Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

49 minutes ago, brelic said:

Also, anyone getting claimed now has to be on the claiming team's NHL roster for 10 games or 30 days, and then must clear again if being reassigned. 

that isn't my understanding.  a player that has cleared waivers does not need to clear again for 30 days or 10 NHL games, so he can be recalled and sent down like a yo-yo.  he doesn't HAVE to stay anywhere, though.  he's just waiver-exempt for 30 days or 10 NHL games, whichever happens sooner.

if a player IS claimed, the claiming team would have to either assign him to their NHL squad or re-expose him to waivers to send him to their own AHL team.  i think.  i don't believe there is any functional difference in waivers depending on when they happen, though.  aside from the fact that there isn't an AHL roster during the offseason/preseason, so no where to send players once they clear waivers.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

There are at least 3 or 4 teams (Rangers and Canadiens off the top of my head)  i think may take a chance on a guy like him to be a backup because he MAY not say he IS an upgrade to their current backup situation....he was a 2nd round draft...i just would hate to lose him for nothing. I mean it would cost THEM nothing to select him and if he sucks and isn't any good then they waive him.

there is generally little to no buzz about any goalie that has 7 NHL games under his belt.  i don't know what the habs' or rangers' situations are in net at this point, but i would be pretty very shocked if any GM in the league is licking his lips at adding an entirely unproven (but still 6 years removed from his draft day) goaltender to their roster.  remember that goalies are not defensemen or forwards, you can only have 2 on your game roster.  factor in 3 leagues (NHL, AHL, ECHL) per organization, and 2 goalie spots per team, things get logistically very weird with more than 6 guys.  point being:  teams don't add depth goalies suddenly (as in the situation of a waiver-wire report) or just in case.  if he were waived soon, i doubt anyone would notice.

@aziz

i found this from rawcharge.com, a TB Lightning blog, re: the Martel pickup.

This is a tricky pick up, as the Lightning will have to send him back down at the end of camp if they want him in Syracuse. There’s no reason for the Flyers to not claim him back either. He will be an interesting player to watch on and off the ice, and for the next few weeks at least, he’s ours.

So in essence, it’s the same for anyone claiming Stolarz. They either have to keep him up or re-expose him to waivers if they want to reassign him. Right?

1 minute ago, brelic said:

So in essence, it’s the same for anyone claiming Stolarz. They either have to keep him up or re-expose him to waivers if they want to reassign him. Right?

everyone with an NHL contract is assigned to the NHL club at the end of the season.  12 days before the next season starts, teams can start assigning players to their AHL clubs, but waiver-eligibility applies.  so, EVERY AHL player with an NHL contract that is not waiver-exempt has to go through waivers to get to their AHL team at the end of the preseason.  even if just claimed, no one with an NHL contract can be assigned to an AHL roster without *clearing* waivers (waiver-exempt players aside).

so, yes, same situation.

45 minutes ago, aziz said:

i don't know what the habs' or rangers' situations are in net at this point

Rangers have career backup Marek Mazanec as Henrik's backup...who is 27 and to me a downgrade to Stolie skillswise.

Montreal has Antti Niemi who is hot garbage at 35. Which i think Stolie would be an upgrade too and worth a look.

Jets have Laurent Brossoit backing up Hellebuyck who is a downgrade i think skill wise again to Stolie.

So those two if you look at their NHL numbers are down grades i think and worth a easy pluck by those teams.

You replace hot garbage with a 24 year old kid who has some up side maybe.

It is why i keep Stolie and let them have Neuvy who if they want him.

This is my opinion on it.

@aziz

As i'm saying with Stolie i am not claiming he is going to come in and set the world on fire and win the vezina or anything.

But he is still a RFA after this up coming year. And yeah he has a small sample size of NHL time and you can only judge him by what you see with those numbers so if you look at what the Jets and Rangers have as a backup their numbers are much worse in their time in the NHL than Stolie's.

