyard explained it, Sandstrom's new team and his old team are battling for the playoffs and might even face off against each other. 

So, yeah. I don't know how that works lol. I don't know if they "trade" players the way they do in the NHL.

Euro hockey leagues are weird 

4 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

They're trading Sandstrom? I guess with his struggles and potential move to NA, they are smart to try and get something for him 

That is his SHL trading him to them team that upset them last year in their title game.

Sandstrom has pretty much said he wants one more year in the SHL.

Lol half that stuff won’t work in the NHL. That other team looks like a bunch of pylons! 

Awesome stuff from Frost though. He could be our next Giroux. 

Couturier

Patrick

Frost

Laughton

Vecchione

Vorobyov

Rubtsov

Thats some sick center depth, with Patrick and Frost having a legitimate shot at being #1 centres in the NHL. 

On 2/9/2018 at 9:42 PM, brelic said:

Lol half that stuff won’t work in the NHL. That other team looks like a bunch of pylons! 

That's definitely the challenge with having players stay down in the minors for too long. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case for Sanheim, but though the A is a very good league, it is nothing compared to the NHL. There is no better indication of this than Sanheim (or even Weal) who seem to dominate at lower levels and struggle when they hit the big time.

Knowing when and how to introduce the Sanheims of the world to the big league has got to be one of the most important and challenging parts of building a contender.

I was listening to the Phantoms podcast and they were saying Aube-Kubel has been the best player since the new year. Laos and bounds beyond where he was as a rookie last year. 

That's great news! Could end up a middle six at some point. 

48 minutes ago, brelic said:

I was listening to the Phantoms podcast and they were saying Aube-Kubel has been the best player since the new year. Laos and bounds beyond where he was as a rookie last year. 

That's great news! Could end up a middle six at some point. 

Awesome. That Cambodia well for the future. :IDunnoSmiley:

Dustin Tokarski lead the Phantoms to a 5-0 shutout making 40 saves.

Goals by Goulbourne, Friedman, Vecchione, Fazleev and Mcdonald.

Three Stars

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Dustin Tokarski lead the Phantoms to a 5-0 shutout making 40 saves.

Goals by Goulbourne, Friedman, Vecchione, Fazleev and Mcdonald.

Three Stars

Our saviour?!?!  :hockey:

An update on our prospects from Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Quick-Hits-Long-Drought-in-Columbus-Flyers-CHL-Prospects-and-More/45/91020

Here's a snippet... That's some seriously good drafting.

With his two points last night, Frost became the first OHL player this season to hit the 90-point mark. He has to get 10 points in the final 13 games to reach 100 points. He leads the league with 57 assists, is sixth in goals with 33, and he tops the league with his plus-52. On faceoffs, Frost is a respectable 52.1 percent on the year.

To break Frost's numbers down a little further, you will see that he's been very consistent throughout the year in his all-around play. His offensive output, though, went from solid if unspectacular early for a draft-plus-one player to excellent for even a draft-plus-two guy.

First 13 GP: 4 G, 10 A, 14 PTS, +12
Last 41 GP: 29 G, 47 A, 76 PTS, +40

Within the last 41 games, Frost rattled off a 20-game point streak (16 G, 27 A, 43 PTS). After a single pointless game, he had points in nine straight games (5 G, 12 A, 17 PTS). His next pointless game was an awful one for his entire team including his line but it should be noted that Frost was initially credited with a primary assist on a first period power play goal and the assist was removed on an intermission scoring change after replays showed his attempted tap pass actually went off a opposing player before he could touch it. Last night, he had a two-point third period to spur the Greyhounds' comeback and earned third-star honors.

