Draisaitl resigns 8x8.5mil per year

J0e Th0rnton

Wow that is a hunk of coin to give out.  Draisaitl really turned it on last year and had a breakout season. Now the Oilers have locked up one of the best, if not the best, young duos in the NHL.  Draisaitl and McDavid will terrorize NHL defenses for years to come.

So the real question is ....did Chiarelli overpay intentionally to drive up the market price for young players around the league?

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Wow that is a hunk of coin to give out.  Draisaitl really turned it on last year and had a breakout season. Now the Oilers have locked up one of the best, if not the best, young duos in the NHL.  Draisaitl and McDavid will terrorize NHL defenses for years to come.

So the real question is ....did Chiarelli overpay intentionally to drive up the market price for young players around the league?

Maybe.

Puljujarvi aside, they do not exactly have anyone left to worry about and his ELC is running. if they coyly ask Tmac hold Pulju down the lineup(Bring him up slow!) and not rack up any large point totals for the next 2 years from the 3rd line, they can sign him for 4x5 or something like that and worry about it later.

If strome busts out beside McDavid this year, its a different issue, but they can probably get high value in a trade for him if he truly breaks out and start juggling in forwards Chicago Blackhawks style around their dynamic duo.

@J0e Th0rnton, @pilldoc

-I have zero issue with GMs identifying their core and paying them a lot of money. It's when the complimentary players get paid that managers run into trouble.

-The Oilers take on risk with this deal as opposed to bridging him, but gain cost certainty. Which move is the superior one? I'll let you know in 7 or 8 years, though my gut feeling is that the bridge deal might have been the better play here.

-Leon finished 7th in playoff scoring despite playing only half the tournament, and I think that performance cost the Oilers about $1-$1.5M, I think. Before, I had guessed this contract, over this many years, would be in the $7ishM range.

-I doubt that ChiaPete did this to raise salaries.

-If a contract or two costs Chiarelli his job, I think it far more likely to be the Russell and Lucic deals.

-This must mean that Nugent-Hopkins' days as Oilers property are numbered.

-Oh, and: the Oilers have their 2nd most important locked up for nearly a decade. Nice.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Ooof

Let's count which teams are now pissed at Chiarelli.

Toronto for sure

Probably Buffalo.

Winnipeg

Boston for sure since Pasta was waiting to see what Draisaitl got.

Yeah what ever happened to a nice bridge deal....dear lawd....

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah what ever happened to a nice bridge deal....dear lawd....

Without condoning or condemning, GMs are paying big money to guys in their prime rather than when they're past it.

36 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Without condoning or condemning, GMs are paying big money to guys in their prime rather than when they're past it.

Yeah still he has had one 20 goal season. He never comes close again and it could be a boat anchor for 8 years.

Nothing wrong with signing a 4 or 5 year deal...then resign him again...oh well...

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah still he has had one 20 goal season. He never comes close again and it could be a boat anchor for 8 years.

Nothing wrong with signing a 4 or 5 year deal...then resign him again...oh well...

Oh, I get it. I said in my post above that I figure that a bridge deal is probably the better bet.

I think there are lots of teams hoping the League Cap will significantly rise in the near future.  Chiarelli is going to make a mess out of Edmonton, just like he did in Boston.

I think that Edmonton did the right thing in securing Mcdavid and Driasitl for the next few year and in my opinion, they deserve the money that they got. I think that they were one of the best duos in the league and by securing them, Edmonton acquired the backbone of a great team.

In my opinion, now Edmonton can go and sign the supporting crew that will make Edmonton a great team in the next years. Also, they got a great chance of winning the Stanley Cup in the next few years.

I believe that we can expect great things from Edmonton in the next few years with Mcdavid and Draisaitl are the core of this team.

Archived