Who should replace Hakstol?

King Knut

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@ruxpin

Well Mike Keenan has been relieved of his head coach job in Russia so he is available!!!

gpoEU76.gif

Yeah, someone else offered him as a choice. I think you're being ironic, but still have to say he quite possibly could be the worst possible choice. I'd rather stay with Hakstol. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, someone else offered him as a choice. I think you're being ironic, but still have to say he quite possibly could be the worst possible choice. I'd rather stay with Hakstol. 

Why? Stevie Wonder would be a better choice as coach for this team than Dave Hakstol. At least with Keenan, he has a great track record of success. Hakstol has done nothing on the pro level. I don't care if Keenan overworks them, and tells it like it is and how it's going to be. I don't care if he hurts the young players feelings. Time to grow up kids, you're in the NHL. Or, maybe the kids aren't cut out for it.

9 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Why? Stevie Wonder would be a better choice as coach for this team than Dave Hakstol. At least with Keenan, he has a great track record of success. Hakstol has done nothing on the pro level. I don't care if Keenan overworks them, and tells it like it is and how it's going to be. I don't care if he hurts the young players feelings. Time to grow up kids, you're in the NHL. Or, maybe the kids aren't cut out for it.

No Keenan doesn't. What has he done other than bumble **** his way through the last two decades? He's so bad he couldn't even find work in North America. He had to go all the way to Russia only to be fired because he sucks so bad he couldn't make it work even there. 

Yes, Stevie Wonder could maybe do better than Hakstol. That doesn't say that Hakstol isn't better than Keenan. 

He simply cannot be a serious answer. He's not remotely relevant to a discussion of an NHL head coaching job. 

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Or maybe the kids need some real guidance and direction and Keenan will offer that. I'm sure people are rolling their eyes, but I remember when he was coach the first time around and Keenan was really a good coach.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No Keenan doesn't. What has he done other than bumble **** his way through the last two decades? He's so bad he couldn't even find work in North America. He had to go all the way to Russia only to be fired because he sucks so bad he couldn't make it work even there. 

Yes, Stevie Wonder could maybe do better than Hakstol. That doesn't say that Hakstol isn't better than Keenan. 

He simply cannot be a serious answer. He's not remotely relevant to a discussion of an NHL head coaching job. 

OK, so you're saying he's lost his mind and coaching touch because he went to Russia for awhile? I don't buy it. I seem to remember him taking a Flyers team younger than this one to the Stanley Cup finals in 1985.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Or maybe the kids need some real guidance and direction and Keenan will offer that. I'm sure people are rolling their eyes, but I remember when he was coach the first time around and Keenan was really a good coach.

Can we please be serious?  We're talking about almost 25 years ago.  The two Calgary teams almost a decade ago (the last time he coached in the NHL, by the way) were the ONLY teams he coached to better than 4th in a division since 1995.

He couldn't begin to help these kids. You want to lose the entire team, bring in Kernel ********. 

He's a loser. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Can we please be serious?  We're talking about almost 25 years ago.  The two Calgary teams almost a decade ago (the last time he coached in the NHL, by the way) were the ONLY teams he coached to better than 4th in a division since 1995.

He couldn't begin to help these kids. You want to lose the entire team, bring in Kernel ********. 

He's a loser. 

The entire team IS LOST, and he is exactly what they need.

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The entire team IS LOST, and he is exactly what they need.

Good God. No, I'm saying please contact reality. Look at his record, it's quite clear he lost his coaching ability long before. He was out of coaching for FOUR seasons before going to Russia. Why?  Because he was an epic failure for over a decade who destroyed every team he went to. 

And don't give me the Rangers cup. Stevie Wonder could literally have won with that team. He had a good thing in Philly. That was THIRTY years ago. 

Literally 2 teams better than FOURTH place in over a decade and now out of the NHL for 9 years and people are saying his name with a straight face.  Jesus. Too bad Danny Ozark isn't available.  

Good God. No, I'm saying please contact reality. Look at his record, it's quite clear he lost his coaching ability long before. He was out of coaching for FOUR seasons before going to Russia. Why?  Because he was an epic failure for over a decade who destroyed every team he went to. 

And don't give me the Rangers cup. Stevie Wonder could literally have won with that team. He had a good thing in Philly. That was THIRTY years ago. 

Literally 2 teams better than FOURTH place in over a decade and now out of the NHL for 9 years and people are saying his name with a straight face.  Jesus. Too bad Danny Ozark isn't available.  

Good choice. Danny's dead.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Good choice. Danny's dead.

And no more or less worthless than Keenan.  It ranks as one of the dumbest things I've seen on a message board.

"Hey, let's get a 68 year old  guy to work with kids who is so bad he couldn't get a job in the NHL for 9 years and who had 2 teams finish better than FOURTH place in a a five team division in 15 years before that.  Yep, he's EXACTLY what we need."

Are you seriously with this crap?

