2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

9 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I don't think you draft a goalie with the intent that he will make a good back up. Go after someone with the intent that they will start for you someday. If they don't hack it as a starter, them maybe they do make a good back up. If you go after a back up and they can't hack it, you've got bupkiss...

Why not? People get drafted to fill in bottom-6/3rd pairing all the time. Someone always needs to be at the number 2 guy. Better to get one that does it with pride game in and game out, than getting someone who's bitter because he didn't cut out to be the next superstar. That's my opinion at least.

Stalock for example is a guy that does his job with pride. He's no Hasek, but he gets the job done well enough. Raanta was a good backup in Chicago and New York. So good that he's a starter now. Carter Hutton is one of the better backups in the league. Grubauer is another. Thanks to Bernier filling in for Varlamov, the Avs got to the playoffs.

If you have a upcoming starter in the system, draft a backup (with a starter potential) and develop him as such. Every team needs a working goalie tandem. Would be a different situation if we didn't have any starters in the system. Then I'd draft a starter for sure.

But I do see your point!

Anyways, the way I see it. Wild needs a top pairing D first, a good C second followed by a RW. Goalie situation isn't that pressing but needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Cheers for the read, really enjoy your articles. 😎

I'd personally go for a D on the 1st round. We sorely need one or two top-4 defenders. If Miller isn't available when we get to pick, I'd go with Samuelsson or Bode Wilde, though I'm guessing Wilde is gone even before Miller. But one can dream! Now if none of them are available? Vitali Kravtsov (I know he's a forward. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:)

Of our 3rd rounders, one probably has to be a goalie. Question is, do we want a backup or a rival for Kahkonen? Kahkonen has had a good year, so I'm guessing the Wild management wants to develop him to be a future starter. Hopefully the transition from Euro ice to North American ice is smooth for him. As for the pick? Jacub Scarek, if we go for rivalry, Jared Moe if backup.

The rest of the 3rds? Chase Wouters would be one. From the looks of it, he's even a potential captain in the future. If we go by work ethic alone that is. For the last one I can't really say. Ryan O'Reilly? Can play C and RW. Has leadership experience. Could fill the leadership void in Iowa. Matej Pekar? USHL Rookie of the Year.

O'Reilly has skating issues.  That always scares me away.  Its one thing if they say could be quicker, but when they mention a significant lack of speed it makes me hope they avoid those players like the plague.  More than ever, speed is important to be able to thrive in the NHL.  Matej Pekar is an intriguing player.  Ryan O'Reilly?  Meh, don't bother.  

12 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

The plus side is Fenton is supposedly defensively oriented. But I can see the Wild sitting back and relying on Seeler and Saucy then going after a forward.

Saucy Soucy!  Soucy to me still could use some time in the minors.  The cup of coffee in the playoffs was nice, but I still think he needs to add strength.  Seeler is kind of like Prosser, you kind of know what you're going to get and I think he handled the pace of play the best out of the call ups from Iowa.  Yet, I think they need more options...on their blueline.  

Belpedio might be able to contribute someday.  I know Lonkkis mentioned it, but Belpedio has been a leader everywhere's been; whether in college or with the USNDNT.  He also is the only defensive prospect we have that seems to have some offense to his game.  

It would be nice to get a player like Miller to give us a player that could project more into playing in our Top 4.  Because right now all of our options are to round out the bottom pairing unless some significant development happens.  

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Saucy Soucy!  Soucy to me still could use some time in the minors.  The cup of coffee in the playoffs was nice, but I still think he needs to add strength.  Seeler is kind of like Prosser, you kind of know what you're going to get and I think he handled the pace of play the best out of the call ups from Iowa.  Yet, I think they need more options...on their blueline.  

Belpedio might be able to contribute someday.  I know Lonkkis mentioned it, but Belpedio has been a leader everywhere's been; whether in college or with the USNDNT.  He also is the only defensive prospect we have that seems to have some offense to his game.  

It would be nice to get a player like Miller to give us a player that could project more into playing in our Top 4.  Because right now all of our options are to round out the bottom pairing unless some significant development happens.  

I will be very surprised if Miller is available at #24.

2 minutes ago, Davey J said:

I will be very surprised if Miller is available at #24.

The scouting reports I've read have him somewhere between #20-#30.  Could someone draft him prior to that...certainly.  I heard his interview was great; one of the best of this draft class too.  I just hope that if he is available this team is smart enough to draft him.  So far, I believe Fenton is a pretty smart cookie.  But this draft will tell me a lot.  

52 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I never said Seeler and Soucy were ready for a full time gig. I was suggesting the team could feel the Wild are good enough defensively (again) and go for another forward.

Personally I could care less if the Wild find a decent offensive minded d-man. They already have a plethora of them that keep failing.

What the hell ever happened to getting a d-man that can crush opposing players and keep them the hell away from our net?

If we had strong enough offensive players (not lacking on offense) we wouldn't need d-men to shore up that end so much. Likewise if we had strong enough defenders we wouldn't need offensive players needing to play better on defense (when your defense is lacking in that department.)

