Sabres depth chart looks good to me

Buffalo Rick

Brian Duff takes a look at Bufflo's new depth chart on Sabres.com.   Too large for me to post here.  But it is impressive.  Is night and day compared to last year.  After picking up Hutton and signing Wilson they have added 3 more St Louis Blues and with Dahlin joining the defense with Ristollainen, Bogosian and Scandella its looking much better in Buffalo.  I am sure some of you Flyer faithful will come on here and tell me how bad we are.  Go ahead because I know better

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Brian Duff takes a look at Bufflo's new depth chart on Sabres.com.   Too large for me to post here.  But it is impressive.  Is night and day compared to last year.  After picking up Hutton and signing Wilson they have added 3 more St Louis Blues and with Dahlin joining the defense with Ristollainen, Bogosian and Scandella its looking much better in Buffalo.  I am sure some of you Flyer faithful will come on here and tell me how bad we are.  Go ahead because I know better

Um, the Sabres have missed the playoffs 6 years in a row....how can things NOT look better??  I think Nylander makes a bigger impact than the Blues contingent....but still, a nice trade by your GM. 

Here are the depth charts posted on Sabres.com..... a little TFG magic, and I got them here so the masses can see.
Damn, I'm good! 😄

Anyways....here ya go.... Depth looks better than last season for sure.....but NHL playoff competitive level? Hmmm....will still have to wait n see how the new acquisitions pan out...
But remember Buffalo fans fan, the Sabres DON'T exist in a vacuum. Nice job in the off season, but the Bolts, Leafs, Bruins, and maybe those sneaky Panthers aren't sitting idly by.....

BuffaloDepth.jpg.6ff72579fe2088a3f7d4196a191c16e1.jpg

339195013_RochesterDepth.jpg.b17da275f9a2d368f235deb94f1f7cf8.jpg

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Here are the depth charts posted on Sabres.com..... a little TFG magic, and I got them here so the masses can see.
Damn, I'm good! 😄

Anyways....here ya go.... Depth looks better than last season for sure.....but NHL playoff competitive level? Hmmm....will still have to wait n see how the new acquisitions pan out...
But remember Buffalo fans fan, the Sabres DON'T exist in a vacuum. Nice job in the off season, but the Bolts, Leafs, Bruins, and maybe those sneaky Panthers aren't sitting idly by.....

BuffaloDepth.jpg.6ff72579fe2088a3f7d4196a191c16e1.jpg

339195013_RochesterDepth.jpg.b17da275f9a2d368f235deb94f1f7cf8.jpg

We can knock the Panthers out now.  And we knew w how to beat Boston

I can't figure out why Buffalo traded O'Rielly who I thought was the perfect 2nd line center, defensively conscious and offensively capable, the modern day Fred Stanfield.

Eichel, O'Rielly and now Mittlestadt looked to be a formidable center brigade.

Buffalo has lots of Cap space so the trade made little sense. I've heard that O'Rielly commented that a lot of Buffalo players were more concerned about cashing their checks than actually playing but that is what I'd expect from a proud, invested NHLer who plays for a perennial loser.

7 hours ago, hobie said:

I can't figure out why Buffalo traded O'Rielly who I thought was the perfect 2nd line center, defensively conscious and offensively capable, the modern day Fred Stanfield.

Eichel, O'Rielly and now Mittlestadt looked to be a formidable center brigade.

Buffalo has lots of Cap space so the trade made little sense. I've heard that O'Rielly commented that a lot of Buffalo players were more concerned about cashing their checks than actually playing but that is what I'd expect from a proud, invested NHLer who plays for a perennial loser.

From several accounts -- mostly deciphering veiled comments from O'Reilly -- O'Reilly wanted out.

If not for that, I agree it makes little sense from a hockey standpoint.  All of what you said and he's only 27.   They really would have been set at center.   Berglund is a nice player, but it's really a huge step down.  

The veiled comments were there, yes, but I figured it was a culture improvement or I want out.

With O'Rielly this should be a very promising team, without?

4 minutes ago, hobie said:

The veiled comments were there, yes, but I figured it was a culture improvement or I want out.

With O'Rielly this should be a very promising team, without?

Oh I completely agree with you.  And I think your "culture improvement or I want out" is a plausible way to look at it.   It may have been more than that (the only way to justify trading him).

I mean, the three guys they got from St. Louis do round out their lineup better than they've been in awhile, but standing on each other's shoulders I don't think they're O'Reilly.   If they can get that team to have 3 lines that at least don't take games/shifts offs, they'll be improved.   And the picks are nice, but with everything St. Louis did you have to think that 1st round pick is at least mid-20s.  I'd consider even that a potential failure on the Blues' part.