Literally hasn't made it to the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs in 21 years.   HE'S EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED!

-85 Philadelphia Flyers NHL Head 80 53 20 7 0 0.706 Lost in Finals
1985-86 Philadelphia Flyers NHL Head 80 53 23 4 0 0.688 Lost in round 1
1986-87 Philadelphia Flyers NHL Head 80 46 26 8 0 0.625 Lost in Finals
1987-88 Philadelphia Flyers NHL Head 80 38 33 9 0 0.531 Lost in round 1
1988-89 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Head 80 27 41 12 0 0.413 Lost in round 3
1989-90 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Head 80 41 33 6 0 0.550 Lost in round 3
1990-91 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Head 80 49 23 8 0 0.663 Lost in round 1
1991-92 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Head 80 36 29 15 0 0.544 Lost in Finals
1993-94 New York Rangers NHL Head 84 52 24 8 0 0.667 Won Championship
1994-95 St. Louis Blues NHL Head 48 28 15 5 0 0.635 Lost in round 1
1995-96 St. Louis Blues NHL Head 82 32 34 16 0 0.488 Lost in round 2
1996-97 St. Louis Blues NHL Head 33 15 17 1 0 0.470  
1997-98 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 63 21 30 12 0 0.429 Out of Playoffs
1998-99 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head              
2000-01 Boston Bruins NHL Head 74 33 26 7 8 0.547 Out of Playoffs
2001-02 Florida Panthers NHL Head 56 16 29 8 3 0.384 Out of Playoffs
2002-03 Florida Panthers NHL Head 82 24 36 13 9 0.427 Out of Playoffs
2003-04 Florida Panthers NHL Head 15 5 8 2 0 0.400  
2007-08 Calgary Flames NHL Head 82 42 30 0 10 0.573 Lost in round 1
2008-09 Calgary Flames NHL Head 82 46 30 0 6 0.598 Lost in round 1

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And no more or less worthless than Keenan.  It ranks as one of the dumbest things I've seen on a message board.

"Hey, let's get a 68 year old  guy to work with kids who is so bad he couldn't get a job in the NHL for 9 years and who had 2 teams finish better than FOURTH place in a a five team division in 15 years before that.  Yep, he's EXACTLY what we need."

Are you seriously with this crap?

Honestly, I would rather have Darryl Sutter come in here than Keenan, but I am not impressed with a lot of other candidates who I would consider to be available or not meh. (At least the ones I know of.) Oh wait, let's recycle Hitch again instead.:eyeroll:I want an experienced coach in here, but not Hitch and not one Hextall can control because that coach is lucky to have an NHL job.

10 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Honestly, I would rather have Darryl Sutter come in here than Keenan, but I am not impressed with a lot of other candidates who I would consider to be available or not meh. (At least the ones I know of.)

Yeah, as far as proven coaches go, Sutter is currently the only one really available. But that's largely due to the time of season.   You'll see more names at the end of season. 

I'm not advocating for him, but Coach Q will very likely be available.  Is he the right guy to start with such a young team?  I don't know, actually.  Hard to argue with his track record, but does it apply to the Flyers situation?  Hard to say.  I'd entertain any answer on that one.

Todd McLellan will likely be available.  But if he can't make it work with what he has on the Oilers (and I think he was ultimately a failure in San Jose), I have no idea what he's going to be able to do in Philly.   Sometimes it's style versus team construction, so maybe.   I'm skeptical.

Guy Boucher will likely be available.  Talk about frying pan into fire.  If you can figure out what the hell he's doing in Ottawa, you're a smarter guy than I.  I really think 90% of the problem in Ottawa is the coach.

Jeff Blashill will be available.  He may actually be an option.  I think the team is really poorly constructed in Detroit.  On the other hand, most of his young kids have really regressed under him, so that's a danger.

Barry Trotz.   The Caps would have to run out of patience, but it's always possible.  Not sure which way to argue on that, but I'd consider this one at least.   Something is wrong when you can't win with that cast, but I'm willing to wager the thing that's wrong is Ovechkin.

But if they were to do it now and bring from the outside,Sutter is probably as good a guess as any.  I'd be okay with it.

Yeah, as far as proven coaches go, Sutter is currently the only one really available. But that's largely due to the time of season.   You'll see more names at the end of season. 

I'm not advocating for him, but Coach Q will very likely be available.  Is he the right guy to start with such a young team?  I don't know, actually.  Hard to argue with his track record, but does it apply to the Flyers situation?  Hard to say.  I'd entertain any answer on that one.

Todd McLellan will likely be available.  But if he can't make it work with what he has on the Oilers (and I think he was ultimately a failure in San Jose), I have no idea what he's going to be able to do in Philly.   Sometimes it's style versus team construction, so maybe.   I'm skeptical.

Guy Boucher will likely be available.  Talk about frying pan into fire.  If you can figure out what the hell he's doing in Ottawa, you're a smarter guy than I.  I really think 90% of the problem in Ottawa is the coach.

