Best and Worst Value "Heavy" NHL Contracts

TropicalFruitGirl26

McDBillJPG.jpg

Perhaps this can spark some discussion.

Was thinking of doing a poll, but far too many names to be put on that.

Instead, will do it this way.

I've compiled a list of big contracts various NHL teams have....and was wondering what our HF.net audience thought were some of the best valued contracts and which are some of the worst.

I know many on here cringe at the though of any single player making a bazillion dollars and being around till he's 50 in this cap strapped NHL, but sometimes, teams need to do what they need to do to keep players on board.

Below, I've put together a list of players from each team that meet these criteria for a "Heavy NHL Contract":

--Contract, NOT including this year, must have 3 or more years left on it.

--Contract must be at least $7M or more on the cap hit in AAV.

This means players like Paul Stastny, Pekka Rinne, Sergei Bobrovsky, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, The Sedins, Rick Nash, and Drew Doughty were left off even though they all make 7M or more, but are either on their final year of their contracts or will be after next year.

I DID add players like Jack Eichel and poster boy picture above, Connor McDavid, because even though they are far below 7M now, next year, their mega contracts kick in.

Some of the players left off the list probably will never see a contract of 7M or more again.....some, like Doughty (27), and possibly Stastny (31), and Bobrovsky (29), may very well have one more big contract available to them...but that will remain to be seen.

So here they are....hopefully formatting holds as this was originally on a plain text file.

Chicago -  Toews,29yrs, $10.5M, 5 years left
                   Kane, 29yrs, $10.5M, 5 Years left

Washgtn-  Ovechckin, 32yrs, $9.5M, 3 years left
                  Kuznetsov, 25yrs, $7.8M, 7 years left

St.Louis- Tarasenko, 25yrs, $7.5M, 5 years left

Boston -  Krecji, 31yrs,  $7.25M, 3 yrs left
                Rask,   30yrs,  $7M   , 3 yrs left

Anaheim-  Perry, 32yrs, $8.6M, 3 yrs left
                   Getzlaf, 32yrs, $8.6M, 3 yrs left

Minnesota- Parise, 33yrs, $7.5M, 7 yrs left
                     Suter,  32yrs, $7.5M, 7 yrs left

Pittsbgh-  Malkin, 31yrs, $9.5M, 4 years left
                  Crosby, 30yrs, $8.7M, 7 years left
                  Letang, 30yrs, $7.25M, 4 years left

Dallas  -  Benn  , 28yrs, $9.5M, 7 yrs left

Philly -  Giroux, 29yrs, $8.2M, 4 years left
             Voracek, 28yrs, $8.2M, 6 years left

Tampa Bay - Stamkos, 27yrs, $8.5M, 6 years left
                     Hedman,  26yrs, $7.8M, 7 years left

Ny Rangers-  Lundqvist, 35yrs, $8.5M, 3 years left

LA Kings -  Kopitar, 30yrs, $10M, 6 years left

Buffalo  - O'Reilly, 26yrs, $7.5M, 5 years left
                 Eichel, 21yrs,   $10M, 8 years left

Ottawa  -  Ryan, 30yrs,   $7.25M, 4 years left
                 Phaneuf, 32yrs, $7M,  3 years left

Nashville- Johansen, 25yrs, $8M, 7 years left
                  Subban, 28 yrs, $9M, 4 years left

San Jose-  Burns,   32yrs, $8M, 7 years left

Florida-  Ekblad, 21yrs, $7.5M, 7 years left

Winnipeg- Byfuglien, 32yrs, $7.6M, 3 years left

Montreal-  Weber, 32yrs, $7.85M, 8 years left
                  Price, 30yrs, $10.5M, 8 years left

Edmonton- Draisaitl, 22yrs, $8.5M, 7 years left
                   McDavid,  20yrs,  $12.5M, 8 years left

Not counting past performances (obviously guys in Pittsburgh, Chicago and Los Angeles would then be considered "sucessess", rightly so, due to their Cup wins), which contracts do you consider to be the best value, here today, and next year moving forward, based on
--Age of player
--Current and future potential performance
--Term
--Room left on team cap to sign quality complimentary players

Also, which are the worst, based on the same criteria...and also which ones you think the player will fall off the proverbial cliff in performance and leave his team hanging in the wind and himself subject to big time buyout.

I will see how many of you respond then chime in with my own.

Cmon, armchair HF.net GM's....I KNOW this is a subject many of you have strong opinions on. :)
Big money for money guys....or big money given to 'pretend' star players.
Which is which?

Red Wings pretty much everyone at least among the forwards.

Zetterberg 4 years remaining at 6 million 37 years old, plans on playing at most one more year and then because of the absurdity of the rules as written the Wings will be on the hook for a six million dollar cap hit for two additional years for a player who is not playing.

Tatar 4 years at 5.3 million for a player who is sporadic. Will score 25 goals but always in bunches then Houdini for long stretches.

Nielsen 5 more years at 5.25 million

Abdelkader 5 years at 4.25 million because he had a few good months years ago.

Helm 4 more years at 3.85 million

On defense

Dekeyser 5 more years at 5 million

Ericsson 3 more years at 4.25 million

Kronwall (the Ghost of Kronwall that is) 2 more years at 4.75 million.