But if I'm management I talk to O'Reilly that "yeah, this is where we are and this is where we want to get to.  Stick around, we're  getting there."  Something, anything.  Do you wonder if it was so myopic that they were focused on getting out of his bonus?

In any case, they went from a 27 year old in his prime who just finished a decent season (pretty much all by himself) and the centers you listed to having Eichel and a rookie (a good rookie, but still a rookie) and a 30-year old Berglund with less than half the points.

I don't know.  If they had to trade him because he wanted out or whatever, I guess I'm okay with the return.  I do think it solidifies the roster a bit if not high-end.   But I still wonder that they couldn't have gotten more out of Montreal or NYI.

i like the Sabres overall depth but i have some concerns...i do not see a legit #2 Lw as of now. Signing Maroon would make sense and improve them at Lw. Trading if possible for Miller TB would make lots of sense considering his size,experience and he's only  25yrs old with a 5mill cap hit over 5yrs which is manageable. 

As of today I can see our lines like this:                                                                                    

Line #1 Reinhart - Eichel - Sheary                                                                                             

Line #2 Okposo - Mitt - Berglund                                                                                             

Line #3 Pomminville - Rodriguez - Sobotka                                                                                         

Line #4 Baptiste - Thompson - Wilson/Girgensons                                                                                                                                                           
Def #1 Guhle - Risto   #2 Scandella - Dahlin #3 McCabe - Nelson/Bogo      

Wishful thinking trades I would be thrilled to see                                                                               

* conditional 2nd rd pick 2019 (last #1 if Skinner resigns before the trade deadline) - Pomminville -- Nylander - Larsson - 3rd in 2020 (if Skinner signs)  To Carolina For Skinner and Faulk     

* Last #1 2019 - Nylander - Larsson to Tampa For Miiler and 1st in 2020 - 4th in 2019   

* McCabe - 3rd 2019 to Minnesota for Spurgeon  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 7:56 AM, Dj Charles Masters said:

As of today I can see our lines like this:                                                                                    

Line #1 Reinhart - Eichel - Sheary                                                                                             

Line #2 Okposo - Mitt - Berglund                                                                                             

Line #3 Pomminville - Rodriguez - Sobotka                                                                                         

Line #4 Baptiste - Thompson - Wilson/Girgensons                                                                                                                                                           
Def #1 Guhle - Risto   #2 Scandella - Dahlin #3 McCabe - Nelson/Bogo      

Wishful thinking trades I would be thrilled to see                                                                               

* conditional 2nd rd pick 2019 (last #1 if Skinner resigns before the trade deadline) - Pomminville -- Nylander - Larsson - 3rd in 2020 (if Skinner signs)  To Carolina For Skinner and Faulk     

* Last #1 2019 - Nylander - Larsson to Tampa For Miiler and 1st in 2020 - 4th in 2019   

* McCabe - 3rd 2019 to Minnesota for Spurgeon  

Hey!!!!  Nice to see a fellow Sabres fan here.  I have never seen you before.  Welcome.  Cant agree with your list though.  And I do not see Middlestadt anywhere.   Oh,  sorry, you abbreviated his name.  I found him.  You had me wondering.

So how about the PP unit?  Eichel, Bergland, ?,  Dahlin and Risto?

Welcome aboard @Dj Charles Masters

No offense (really, HJ.  I mean it), but that lineup still looks like a lottery team.  They're headed in the right direction, but that lineup has a lot of holes.

I think swinging Berglund to wing is a mistake.  Especially in favor of Rodriguez at 3C.  It's not a offensively-strong third line and Pomminville is slow, so I think I'd make the 3C the traditional defensive unit.   I don't want Rodrigues centering a defensive unit because the guy quite possibly could lose faceoffs to a brownie scout.  He's simply horrible at it.  The Sabres were forced into it a bit last year but with Mittelstadt and Berglund (in addition to Eichel) you don't have to.  And Rodrigues is kind of a utility infielder that can play at all 3 forward positions and probably on any of the bottom 3 line, so I swing him to wing.

I don't think I simply switch Berglund and Rodrigues, though.  Maybe swing him to wing on the third line and move Sobotka up.  Just to see.  You could always switch them in the likely event Sobotka's not up to top 6 duty.   

I think I like the idea of having Mittelstadt flanked by two vets, but I wouldn't want to slow him down with two slower wingers, either.

It's still a mess, objectively, but it's better than you've had in awhile.  You have a good amount of cap space and more coming, so you're definitely headed in the right direction.

Archived