It’s official, Hakstol hates Neuvirth

Samifan

Hakstol, “I’ve decided to start Brian Elliott every game until Carter Hart is ready to be a full time starter in the NHL. I also told Hexy that by not having a backup goalie it will free up a couple of million to sign another Dale Weise type of player. You can never have too many of those type guys on your roster.”

I am saddened to think that about Ellliott's usage.  The organization's development of goalies is a big question mark and the one with some battle hardening (Stolarz) is injured.  I was surprised that Neuvirth got a two-year deal given his injury history.  He clogs the roster again next year...that ticks me off.  

The other "problem" along those lines is Elliott next year--if nobody comes to the fore Hextall is forced to sign him to another contract, probably multi-year.  That may or may not be a good thing if he continues to perform but this time he may want more than two-years.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I am saddened to think that about Ellliott's usage.  The organization's development of goalies is a big question mark and the one with some battle hardening (Stolarz) is injured.  I was surprised that Neuvirth got a two-year deal given his injury history.  He clogs the roster again next year...that ticks me off.  

The other "problem" along those lines is Elliott next year--if nobody comes to the fore Hextall is forced to sign him to another contract, probably multi-year.  That may or may not be a good thing if he continues to perform but this time he may want more than two-years.

I wonder what the hell is the plan going into next year i can't see Neuvy being the backup again he is just too unreliable for another year in that role.

Wonder if Hak has a plan to go after college free agent and former kid he recruited to ND Cam Johnson? They could entice him here with the promise of a shot with a backup role next year....just like they did with Lyon...whom they haven't even given a chance.

I don't think it would work...again promise to burn a year of his entry level deal like they did with Lyon and Vecchione.

Elliott has averaged about 45 GP/year the past 3 seasons (42GP, 46GP, 49GP).  He's at 31 GP this year and it's not even the halfway mark.  Even if Neuvirth comes back, remains healthy and gets a sizable number of games, that's a lot of PT for Elliott.  He hasn't started 50+ games since 2010/11.  He was 25 then.  He's 32 now.  Not sure how well he will hold up if this team is trying to make a PO push in the second half.  

On 12/30/2017 at 11:39 AM, Samifan said:

Hakstol, “I’ve decided to start Brian Elliott every game until Carter Hart is ready to be a full time starter in the NHL. I also told Hexy that by not having a backup goalie it will free up a couple of million to sign another Dale Weise type of player. You can never have too many of those type guys on your roster.”

Doesn’t Everyone hate Neuvirth?

11 minutes ago, vis said:

Elliott has averaged about 45 GP/year the past 3 seasons (42GP, 46GP, 49GP).  He's at 31 GP this year and it's not even the halfway mark.  Even if Neuvirth comes back, remains healthy and gets a sizable number of games, that's a lot of PT for Elliott.  He hasn't started 50+ games since 2010/11.  He was 25 then.  He's 32 now.  Not sure how well he will hold up if this team is trying to make a PO push in the second half.  

Playoff push started when they lost 5 in a row.  Then they lost 5 more.  

Its go time from from here on out.  

The larger peoblem as i as I see it is Stolarz’s injury.  He could have stolen the backup job had he been healthy.  

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Neuvirth isn’t here because they like him or because he’s good.  He’s here because Hextall was hoping Vegas would draft him and becaus Mason was asking for a bigger deal at the time.  That’s it.  Mason agrees to A shorter deal with Hextall and I can almost guarantee he’s Vegas’ goalie this year not Fleury.  

Hextall has no choice but to resign one of his goalies or risk losing Stolarz.  Neuvy demanded less than Mason.  McPhee got a shot at at Fleruy... now We’re stuck with Neuvy.  

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder what the hell is the plan going into next year i can't see Neuvy being the backup again he is just too unreliable for another year in that role.

Wonder if Hak has a plan to go after college free agent and former kid he recruited to ND Cam Johnson? They could entice him here with the promise of a shot with a backup role next year....just like they did with Lyon...whom they haven't even given a chance.

I don't think it would work...again promise to burn a year of his entry level deal like they did with Lyon and Vecchione.

if Stolarz is healthy they will probably Waive Neuvy and go with him as backup and Neuvy will back up Hart in LV And barring disaster will be the one called up if anyone gets hurt. 