The problem is not any one of these deals, it is the combined weight of all of them that disallows the Wings from rebuilding as the desperately need to do. It creates a huge problem next season when Larkin, Athanasiou and Mantha become arbitration eligible. 

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Red Wings pretty much everyone at least among the forwards.

Zetterberg 4 years remaining at 6 million 37 years old, plans on playing at most one more year and then because of the absurdity of the rules as written they colluded to circumvent the salary cap the Wings will be on the hook for a six million dollar cap hit for two additional years for a player who is not playing.

Fixed it for you...

This season and for the past seven seasons the Wings have had a player making $7.5M+ on the cap for a $6M cap hit. Did they benefit from the extra $1.5M in cap space? Of course they did. The Wings finished at least the past two seasons with $0 in cap space. They also project to end this season with $0 in cap space - so you might consider who wouldn't be on the roster if they had Zetterberg at his $7.5M hit.

If it happens, these are chickens coming home to roost. There's no "absurdity" about it.

In fact, he's now saying that he "could" finish out the contract as intended.

Which, of course, means that instead of $5.5M in dead cap space from a cap recapture penalty, it's probably more likely that they will take the "Pronger route" out of this situation and have a $6M LTIR space open up because of Zetterberg's "bad back" and "need" to "rehab" in Sweden...

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Tatar 4 years at 5.3 million for a player who is sporadic. Will score 25 goals but always in bunches then Houdini for long stretches.

Nielsen 5 more years at 5.25 million

Abdelkader 5 years at 4.25 million because he had a few good months years ago.

Helm 4 more years at 3.85 million

On defense

Dekeyser 5 more years at 5 million

Ericsson 3 more years at 4.25 million

It may even be that without that extra space from Zetterberg that some of these deals might not have been affordable (which, from the looks of it, might not have been a bad thing for you :hocky:).

I'll be pleased when these ridiculous length, circumventing contracts are a thing of the past. They are already illegal.

@radoran

Agreed, it is all BS the way the contracts were written, agreed that if Z retires it is the Wings fault for gaming the system but my problem is the system itself is/was just so inane. I will also be happy when these contracts become a thing of the past.

Hopefully if Zetterberg does decide to retire early he just goes on IR like Hossa did because his jersey made him itch. It certainly could not have been because he didn't want to play for a lousy million a year over the next four years. Sorry, I am still indignant that the Hawks weren't hit with the 5.25 million dollar cap hit for the next four years. Itchy sweater my ass.

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@radoran

Agreed, it is all BS the way the contracts were written, agreed that if Z retires it is the Wings fault for gaming the system but my problem is the system itself is/was just so inane. I will also be happy when these contracts become a thing of the past.

Hopefully if Zetterberg does decide to retire early he just goes on IR like Hossa did because his jersey made him itch. It certainly could not have been because he didn't want to play for a lousy million a year over the next four years. Sorry, I am still indignant that the Hawks weren't hit with the 5.25 million dollar cap hit for the next four years. Itchy sweater my ass.

Hawks still have Hossa on LTIR?

7 hours ago, radoran said:

Hawks still have Hossa on LTIR?

yep, the league approved it because Hossa breaks out in hives when he thinks of playing for only one million a year. 

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/10/3/16409406/marian-hossa-ltir-status-update-nhl-blackhawks-2017

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

yep, the league approved it because Hossa breaks out in hives when he thinks of playing for only one million a year. 

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/10/3/16409406/marian-hossa-ltir-status-update-nhl-blackhawks-2017

I think it's ridiculous, but then I think the league position on salaries is ridiculous.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

It's all relative for me. Salaries will continue to escalate which makes Crosby, Malkin and Letang bargains until (if/when) their play starts to decline. Then their is the whole Cup thing, too. :VeryCool:  If they win another before it's all said and done I don't think anyone will care what they are making or how they are playing when they are 37.  Such is life in a cap world.  McDavid makes $12.5M now because he's just entered his 3rd season in 2017. If he entered his 3rd season in 2008, he's making "Crosby" money. He's making what the market dictates. If he's the best player in the league at age 30 when the contract ends and the "next big thing" is making $15M per then Mr. McDavid will have reached bargain status.

@B21

Agreed on the contracts being relative.

Still, lots of negativity towards large, long term contracts.

Understandable given the risks and how often those contracts end up pretty bad in the long run.

But how about some positive ones. Probably not as many of those, but the NHL has a few.

I would say Sidney Crosby, not even counting his past Cup wins, is still a bargain today and moving forward.

In this day and age of double digit million AAV... 8.7M for the next 7 years is good for a player of his ilk who will likely continue to be satisfyingly productive even towards the end of the contract and even with diminishing skills.

My hometown guy, Steven Stamkos. 8.5M. He will only be 33 when that contract ends, and the only thing that could ruin his production is more freak accidents like he's had.

McDavid and Eichel SHOULD be good contracts if they continue their production on a regular basis.

McDavid is struggling a bit now, but he should end up with his points.... Eichel hasn't quite gotten it going as quickly as Edmonton's star, but again, he should soon enough.

But then, there is that 'relative' thing again. In 3 or 4 years, if either Edm or Buf still haven't won anything and their contracts are preventing the signings of other key pieces, we could say then the contracts are NOT so good.

Finally, I also like Tarasenko at 7.5M, given his production, projections moving forward, and the fact that he is only 25 and will still be a young veteran at age 30 when that contract is up.

Archived