While I know balance is crucial on both ends of the ice... But when you can't find it you need to find players that can at least get you back to the fundamental basics.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

O'Reilly has skating issues.  That always scares me away.  Its one thing if they say could be quicker, but when they mention a significant lack of speed it makes me hope they avoid those players like the plague.  More than ever, speed is important to be able to thrive in the NHL.  Matej Pekar is an intriguing player.  Ryan O'Reilly?  Meh, don't bother.  

Really? Haven't heard that he has skating issues. Only thing I heard was that he had a foot/ankle infection in the end of last year, which could contribute. Otherwise people mentioned that he's a decent skater. Thought he'd be a adequate pick because he's a scorer, which we know we need. And he looks like he's comfortable with parking himself in front of the net.

CCM / USA Hockey All - American Prospects Game - O'Reilly goal

O'Reilly goal

Scores twice vs. Cedar Rapids

Oh well! On the first vid we can even see K'Andre Miller contribue. 😎

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The scouting reports I've read have him somewhere between #20-#30.  Could someone draft him prior to that...certainly.  I heard his interview was great; one of the best of this draft class too.  I just hope that if he is available this team is smart enough to draft him.  So far, I believe Fenton is a pretty smart cookie.  But this draft will tell me a lot.  

He's high on my list too...maybe even on the top of it.   I would, however, try to acquire Darnell Nurse as well (for Brodin + or Spurgeon with the Oilers adding).  Having a future left side of Nurse, Miller and Seeler/Soucy would make a lot of forwards think twice about crowding the crease...

2 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

I'ts like we never left the WMB! :lol:

Its kind of like an old married couple...but its funny.  Neither scenario will happen.  I think there is a distinct possibility that the phrase, "we have a trade to announce" might be the one Wild fans may want to be watching the draft for; perhaps for the first time since 2011 when they made the Brent Burns deal.  

35 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Its kind of like an old married couple...but its funny.  Neither scenario will happen.  I think there is a distinct possibility that the phrase, "we have a trade to announce" might be the one Wild fans may want to be watching the draft for; perhaps for the first time since 2011 when they made the Brent Burns deal.  

Largely forgotten (missed) in Leipold's presser when he fired Fletcher and started rambling on about making a few tweaks... He stopped himself short when he started to say 'we may need to make a trade.' Ever since then I've been expecting some type of trade move but I'm sure he's quite selective with who may or may not be brought up in conversations.

42 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Or this one...which still makes me laugh.  

^ That's all about What's in the Water!

Every person in the building was gasping while the Dumpster sat there grinning ear to ear. That's the kind of crap Minnesota does for it's 'core players' while not thinking about what's best for the team. It was nothing more than just another failed experiment.

Not slighting Demitra here in the slightest. Had the team figured out how best to use him wouldn't have been too bad (in itself) but even back then as a fairly decent player his hands were tied the same as they've handcuffed just about every other player who's come here.

4 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Really? Haven't heard that he has skating issues. Only thing I heard was that he had a foot/ankle infection in the end of last year, which could contribute. Otherwise people mentioned that he's a decent skater. Thought he'd be a adequate pick because he's a scorer, which we know we need. And he looks like he's comfortable with parking himself in front of the net.

CCM / USA Hockey All - American Prospects Game - O'Reilly goal

O'Reilly goal

Scores twice vs. Cedar Rapids

Oh well! On the first vid we can even see K'Andre Miller contribue. 😎

First sentence from Future Considerations..."A sluggish winger who does not move very well.  He is extremely slow out of the break and doesn't move laterally, almost like his feet are stuck in mud moving side to side."  

"Late round guy because of bad feet" - NHL Scout

HockeyProspect.com noted how skating a is a big weakness for this kid.  They mentioned he's got a great shot and will shoot from anywhere but someone has to feed him the puck because he just doesn't have the wheels or quickness to do it himself.  So yea...I'm 100% not interested.  

5 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

^ That's all about What's in the Water!

Every person in the building was gasping while the Dumpster sat there grinning ear to ear. That's the kind of crap Minnesota does for it's 'core players' while not thinking about what's best for the team. It was nothing more than just another failed experiment.

Not slighting Demitra here in the slightest. Had the team figured out how best to use him wouldn't have been too bad (in itself) but even back then as a fairly decent player his hands were tied the same as they've handcuffed just about every other player who's come here.

Demitra was a decent trade, Trevor Lewis isn't a game breaker for the LA Kings.  Solid but still a bottom 6 forward.  

11 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

First sentence from Future Considerations..."A sluggish winger who does not move very well.  He is extremely slow out of the break and doesn't move laterally, almost like his feet are stuck in mud moving side to side."  

"Late round guy because of bad feet" - NHL Scout

HockeyProspect.com noted how skating a is a big weakness for this kid.  They mentioned he's got a great shot and will shoot from anywhere but someone has to feed him the puck because he just doesn't have the wheels or quickness to do it himself.  So yea...I'm 100% not interested.  

Yeah, started digging a bit more and I found the same statements. Shame, otherwise seemed like a good choice. Though if his feet were fast, he most likely would he higher up in the rankings.

