Game 45: Leafs at Flyers, 1/18/18 @ 7

Howie58

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he'll be much better by March....some nice pursuit by him...

...his hustle needs to spread....

As a side note, I was 100% convinced the trivia question would be about Lindros! So disappointed lol!

Ok, I'll ask my own question! 

Lindros finished 4th in voting for the Calder trophy. Teemu Selanne rightly won it with 76 goals, 56 assists, 132 points. Staggering! Will anyone ever come close to that again????

Who finished second in voting?

- Vladimir Malakhov

- Joe Juneau

- Felix Potvin

No cheating! Lol

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This was Neuvy's game but I think we are seeing that Nolan may have been worth drafting.  The last few games he's gone from dazed and confused to participating and contributing.  Konecny's pass was beautiful.  And the guys didn't collapse after falling behind.  Good effort...team win. 

The thing about the game winner that I liked was Couturier waiting on the shot and intentionally putting it behind Andersen.  Becasue of positioning and him having to wait for Konex to get across the blue line and Coots just not being a speed demon, he inherently knew not to one time it because Andersen will have seen the pass coming all the way and will have had plenty of time to get across... So he sits on it an extra split second and puts it almost casually where Andersen just was instead of where he was going to.  Shows a lot of poise and growth.

That shot from Patrick is what has had me so psyched about him.  His hands are solid gold.  They are so quick and so sneaky.  He can do things with the puck no one on this team can and few Flyers have ever had the ability to do.  Wedging his way in and getting the shot off at that angle before the defender or the goalie even knew he was there... priceless.  

He's been playing better for several weeks now, it's nice to start seeing some dividends.  The attitude with which he chased down the puck and used his size or leverage (rather than brut strength) is very promising  Something that Jake or Coots could do, but neither one has anything remotely close to those hands... and they're both having amazing years. 

Patrick has a TON of potential for this team. 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Will anyone ever come close to that again????

No...

...teams are more committed to overall defense now days...

...and they are bigger and faster players now....along with bigger equipement for the goalies.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Ding ding! We have a winner!

He’s my ex gf’s cousin. I never met him though. 

I'm finally a winner!!!!

I want to thank my mom and dad for help making this possible.

I also want to thank all my teachers from high school who believed in me and always had my back that one day....one day i will answer a random NHL question right....without cheating!!!!

Now where is my damn trophy!!!

A really interesting read by the Leafs blogger:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jay-Greenberg/At-Least-The-Leafs-Know-How-Much-They-Have-to-Grow8230/251/90495

Here are a few highlights:

So, while there is a long way to go in this chapter of the Leaf saga, anxiety already is part of the process. If not for a spirited rally from a 3-1 third-period deficit to beat hapless Ottawa last weekend, the Leafs would now be 11 games without a regulation win. Part of this slide are consecutive overtime losses against St. Louis and at Philadelphia that included blown two goal third-period leads and classic cases of caution-to-the-wind overtime brain lock suffered by William Nylander and Jake Gardiner.

As a result, goalie Frederik Anderson felt the need for a post-game public scolding. “We have to figure out who wants to commit to playing for the team,” Andersen said after his team left the key in the lock for the Flyers to escape. “We’ve got to look at the attitude. 

“I think a lot of guys on the bench (would be) pretty frustrated to not be on the power play and seeing that kind of effort (on a shorthanded Wayne Simmonds goal). I think we have to look each other in the eyes and determine where we want to go from here. 

“It’s lack of effort at certain points and it can’t happen. We have to figure this out if we want to play any meaningful hockey later.”

The same growing pains are felt on every team. Interesting quotes from Anderson, though, calling out his mates like that.

To reach the pinnacle requires hard-earned knowledge that what you thought was your best effort wasn’t even close. Sometimes it also takes a change of coach--not likely in this case, with Babcock signed until Matthews can start collecting his NHLPA pension –or a transformative trade, like Butch Goring to the Islanders or Ulf Samuelsson and Ron Francis to the Penguins, or Stephane Matteau and Steve Larmer to the 1994 Rangers.

I think the bolded quote is bang on. That's the kind of thing our rookies and young guys can only figure out from experience. Even getting their a$$es handed to them in a first round exit will teach them a valuable lesson about their 'best effort.'

When it rains, it pours; rookie Andreas Borgman goofed on the first two Colorado goals in a 4-2 Toronto loss on Monday night. But even allowing for inevitable orthopaedic pain and growing pains, the Leafs, as presently constituted even with the talented Gardiner, are without a true No. 1 defenseman. And they missed a grand opportunity to get one in the 2015 draft. 

Mitch Marner, fourth-overall pick that year currently doing penance on the fourth line after being stripped by Nolan Patrick on the goal that ignited the Flyer comeback, is fast and exciting and on his way to becoming a consistent 30-goal scorer eventually. But will that ever have the value of the anchor defenseman, Ivan Provorov, who went seventh? 

Not that the Leafs were not the only team that missed out. Even if Pavel Zacha, looking entirely ordinary so far, becomes what the Devils hope, Ray Shero, is minus a Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith or somebody who can grow into one. And New Jersey will be sharing a division with Provorov for a long time. 

Kevin Shattenkirk’s struggles with the Rangers have been reminder that true ace defenseman can’t be bought in free agency. They rarely are available in a trade, either. And champions like the Penguins, who repeated last year with Kris Letang on the shelf, will be the exceptions. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

But will that ever have the value of the anchor defenseman, Ivan Provorov, who went seventh? 

Short and sweet?

No.

Guys like Ivan don't come along very often for sure.

And when it's time to extend him Flyer can baically hand him a blank check.

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Short and sweet?

No.

Guys like Ivan don't come along very often for sure.

And when it's time to extend him Flyer can baically hand him a blank check.

Lots of people think he'll sign a bridge deal, and my reply is: why should he? at 20 years old, he was already this team's #1 defenseman and has just gotten better.

He has no reason to sign a bridge deal

40 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Lots of people think he'll sign a bridge deal, and my reply is: why should he? at 20 years old, he was already this team's #1 defenseman and has just gotten better.

He has no reason to sign a bridge deal

If I'm Provorov i just might (and I'm not saying he should). His offensive game is still evolving...so he could sign a bridge and get more, long term, on his next contract. 

I'm hoping they give him max years at a reasonable deal though.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If I'm Provorov i just might (and I'm not saying he should). His offensive game is still evolving...so he could sign a bridge and get more, long term, on his next contract. 

I'm hoping they give him max years at a reasonable deal though.

He's going to get paid.

Archived