Nolan Patrick: BUST????

caluso

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree fully. Very fast team 

Yup. To a man.

So, big game tonight. What's on the menu?

Podein Jr brought a bunch of craft beers over last night, sort of delayed Xmas present, I'm hoping to try a few out. She also brought me some great music. She has your good taste in music thank god.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well damn that's not encouraging. :bonkingheadonwall:

It's encouraging for Team Canada! I like Patrick, I really do, but he lacks some foot speed. I'm sure he's working on it

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

It's encouraging for Team Canada! I like Patrick, I really do, but he lacks some foot speed. I'm sure he's working on it

I'm really hoping he can work on this.  It was the main reason I kinda wanted to end up getting Hischier, but Patrick has other things going for him Nico doesn't.  They just need a bit more work to be as good as they can get.  

I'm also hoping as he gets into better shape it'll all start working better too.

Last two games have been very strong for him all around.  

18 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yup. To a man.

So, big game tonight. What's on the menu?

Podein Jr brought a bunch of craft beers over last night, sort of delayed Xmas present, I'm hoping to try a few out. She also brought me some great music. She has your good taste in music thank god.

Watched it (and the bronze game...it was aloooong shift of Jamesons and beer) with about 20 friends at a sports bar...Hooligans. Its one of those places that Vader lends out his 40 foot plasma to...

:IDunnoSmiley:

So how were the beers and what kind of music? (LOL at my good taste...I have friends who beg to differ...but you're right :newyear:

My observation from today's game against the Blues was that Patrick is getting a tad more comfortable/engaged but seems to be trailing the action.  He doesn't seem accustomed to the speed of the game around him; his skating is not that great.  

I don't think he's a bust by any stretch - way too early to say either way.

But I do think he would have been better served in juniors. Maybe a good comparison is Dylan Strome.

3rd overall, drafted in 2015. Going in to his draft year (2014-2015), he finished with 129pts in 68 games (1.9 ppg). Much higher than Patrick in his draft year, or any year he played in junior. Not sure how different the offense is in both leagues, but I digress.

So they sent him back, figured he had stuff to learn still. He finished his draft+1 year (2015-2016) with 111 points in 56 games (1.98 ppg).

In 2016-2017, he played 7 games with the Coyotes (1a, -5), and 35 games back in juniors, ending with 75 points (2.14 ppg).

In 2017-2018, he's played 11 games with the Coyotes (1g, Even +/-), and 21 games with the AHL Roadrunners. He's got 13g, 20a (33 points) so far. 

He will probably end up a #1C for the Coyotes if he continues to develop, but the point is even if he has dominated lower leagues, they figured he wasn't ready for the NHL and could still learn something without ruining him.

I think that would have been the case with Patrick this year - he would have been better served in juniors because every player develops differently, and he hasn't shown enough in the NHL, in my opinion. He's the 4th best center out of 4, and he wouldn't be ruined by spending his draft+1 year in juniors. 

But I truly think that Hextall had  him penciled in as the #2/3 center, and then they traded Schenn.

On 06/01/2018 at 8:48 AM, flyercanuck said:

Watched it (and the bronze game...it was aloooong shift of Jamesons and beer) with about 20 friends at a sports bar...Hooligans. Its one of those places that Vader lends out his 40 foot plasma to...

:IDunnoSmiley:

So how were the beers and what kind of music? (LOL at my good taste...I have friends who beg to differ...but you're right :newyear:

Cheers buddy, lol at the Vader reference

All kinds of craft beer, the market is just silly with choices, both local and from all around the world. What a time to be alive!

Archived