Crosby and Pens continue to OWN McDavid and Oilers

yave1964

Scoring points is not the only thing that matters, winning is. Crosby continues to prove that the team game is most important thing, way more important than individual stats.Image result for crosby mcdavid

For the fourth time in his young career Connor McDavid played Sid Crosby and the Penguins, McDavid had his usual highlight reel game with two nice assists on both of the Oilers goals giving him seven points in the four games they have went head to head in, while Crosby finally dented the scorers sheet with an assist late in the second on a goal by Conor Sheary. It is the only point to date by Crosby in the head to head meetings between arguably the games best two forwards.

And yet the Penguins once again came out on top this time by a 3-2 count on a late goal by Geno Malkin.

McDavid played 22 minutes and was 5 of 12 in faceoffs with 25 shifts and only 2 shots on net while Crosby played just under 20 minutes taking almost every important faceoff only managing 13 wins in an absurd 33 faceoffs with 3 shots in 27 shifts. Crosby took his all over the ice while the Oilers tried their best to get McDavid featured in the offensive zone. In my opinion it featured the games best offensive player in McDavid versus the games best two way player, the most complete forward in the game today in Crosby. Image result for crosby mcdavid

Point total now 7-1 for McDavid 

Record now 4-0 in favor of Crosby. Sadly they are now done for the year.

You know, I've been saying for awhile now....the Oilers have what it takes to win.

They have talent, they have speed, they have good players at key positions.

But these games against the Penguins, who have, oh, I dunno, ONLY won the Cup the last two years, are real measuring sticks for Edmonton.

In many ways, the two teams are similar....but IMO, where they differentiate BIG TIME, is overall experience of the key players (that's pretty obvious), but also team depth..

A fully healthy Edmonton team can skate and score with anyone...but if a top player is injured, or isn't playing up to his potential, the Oilers don't have the depth players to be able to 'tread water' till the key players come back or find their game.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, ALWAYS seems to have quality depth guys.

So Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, or Letang don't have good games. So what. They have Rusts, Shearys, Hornqvists, Dumoulins, and something called a Kunhackl to step in, step up, and do the job.

It's why they are champions.

Those stats they showed during the broadcast of the last game....where Connor McDavid's personal stats outweigh Sidney Crosby's in their head to head meetings.

That is fantastic for the Oilers.

But the bottom line is, Crosby's team is the one that keeps coming out with the win....usually because although Crosby was shut down, the Pens come up with other ways and other players to get the W.

And these matchups show why, though Edmonton has the potential to win a title sooner than later, they still have a ways to go to make that plan a reality.

Who better to measure themselves against than the two time champs after all, right?

Its hard to say that the Pens and Crosby "own" McDavid and the Oilers at this time.  Its toooooo early. Edmonton is still building their team around McDavid. Give them some time. 

I mean, its not like the whole Crapitals and the playoffs thing yet. As long as that keeps up, we're okay with Edmonton winning a few regular season games.   :VeryCool:

8 hours ago, B21 said:

NHL not doing a good job of promoting the "passing of the torch". Neither game was on national TV.

Just sayin'...

Maybe it is because Crosby is not ready to pass the torch.......

It kind of reminds me of several Wing fans who consider the Lightning to be our current arch rival, but like I tell them, for it to be a rivalry the Wings have to win every now and then and we simply get smoked by the Bolts every time, lol. Same with the torch, when McJesus finally starts winning a few of these, lets talk then about a torch.....

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Maybe it is because Crosby is not ready to pass the torch.......

this.

All I can think of is Ric Flair...."well Mean TFG, to be the man, you gotta beat the man  Woooo,  and this G-3 flyin', Rolex wearin' face off winnin' ref yappin' king of ice mountain ain't goin' nowhere....So Conner Mc Baby you can bring all your best stuff because Imma be styilinl' and profilin' all over the league till i'm tired of it ! Wooooo"

LOL....all this torch business is pretty funny.

I DON'T think that's what @B21 was talking about, however, when he was talking about 'passing torches'.

I think he meant more in terms of the NHL itself and promoting the stars on the Pens and Oilers head to head for TV purposes.

ON the ice, Crosby and Co. would rather keep the torch for as long as they possibly can. It's just the way of athletes.

Look at Jagr. That guy is gonna make someone RIP the damned torch from his decayed dead hands before he passes it to anyone... :bigteeth:

Good stuff overall though, guys! :)

26 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL....all this torch business is pretty funny.

I DON'T think that's what @B21 was talking about, however, when he was talking about 'passing torches'.

I think he meant more in terms of the NHL itself and promoting the stars on the Pens and Oilers head to head for TV purposes.

ON the ice, Crosby and Co. would rather keep the torch for as long as they possibly can. It's just the way of athletes.

Look at Jagr. That guy is gonna make someone RIP the damned torch from his decayed dead hands before he passes it to anyone... :bigteeth:

Good stuff overall though, guys! :)

Yeah - this. Maybe "heir apparent" is more appropriate. Either way - HAVE to have at least one of those games on national TV.

Archived