Narrowing it down to the last 32 games, Frost was credited with at least one point in 30 games (22 G, 40 A, 64 PTS); an even 2.00 points per game average in that span. Although Travis Konecny came on like gangbusters (31 GP, 23 G, 33 A, 56 PTS, +21) following his trade from Ottawa to Sarnia in 2015-16, Frost is actually ahead of that pace. In fact, the last Flyers prospect to match or exceed a two-point-per-game average for a span of 30-plus games was Claude Giroux as both a draft-plus-one and draft-plus-two player for the QMJHL's Gatineau Olympiques in both 2005-06 and 2006-07.

4) As noted atop this section of the blog, 13 players in OHL have scored 30-plus goals to date this season. Among those, seven are players taken in the 2017 NHL Draft and the rest are draft-plus-two or overagers. Impressively, three of 2017 draftees who've already hit the mark include Flyers prospects: Frost (33), second-round pick Isaac Ratcliffe (31) and fourth-round pick Matthew Strome (30). Additionally, last night, Owen Sound's Maksim Sushko scored his league-leading fifth shorthanded goal of the season and 26th overall.

5) QMJHL: Flyers 2016 first-round pick German Rubtsov returned to the Acadie-Bathurst lineup against Moncton on Wednesday after a five-game absence due to injury. He had a first period assist but was later booted from the game early in the third period on a checking-from-behind major. The Titan still won the game, 5-1.

Danick Martel scores two goals in return from jaw surgery to help Phantoms to 8-2 win

martelg1feb16.gif

martelg2feb16.gif

Corban Knight also pitched in with own hat trick on the night. John Muse gets the win.

Phantoms lead the Atlantic!!!!

Three Stars

WAY TO GO KID KEEP IT UP!!!!!

http://sonsofpenn.com/carter-hart-breaks-everett-silvertips-franchise-record-for-all-time-wins-with-108th-career-victory/

Hart made 30 saves in a 4-3 overtime win on Friday night. Hart won 18 games in 2014-15, 35 games in 2015-16, 32 games last season, and picked up his 23rd win this season to break the record.

Hart is now 23-4-1-2 on the season with seven shutouts. He leads the league by wide margins in both goals against average (1.57) and save percentage (.951). The second place goalie in both categories has a 2.78 goals against average and .916 save percentage. His numbers this season are insane.

With the conundrum the Flyers are facing currently in the crease after Brian Elliott’s injury, it’s nice to see the potential goalie of the future playing so well in the WHL.

Nice return from Ron's first draft.

2014 Entry                    
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2014 Entry 17 1 Travis Sanheim D Calgary Hitmen [WHL] 35 1 4 5 12
2014 Entry 48 2 Nicolas Aube-Kubel R Val d'Or Foreurs [QMJHL]          
2014 Entry 86 3 Mark Friedman D Waterloo Black Hawks [USHL]          
2014 Entry 138 5 Oskar Lindblom L Brynas (Sweden Jrs.)          
2014 Entry 168 6 Radel Fazleev C Calgary Hitmen [WHL]          
2014 Entry 198 7 Jesper Pettersson D Linkopings HC [SweHL]

So since Sandstrom is staying in the SHL for next year could Flyers sign Kirill Ustimenko to an entry level deal and bring him over with Hart on the Phantoms??

Kid is putting up some damn good numbers over there.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:59 PM, elmatus said:

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case for Sanheim, but though the A is a very good league, it is nothing compared to the NHL. There is no better indication of this than Sanheim (or even Weal) who seem to dominate at lower levels and struggle when they hit the big time.

I read here, it was more than just hockey that got Sanheim sent back to the A. The post I saw mentioned maturity issues...( i think it was in the Mrazek thread) .

Everyone matures at their own pace, with Sanheim I never thought "NHL hockey" was the full reason he wasn't playing. 

Folks here would be screaming about Manning getting minutes instead of Travis based on his small sample size.

Sanheim must have been dogging it in practice, or sulking over his minutes... who knows what. There had to be more to the story than hockey performance though. 

The guy is a first round pick with a **** pile of talent, if he needs to grow up off the ice so we don't see Mike Richards part deux....then I'm okay with him being in the A.  

Archived