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Demitra was a decent trade, Trevor Lewis isn't a game breaker for the LA Kings.  Solid but still a bottom 6 forward.  

The Wild still didn't use him right.

52 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

The Wild still didn't use him right.

That's not Demitra's fault.  I'm saying the trade was decent, we didn't lose much for what we gained.  While Demitra didn't shatter records, he helped bring out more in Marian Gaborik and that was kind of the whole point of the trade.  

agreed on Demitra felt he was a good guy to pair with Gaborik. I also think we need to find guys with a little more attitude and or selfishness and by that I mean towards the game and not the coach/organization. So find guys who aren't looking to pass the puck up all the time and guys who can really get under others skins but not be just your typical goon like player. It's kind of hard to explain but the Minnesota Twins had a player at one time who fit this bill perfectly and it was AJ Pierzynski. He just this thing about him that he brought to the locker room and to the field whether it was his Bat flips or how he wasn't afraid to show someone on another team up and just really irked the other players to a point where they may intentionally throw one at him square in his back and then he might go charge the mound or get really animated at the guy for doing that. Now not saying we need a whole team of guys like this but I think if the Wild had a guy or two on the team that presented themselves this way it could certainly benefit us for the better.

10 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

agreed on Demitra felt he was a good guy to pair with Gaborik. I also think we need to find guys with a little more attitude and or selfishness and by that I mean towards the game and not the coach/organization. So find guys who aren't looking to pass the puck up all the time and guys who can really get under others skins but not be just your typical goon like player. It's kind of hard to explain but the Minnesota Twins had a player at one time who fit this bill perfectly and it was AJ Pierzynski. He just this thing about him that he brought to the locker room and to the field whether it was his Bat flips or how he wasn't afraid to show someone on another team up and just really irked the other players to a point where they may intentionally throw one at him square in his back and then he might go charge the mound or get really animated at the guy for doing that. Now not saying we need a whole team of guys like this but I think if the Wild had a guy or two on the team that presented themselves this way it could certainly benefit us for the better.

The Wild don't have a player that really seems to want to have the puck on their stick when the game is on the line.  When we absolutely we need a goal, in most cases our guys are looking around at their teammates and saying, "you want this, because I don't."  I've always stated that for any young player, call up or what have you...if you want to stand out, be a bit greedy and shoot the puck early and often.  As soon as you conform and hesitate and start passing your value greatly diminishes and pretty soon that call up / opportunity comes to an end.  Zucker wanted nothing to do with the puck in the playoffs.  Same was true of most of the Wild's players.  There are only a few during the regular season that seem to want the puck; Staal being one of them...sometimes Parise.  On occasion Zucker or Nino.  But too many are just happy being there...dishing the puck, whether that's a good idea or not.  Because they either don't want the pressure or lack the confidence to bury it.  When the going gets tough in the playoffs; not only do we have guys that mostly want to pass first, but if they do shoot they'll only do from the perimeter and that's pretty low-percentage hockey.  We don't have the junkyard dog mentality to work our way in close and take away the eyes of the goalie and then pressure the crap out of him for rebounds on a consistent basis.  In the playoffs..its often about what team is willing to pay that physical price to either screen, block shots or battle intensely near the crease that ends up being the winner.  Our guys are happy to get to the playoffs...then coast so they can start their offseason as fast as possible.  

The Wild remind me of that team across the river, The Minnesota Twins. They have no intention of challenging for the World Series. They just want to be “competitive”. Get fans in the stands. Sell lots of jerseys and knick-knacks. And only spend 52% of the profits on team salaries. They have a business model that is profitable and that’s all that matters. If they get into the Playoffs, well, “Anything can happen” (total lie). 

I heard from a reliable source that the wild are trying to work out a deal for Ryan McDonagh. I don't know how they would work out the logistics other then I know the lightning are looking for a rhd. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but you know the wild front office feels "he's one of us," and the wild are trying to sell tickets. I know they also can't afford him and if they trade Dumba instead for McDonagh they are dumb as shite and  the wild may be a repeating a similar mistake to that of the Brent Burns trade. 

2 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

I heard from a reliable source that the wild are trying to work out a deal for Ryan McDonagh. I don't know how they would work out the logistics other then I know the lightning are looking for a rhd. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but you know the wild front office feels "he's one of us," and the wild are trying to sell tickets. I know they also can't afford him and if they trade Dumba instead for McDonagh they are dumb as shite and  the wild may be a repeating a similar mistake to that of the Brent Burns trade. 

It would really be stupid of the Wild to get rid of Dumba now, considering they gave up Haula and Tuch to protect him just one year ago. 

40 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

Interesting, I'm curious who your source is.  Tampa Bay is certainly a team that would want an offensive defenseman like Dumba, and McDonagh would give us a right-shot defenseman in return.  The question is would we get a prospect or pick as well.  

21 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Interesting, I'm curious who your source is.  Tampa Bay is certainly a team that would want an offensive defenseman like Dumba, and McDonagh would give us a right-shot defenseman in return.  The question is would we get a prospect or pick as well.  

McDonagh is a LHD.

Archived