Cammalleri traded to Oilers

yave1964

Kind of a curious trade yesterday between Edmonton and the Image result for mike cammelleri kings Kings, the Oilers shipped washed up veteran winger Jussi Jokinen to theImage result for jokinen oilers Kings forMike Cammalleri.

Cammalleri had signed a 'show me deal with the Kings, a one year deal on the cheap and really has not been bad, 7 points in 15 games but has been a healthy scratch a few times and has fallen from top six minutes down to third line mop up duty. Adrian Kempe and Alex Iafello have captured the heart of King fans by scoring and their non stop motors, forcing Cammalleri out. GM Rob Blake spoke icily about the winger, reading between the lines he is clearly glad to be rid of the veteran winger.

"I don't think he enjoyed the role that he was in, by any means," said Kings general manager Rob Blake, who declined to say whether Cammalleri requested a trade. "I won't tell you a lot about our conversation, but what I will tell you is we came to the conclusion that it wasn't going the direction he wanted it to."

Going the other way is Jokinen who will be the 13th forward for the Kings, he was signed for depth scoring by the Oilers in the hopes that he would help with young Euros such as Pakarinen and Khaira but most especially former first rounder Puljujarvi but none have impressed and most important Jokinen has one point in 18 games and has been a bust.

Cammalleri might end up on the top line, at the least he will be a top six winger with the Oilers and has a chance to get his flagging career back on track. Not sure if he has any bullets left in his gun, but if so he should get to firing them.

I asked the question in the chat box yesterday, "Why would the Kings do this??"

Because, in all honesty, this trade CLEARLY slants in Edmonton's favor.

I mean, Cammalleri is enjoying a revival season to this point, while Jokinen has done little to nothing in that same span.

Now, when I asked the question yesterday, I was not aware that the LA GM and Cammalleri were seemingly NOT on good terms.

I DO understand that guys like Kempe and Iafello are doing well, but still....was it foolish of Kings management to demote Cammalleri so abrubtly?

Camms season was going well, and if, in the long run, LA intended to parlay that (I.E. they had no intention of keeping him on past this season) into a trade, why not just leave Camms in the top six, let him continue to play well and raise his value THEN make a trade and get a player back of some consequence?

Maybe there is even more to this than is being let on, but even if LA wasn't going to keep Camms at the end of the day, I think they fumbled majorly here.

In light of the comments coming from Rob Blake, it seems this trade was made simply to get Camms out of the Kings organization, regardless of what came back.

Bad hockey trade IMO, but like I said, the screw up could have already been made from the start by dropping a veteran like Camms so quickly to the bottom six when he was doing well in the top six.

IMO, in that case, the younger guys can play the waiting game, you keep the vet happy till a good deal can come along, THEN make the trade, the vet stays happy as he will go somewhere where he is WANTED for their top six and LA can then get a decent player in return.

As it stands now, Edmonton won this EASILY, and while Camms may not cure all that ails them, it certainly is worth it to them to give him a shot to try and help jumpstart the Oiler offense once again.

The Oilers lost NOTHING here and have the possibility for big gains.

LA's mishandlings is Edmonton's gain.

Cammalleri looked absolutely finished last year with the Devils and basically quit on the team, so I don't know how much he has left in the tank. Still, he can't be any worse than Jokinen, so maybe it works out for the Oilers. He's also guaranteed to get injured at some point.

I say that the Kings have probably swung a nice deal for themselves here, and think the Oilers bought high and sold low.

-Cammalleri has a GoalsFor% of 58.3, but a CorsiFor% of only 43.8, meaning that he is unlikely to keep producing.

-Jokkinen has a GoalsFor% of 20, but a CorsiFor% of 58.3, so he's likely to much more likely to begin to produce, and should be a contributor towards the LA puck possession game. He's also a much better fit for LA's system.

Archived