Foie Gras

yave1964

Wow are the Ducks   decimated right now. 

I make no apologies for the admiration of the Duck organization, smart drafting, intelligent use of the cap to keep the players who they want, using free agency as a tool rather than an end all be all, the Ducks do so much right which is why year in and year out they are right in the thick of things. But now Ducks GM Bob Murray and coach Randy Carlyle are dealing with something that no team wants to face, a decimating run of injuries.

It started in the conference finals last year when Ryan Kesler had hip surgery and the initial prognosis of 12 weeks turned into six months. He has not yet appeared in a game this season and will likely be out until around Christmas.

Young talented blueliner Sami Vatanen missed the first month with a shoulder injury and while he is back some feel he rushed back and is still feeling the effects.

Cam Fowler, one of the most complete young defensemen in the game injured his knee on the day that Vatanen returned and will be out until sometime in mid December.

Patrick Eaves who scored 32 goals last season and was expected to provide offense in a top six role has appeared in only 2 games all year due to various ailments and with nerve damage being the latest his return is completely up in the air.

Ryan Getzlaf broke his cheekbone in a game in late October and after Surgery is hoping to return before the end of December.

Ondrej Kase who has been filling in nicely for Eaves left last nights game with an apparent head injury.

Ryan Miller, the backup goalie missed the start of the year.

John Gibson lost his helmet and took a stick to the head and was forced out of last nights game with a potential concussion. 

Every team has injuries. Before last nights game in which Kase and Gibson were forced out (a spirited hard battle against the Kings that they lost in overtime) coach Carlyle said, "every team has injuries, we cannot use them as an excuse, we have to go out there and play the men who are here and battle for every point." he said it with his usual snarl but he has to be wondering what the hell is going on. IMHO the West's top team is sitting at 6-6-3 and on a four game skid since losing Getzlaf needs to catch a break and ry to hold on for a month or longer until Fowler, Getzlaf, Eaves and Kesler return and the biggest of the big is hoping that Gibson was not seriously injured in last nights game.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

What an awesome game last night vs the Kings.  Granted the Kings won this in OT but the Ducks put up 43 shots on Gibson.

Yes.

Loved to see Quick snap versus Perry to.

So Ron Hextallesque to see.

And then to steal the win.

When they lost to Chicago in the WCFs, I thought that was their one shot to win the Cup since they did so in 2007. I just don't think they are going to win the Cup for the foreseeable future, but they have a good amount of talent. I really can't put my finger on why they haven't gotten over the hump recently.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived