Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

21 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Kravtsov would be a concern to me.

Yep...telling you this kid has jumped up on everyone's board....you and i aren't the geniuses we thought we were....sadly...

I thought he wouldn't get past the Isles at 11.  I can't see the Oilers taking another forward at #10.

Wonder if they would be worth trading with to jump in front of the Isles. They draft their Dman at #12.

So my gut tells me if you want Kravtsov you better be willing to move up to do it.

I think Hextall has proved he is not afraid to move up and get a guy. See Konecny and Frost.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OccamsRazor

We can take some solace that we were somewhat early on the Kravstov bandwagon.  I can be a mini-genius in my own mind.  Lol. 

If the Flyers move up to 10, I could see us not coming away with Kravstov, but now by choice.  I could see them being very tempted to take whichever of Boqvist or Smith is available.  I'm actually fine with that, but, well, you know. 

I wonder about Edmonton as a trading partner. I personally think they should go defenseman. So if I'm them and I'm fairly certain the Islanders are taking a defenseman with one of their picks, I want to stay ahead of them so I have options. 

But if I'm offering Simmonds and Gudas and the 19 for RNH and the 10, maybe. 

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But if I'm offering Simmonds and Gudas and the 19 for RNH and the 10, maybe. 

I actually quite like this idea. That said, this is Chiarelli. Gudas and a bag of pucks for McDavid?

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So if I'm them and I'm fairly certain the Islanders are taking a defenseman with one of their picks, I want to stay ahead of them so I have options.

I think it comes down to Dobson being on the board if he is there they don't trade back.

They could trade back got Jet Woo which i'm not a big fan of that early or just reach for a guy i think is climbing to late...

...and i like a lot K'Andre Miller.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think it comes down to Dobson being on the board if he is there they don't trade back.

They could trade back got Jet Woo which i'm not a big fan of that early or just reach for a guy i think is climbing to late...

...and i like a lot K'Andre Miller.

Back at #19, I like K'Andre Miller and Rasmus Sandin.    I'm assuming Bode Wilde is still there.   I don't want him.  I think his offensive top-side is highly exaggerated.  But at #19 you might be doing okay if you're the Oilers and you want a defenseman.   Or you get one of the other two.   If the Flyers are using that pick, I'm going Miller or Sandin.  My problem with Miller is that he again is a college kid and will probably take all 4 years to figure out how to play defense (he converted from wing a year or two ago).  But he's a big kid and has some offense in him, so it may be worth it.   Both Sandin and Miller are LHD, so neither has an advantage that way.   

I don't have muc interest in Woo with our picks where they are.   He's a bit "meh" to me..  I think he goes second round somewhere in the  mid- to late-30s.   Someone like the Rangers maybe take him with one of their two twenty-something picks.

I think Dobson might have made his way into the top 5, but it's hard to say how many go defense that early.  Ottawa might take him, especially if they do move Karlsson.  Of the defensemen, he's my second pick behind Dahlin.   I guess then Bouchard, Quinn, Boqvist, but I'd take Boqvist if he somehow fell to us.

I don't know.  It'll be interesting, huh?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-thw-writers-nhl-mock-draft/

Kravtsov does not get past the Isles in this draft... :(  ... I think @ruxpin you are correct... If the Flyers / Hexy want him, then I think it is imperative that the Flyers trade up to get in front of the Isles. (just IMHO)

11. New York Islanders: Mark Scheig – Vitaly Kravtsov

Assuming John Tavares re-signs with the Islanders, they need to add skill on the wings. In Kravtsov, you get perhaps the best combination of pure skill and size available in this part of the draft. Oh and he has great hands and can skate well.

For giggles The Hockey Writers have the following picks for Flyers ......

14. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Mark Scheig – Barrett Hayton   (although Ty Smith is available and goes to Panthers at #15)

You can never have enough center depth. In Hayton, the Flyers get one of the smartest players in the draft. He can also play in any situation. Hayton would join his Soo Greyhounds teammate Morgan Frost in the Flyers’ organization.

19. Philadelphia: Mark Scheig – K’Andre Miller  (Kupari  (Ottawa #22) and Lundestrom (LA Kings #20) are still on the board here so is Sandin (Toronto #25) )

The Flyers continue to build a solid foundation of prospects with the addition of Miller to their blue line. He’s a big defenseman who plays the body well and is an effortless skater to boot. He’ll crush you one moment and quickly play the puck the next.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

14. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Mark Scheig – Barrett Hayton   (although Ty Smith is available and goes to Panthers at #15

Boy does that pick bore me. I honestly go Kupari before him. I won't hate a Hayton pick, I'll just be "meh." 

I'm okay with Miller. Just okay. He is a big dude, though. 

And yeah, we may have to move up for Kravstov. If the Isles don't take him, I'm scared the Stars do. 

One of the other writers for The Hockey Writers has this for the Flyers ......

Philadelphia Flyers

14) Joel Farabee (LW, USA, NTDP U18)

19) Bode Wilde (RHD, USA/Canada, NTDP U18)

with Dallas ...

13) Dallas Stars — Vitali Kravtsov (RW, Russia, Chelyabinsk KHL)

Agreed ... we both posted the same thing about this the other day.   

You know, if I still have 14 and Kravstov is gone but Smith is there, I'm going defense at 14 and see who's at 19. I may end up trying to trade back to Chicago's 2nd pick or somewhere in that range. 

One of the other writers for The Hockey Writers has this for the Flyers ......

