Cap Space

vis

According to capfriendly.com, the Flyers have $12,528,333 in cap space available with 16 players under contract.  The only significant FAs include Weal, Stolarz and Vecchione.  They also have to sign Nolan Patrick.  Assume all four are re-signed and the Flyers end up with about $8m in cap space, with the only clear position to fill being goaltender.  Assume they allocate $4.0m to that position (could likely be less, imo).  So, conservatively, Hextall would have about $4m in cap space after those moves with no clear open roster spots.  Assuming a cushion of $1m and they are down to $3m in unused cap.

Anyone think Hextall leaves that much on the table?  Seems totally out of character for the Flyers.  Not sure how I'd feel about that.

Despite what others say, I do think they could use a veteran presence on defense.  Derek Engellend was a guy I was interested in but he's in Vegas now.  I would love to upgrade MacDonald, but they would be forced to take back an ugly contract in return (but clearly have some space to do that).

How would people feel about heading into the fourth year of the Hextall "don't call it a rebuild" rebuild with $3m+ in cap space not being used a season after not making the POs and missing in 3 out of the last 5?

11 minutes ago, vis said:

How would people feel about heading into the fourth year of the Hextall "don't call it a rebuild" rebuild with $3m+ in cap space not being used a season after not making the POs and missing in 3 out of the last 5?

I'd actually be OK with it because it's due in large part to younger, cheaper players holding spots and not because they didn't "want" to spend it.

Moreover, there's not a lot out there it should have been spent on. They don't want to lock up a goalie to a long term big money deal and there's really no LW UFA sitting out there that would plug a hole that might be closed by another younger, cheaper player anyway.

I know it's "not a rebuild" but that could be because there wasn't much "built" to "re" in the first place...

So let's say they're "building" :hocky:

@radoran

That's pretty much where I come out.  What's available in the UFA market that's worthwhile?  The two Washington d-men are going to get stupid money. The forward group is old and overpriced.  The goalies are dreadful.  

Just seems weird that the Flyers won't spend to the cap.

@vis

For me it would depend on whom that extra 3 million would be spent.

I have been reading this year's free agent market isn't very strong.

So who would be available that we'd want to spend that money on ?

Just a quick perusal at sport track and it seems all the marquee guys are 35 year old contract disasters waiting to happen, or guys we don't have any use for. 

I'd love for Nick Bonino to play for the Flyers but that would be like our 10th centerman.

I am hoping the team plays better with the insertion of the newer guys who will be hungry and are better skaters, especially on the blueline. 

Truly I don't see where spending to the cap helps us if we're looking to sign a UFA. Perhaps that money makes a sign and trade deal for some bonified scoring punch more accessible.

Just now, vis said:

@radoran

That's pretty much where I come out.  What's available in the UFA market that's worthwhile?  The two Washington d-men are going to get stupid money. The forward group is old and overpriced.  The goalies are dreadful.  

If you mean "won't" as in "will not" and not as in "refuse to" then we're on board.

They could wind up with 6+ guys on ELCs and/or making less than/around $1M. (Manning, Provolone, Konecny, Hagg, Morin, Patrick, Weal?...)

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

If you mean "won't" as in "will not" and not as in "refuse to" then we're on board.

Regardless of the reason, it's just odd to me that they would have so much cap space.  Not saying that in a bad way.  Just different, is all.  

Just now, vis said:

Regardless of the reason, it's just odd to me that they would have so much cap space.  Not saying that in a bad way.  Just different, is all.  

It's a new world order at Broad & Pattison.

Fun fact: the Pens have eight guys making $1.125M or less on their roster with four RFAs unsigned on a roster of 17.

Nashville has ten with 19 signed (albeit they still need three fowards and are carrying eight D on capfriendly).

That's really how things are done these days - a handful of guys get stupid money and you need younger, cheaper guys to flesh out the roster.

Of course, it helps if you spend the stupid money wisely... :cheers:

1 hour ago, vis said:

It is just June. July 1st is when it is time to sign. However besides Weal and a goalie they could be done.

The 3 mill or so could be a nice option for space if they later won't to add a piece or someone gets hurts and they need room to patch it.

I'm not upset if Ron wants options...in fact i prefer it.

#nocluewhatthefuucktheyaregoingtodo

Don't forget to cushion for bonus payments. Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim/Hagg/Morin, Patrick, and Lindblom all have potential performance bonuses which could result in an overage next year.

Archived