Something has to be done about the backup situation next year if not addressed this year.  if they truly have PO aspirations, I do not think they can go another season with Elliott playing as much as he has.  However, I'd be surprised if Hart, Stolarz or Lyons got the gig next year.  And what do you do with Neuvirth?  Does he have any trade value?  I get that teams may look for a backup at the trade deadline, but why would anyone trade for someone as unreliable as Neuvirth?  Guy has an awfully weird medical history.  Btw, do we know what incident caused this latest stint on the IR?  Would it make sense to buy him out and sign a backup in the offseason assuming Hart, Stolarz or Lyons don't emerge as viable candidates by season's end?

1 hour ago, vis said:

Something has to be done about the backup situation next year if not addressed this year.  if they truly have PO aspirations, I do not think they can go another season with Elliott playing as much as he has.  However, I'd be surprised if Hart, Stolarz or Lyons got the gig next year.  And what do you do with Neuvirth?  Does he have any trade value?  I get that teams may look for a backup at the trade deadline, but why would anyone trade for someone as unreliable as Neuvirth?  Guy has an awfully weird medical history.  Btw, do we know what incident caused this latest stint on the IR?  Would it make sense to buy him out and sign a backup in the offseason assuming Hart, Stolarz or Lyons don't emerge as viable candidates by season's end?

Everything has been done already.  Hextall and the organization have done everything one would want them to do about this issue, but unfortunately a few unforeseen issues have stacked the cards against them.  They went into this season with two potential NHL goalies in Stolarz and Lyon.  Stolarz got hurt and Lyon is playing very poorly for some reason.  

Those two are supposed to be battling for the long term backup role.  They should be playing without any hesitation.  I don't know why Lyon is bad this year.  But he seems to just be bad this year.  Stolarz... well that's crappy luck.  Hopefully he does't end up having the track record Neuvirth does, but the crazy stuff he was going through for the Flyers and Phantoms at the end of last year couldn't have helped strengthen his ligaments -remember when he got pulled off a bus headed to Scranton so he could be Uber'd to Philly because Mason and Neuvy had the flu... Mason didn't dress and Neuvirth passed out before a face off?

Next year is a completely different story.  They already have two guys who should be establishing themselves as the backup now.

Sandstrom has some kind of core issue.  I'm hoping he gets it looked at by the guy who fixed Giroux and Ghost, but I don't know how that works... they probably have some pretty good Doctors in Sweden, but this guy is supposed to be the best in the world and both G and Ghost look to be fixed (even if it took a full 18 months to recover).

Carter Hart is playing very well in juniors and the IIHF World Juniors. He will be AHL eligible next season.  There are rumors that the organization is thinking he's NHL ready now... but frankly, I think he needs to play in the AHL for at least the better part of next season if not the whole thing just to get used to the idea of bigger players being total jerks in his crease and getting away with it. 

If he wasn't hurt Stolarz would be the back up now and would be playing games.

Contrary to most, I don't think it's because he's just no good or that they don't like him that Neuvirth isn't getting starts yet.  I genuinely think it's probably because he simply hasn't looked ready to return to action in an effective way yet.  

If he'd have been ready, there'd have been no reason not to start him against Buffalo.  Even if he was bad.  As it was, I think I'd have liked to have seen Lyon anyway.  I think the team would have played better in front of a rookie making his first NHL start than they did with someone they've really come to trust backstopping them.

The team played consistently well with Stolarz behind them last year.  Extremely well actually.  As a result his first foray into to pros made him look very good.  Maybe better than he actually is.  

Once again, this is one of the things that I hate about Hakstol.  I love some of his systems, but the man has zero "feel" for the game as a result, he has mishandled the goalies consistently since arriving in Philly.   Prime example was stating Mason in a key game against NJ last year over Stolarz while Neuvirth was hurt.  New Jersey was terrible and on their way to winning the lottery already.  Mason had started a million games in a row and had NEVER beaten NJ in his entire career.  Stolarz is a Jersey Native who would have been playing in front of a ton of friends and family and would really have wanted to show something to everyone.  THERE WAS NO REASON TO START MASON AND MANY REASONS NOT TO.   Hak started mason.  Mason was bad that night (to be fair, he was pretty effing tired) the Flyers lost a game they needed to win.  

Anyway, I digress...  Hextall actually did a pretty good job on this.  Letting Jeff Reese quit may have been moronic in Hextall's part, but he actually stacked the goalies in the system better than he ever stacked the pads in net himself.  

Archived