Philadelphia Flyers

14) Joel Farabee (LW, USA, NTDP U18)

19) Bode Wilde (RHD, USA/Canada, NTDP U18)

Yeah, I saw that. I'd be really unhappy with that. I'd be okay with Farabee --just okay--but i think Wilde is overrated.  He's an RD, so maybe, but I'm really unexcited about that draft. 

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I saw that. I'd be really unhappy with that. I'd be okay with Farabee --just okay--but i think Wilde is overrated.  He's an RD, so maybe, but I'm really unexcited about that draft. 

you as I was reading up preparing for the HF.net Mock Draft, there are very few players I would want the Flyers to draft.  Now that is not saying this is a weak draft nor am I saying there less than talented players.  As I mentioned above, I really think Hexy might make a move to get ahead of the Isles and Dallas to get the player he wants.  I agree with you, I really think Edmonton goes defense.

21 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

you as I was reading up preparing for the HF.net Mock Draft, there are very few players I would want the Flyers to draft.  Now that is not saying this is a weak draft nor am I saying there less than talented players.  As I mentioned above, I really think Hexy might make a move to get ahead of the Isles and Dallas to get the player he wants.  I agree with you, I really think Edmonton goes defense.

I think there are some good players in that range but all have their things to work on. Probably a given any year in that range. But it makes a lot of the picks unexciting. 

If I've already picked Smith at 14 and can't trade 19, I may even just take the second defenseman. If they work out, it may give me a better trade chip later than, say, a Denisenko. 

I wouldn't go in with the intent to get two defensemen, and I appreciate arguments against, by I may do that. 

Kupari is my first fall back from Kravstov, though. 

“I don’t see much difference at all between 3 and 12,” Button said.

Interesting comment from Button and I kind of agree.

So teams could either just take a guy who fills a hole instead of BPA if the hole is bigger.

Or trade back and pick up extra picks.

This is why I am ok if they just stay put and take the best player at 14 and 19.

But with that said I would love to jump in front of the Isles to take Kravtsov if they have plans to move up.

At 14, I'm fine with either Veleno or Kravtsov, if either are available. If they aren't, I'm hoping for either Barrett Hayton or whoever might be falling (because let's face it, there's a faller every draft). At 19, I'm hoping they go a little off the board. If they're looking for defense, I'd like to see them take a look at a guy like Jacob Bernard-Docker, who has been compared to Jaccob Slavin. If they aren't looking in that direction, then I'd like to see them draft a guy like Akil Thomas or Jonatan Berggren. I get going the safe route, but at the same time, I read a very interesting article from Hextall talking about the draft and how he hates the word 'safe' because the goal is to draft the player with the highest upside. That's why part of me thinks Hextall is going off the board with one of the picks.  

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At 14, I'm fine with either Veleno or Kravtsov, if either are available. If they aren't, I'm hoping for either Barrett Hayton or whoever might be falling (because let's face it, there's a faller every draft). At 19, I'm hoping they go a little off the board. If they're looking for defense, I'd like to see them take a look at a guy like Jacob Bernard-Docker, who has been compared to Jaccob Slavin. If they aren't looking in that direction, then I'd like to see them draft a guy like Akil Thomas or Jonatan Berggren. I get going the safe route, but at the same time, I read a very interesting article from Hextall talking about the draft and how he hates the word 'safe' because the goal is to draft the player with the highest upside. That's why part of me thinks Hextall is going off the board with one of the picks.  

I'm good with Thomas or Berggren. I think for Berggren you stay at 19, but for Thomas you may risk trading back to 24.  

I'm not excited about Veleno.  If both he and Hayton are available, I think I go Hayton.    Veleno seems like a smart kid and good two-way.  I wonder if he isn't someday captain material.   He wouldn't be horrible.

Bernard-Docker is interesting to me. He's got some size at 6'1' and an RD.  It really could be a reach at 19.  I actually think there's even money he's still there at 50.  He wouldn't be ready if/when we lose someone to Seattle, but that's not a dealbreaker to me.  Certainly would be off the board at 19.  I like him, and I guess it's possible with Hextall, but at #19 I think there are better options. 

I voted for Veleno and Miller.

I see Hextall drafting a center at #14 and a d-man at #19.  Sure he could take a winger too but there is always seems more emphasis placed on getting solid centerman.

Veleno and Hayden are a toss up for me and if either are available at #14 that's who I think Hexy will draft.

At #19 I think Hextall drafts a d-man and Miller is my choice over other available  D-man who are less than 6 ft tall. I hope size is important factor in Hextall's choices as the Flyers as a group are one of the smallest teams in the NHL and often lose puck battles for the lack of muscle.

I'll be very happy with his choices as long as both draft picks are over 6' tall.  (sounds kinda lame, I know )  :IDunnoSmiley:

If the Flyers take Noel I'll be upset. I'm betting he falls out of the first round.  Same with Samuelsson. 

Lundestrom is interesting to me. That would be a good left wing grab. 

Wow, a lot of people picked Jesperi Kotkaniemi in the poll.  I don't disagree with the pick or the talent, but I think that's going to require a significant trade up.   The #7 pick, I think, but even that may not do it.   I think it takes both 1st round picks and maybe something.   I'm on board depending upon what the "something" is.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Wow, a lot of people picked Jesperi Kotkaniemi in the poll.  I don't disagree with the pick or the talent, but I think that's going to require a significant trade up.   The #7 pick, I think, but even that may not do it.   I think it takes both 1st round picks and maybe something.   I'm on board depending upon what the "something" is.

There are serious rumblings that he may be the Habs' guy at 3. 

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

There are serious rumblings that he may be the Habs' guy at 3. 

I like that pick better at #3 than Tkachuk, actually.  I've seen Tkachuk and think that's a mistake.

Archived