Jeff Blashill will be available.  He may actually be an option.  I think the team is really poorly constructed in Detroit.  On the other hand, most of his young kids have really regressed under him, so that's a danger.

Barry Trotz.   The Caps would have to run out of patience, but it's always possible.  Not sure which way to argue on that, but I'd consider this one at least.   Something is wrong when you can't win with that cast, but I'm willing to wager the thing that's wrong is Ovechkin.

But if they were to do it now and bring from the outside,Sutter is probably as good a guess as any.  I'd be okay with it.

Coach Q likes teams that are small, but fast, quick, forecheck like demons and open it up. Sutter likes big teams, that play physical, wear teams down on a forecheck and play air tight defense. I'd be more than fine with Coach Q as well if he were to become available. It just depends on what style you think benefits your team the most. 

And Lindy Ruff is out there.  He's an assistant with NYR so you'd have to get permission and if you did it midseason, I bet it would cost a draft pick.  But I wouldn't be interested in Ruff even if NYR paid us to do it.   I really don't like him as a coach.

I can't think of anyone else.

Someone said Kevin Dineen.  I'd entertain that, but he certainly doesn't make your "proven" criteria.  And he, too, is currently an assistant so I don't see that happening during the season.  And after the season, if the Black Hawks don't keep Coach Q, they may be looking to Dineen themselves.

I can't think of other options.

Just now, FD19372 said:

Coach Q likes teams that are small, but fast, quick, forecheck like demons and open it up. Sutter likes big teams, that play physical, wear teams down on a forecheck and play air tight defense. I'd be more than fine with Coach Q as well if he were to become available. It just depends on what style you think benefits your team the most. 

That's a terrific point I hadn't thought of.   Yeah, Coach Q might actually be better for the way the Flyers are currently constructed.   And now that you mention it, Sutter may actually not be a great option.   I think if they do it midseason, you're looking at someone from within at least on an interim basis (Knoblauch or Gordon).  I'm not highly thrilled with either choice, but I think that's the way it will go.  They may come up with other options in June.

My fear, honestly, is that Knoblauch or Gordon gets interim and the team bounces like teams often do after a change.  And they do well enough that it suckers management into continuing with one of them.  And in the fall of 2019, we're having this exact conversation all over again.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And Lindy Ruff is out there.  He's an assistant with NYR so you'd have to get permission and if you did it midseason, I bet it would cost a draft pick.  But I wouldn't be interested in Ruff even if NYR paid us to do it.   I really don't like him as a coach.

I can't think of anyone else.

Someone said Kevin Dineen.  I'd entertain that, but he certainly doesn't make your "proven" criteria.  And he, too, is currently an assistant so I don't see that happening during the season.  And after the season, if the Black Hawks don't keep Coach Q, they may be looking to Dineen themselves.

I can't think of other options.

God knows, Dineen would be their front-runner because of his "Flyer ties". However, his short stint in Florida wasn't long enough or productive enough for me to be sure he could be a long haul answer for this team. He's a heck of an assistant coach from what I've seen, though.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think it's not only Ovechkin, but I don't like the way Washington's defense is constructed. I also think that team has a general "ticker" problem. You can't fix all of that with a coach. Your GM needs to do something as well. I like Trotz, but not sure I like him more than or as much as Sutter.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

I think it's not only Ovechkin, but I don't like the way Washington's defense is constructed. I also think that team has a general "ticker" problem. You can't fix all of that with a coach. Your GM needs to do something as well. I like Trotz, but not sure I like him more than or as much as Sutter.

Me neither.

As for the Caps, yeah, you can't fix all that with the coach.  God knows they tried several times.   I think it's nail on the head with "ticker" more even than defense (but despite their efforts to bring people in, there's definitely that, too).  

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

OK, so you're saying he's lost his mind and coaching touch because he went to Russia for awhile? I don't buy it. I seem to remember him taking a Flyers team younger than this one to the Stanley Cup finals in 1985.

The legendary NHL bench boss, who has spent the past four seasons in the KHL, was dismissed by the Kunlun Red Star late Saturday.

The Red Star have won 11 of 37 games this season.

Keenan originally held both titles as general manager and head coach, but was relieved of his GM duties Tuesday. Keenan will remain with the team in an advisory role.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1437599-khl-s-red-star-fire-coach-mike-keenan

Keenan is the Worst possible replacement coach.

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry for the Keenan comment was merely joking.

Didn't mean to start a firestorm!

In your defense, I took it and ran with it. I'll shoulder some of the blame.

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

In your defense, I took it and ran with it. I'll shoulder some of the blame.

Yeah but you're about to give my buddy Rux a heart attack and he's old...

...even in dog years.

:haha2:

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but you're about to give my buddy Rux a heart attack and he's old...

...even in dog years.

:haha2:

Yeah, but you can always teach an old dog new tricks.:VeryCool:

Archived