Stolie 2.07 gaa 928%

Mazanec 2.98 895%

Brossoit 3.24 883%

So just looking at those numbers because it's all we got....i know if i'm theRangers i'm stealing my rivals 2nd round draft pick to back up Henrik.

Or if i'm the Jets yeah i would claim him nothing to lose with the current collection of garbage in the backup bins.

And hey you don't have to agree but this is what i do i keep Stolie.

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But he is still a RFA after this up coming year. And yeah he has a small sample size of NHL time and you can only judge him by what you see with those numbers so if you look at what the Jets and Rangers have as a backup their numbers are much worse in their time in the NHL than Stolie's.

sure, and brian bouche had a 5-game shutout streak, one time.  you would hope no GM would make goaltending decisions based on a 7 game career, because goaltending has nothing to do with tiny tiny tiny sample sizes, it is all about consistency over extended periods.

you could be right, someone maybe could want stolarz and grab him off the wire.  it won't be because of his NHL career numbers, though.  and, at this point, it also probably won't be because of his draft position.  it's more likely the GM thinks his name looks great on the back of a jersey as much as either of those things.  there will be 60+ goalies on waivers over the next two weeks.  i am so very out of the loop these days, but i don't get the impression stolarz stands out from that crowd at all.  he is one of the many.

2 hours ago, aziz said:

sure, and brian bouche had a 5-game shutout streak, one time.  you would hope no GM would make goaltending decisions based on a 7 game career, because goaltending has nothing to do with tiny tiny tiny sample sizes, it is all about consistency over extended periods.

you could be right, someone maybe could want stolarz and grab him off the wire.  it won't be because of his NHL career numbers, though.  and, at this point, it also probably won't be because of his draft position.  it's more likely the GM thinks his name looks great on the back of a jersey as much as either of those things.  there will be 60+ goalies on waivers over the next two weeks.  i am so very out of the loop these days, but i don't get the impression stolarz stands out from that crowd at all.  he is one of the many.

So it sounds like you're in favor of keeping Neuvy and waiving Stolie I guess.

13 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Elliott is a stiff he will lose his job by the New Year if not sooner.

He moves like a glacier side to side.

That shortie he didn't even try to move on.

Sad this team goalie situation is a hot mess.

I hate to throw pressure on Hart and maybe Hextall should look to add someone isn't relying on what they have now.

It would be unfair to bestow this teams Hope's on a untested 20 year old.

I hope they don't do that.

Maybe Stolarz or Lyon can step up until Hart takes the job. We don't expect any of our goalies to steal games for us all we need is to have a goalie who doesnt give up the backbreaking ,momentum killing weak goal like all the goalies we have had since Lindbergh died.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe Stolarz or Lyon can step up until Hart takes the job. We don't expect any of our goalies to steal games for us all we need is to have a goalie who doesnt give up the backbreaking ,momentum killing weak goal like all the goalies we have had since Lindbergh died.

Well Lyon is hurt.

All they have besides a 20 year old is Stolie.

Elliott is showing his age and has deteriorated a lot it seems this offseason.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Would Elliott, Weal, and a pick get Anderson from Ottawa? I'll even throw in Weise. 

And Gritty. 

I lobbied for him this offseason...to no avail.

However he would be a great stop gap think or maybe not but I wanted to roll the dice on him.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I lobbied for him this offseason...to no avail.

However he would be a great stop gap think or maybe not but I wanted to roll the dice on him.

There is nothing on FA. Mason. Lehtonen. 

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:
26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

There is nothing on FA. Mason. Lehtonen. 

Don't try and have me committed for saying this but I would take Let-one-in over Elliott.

There I said it. Report me.

Reported! :)

Ugh ...talk about scraping the bottom of of the barrel .....

Just now, pilldoc said:

We already have the bottom of the barrel. 

We're contemplating grabbing whatever is growing/living underneath. 

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Sure.

Elliott's 857% tells me he is in regular season form.

I'm telling you Lehtonen can't be worse.

Elliott hasn't sniffed 900% all preseason.

What makes you think come the regular season he is going to flip that switch?

The only thing that switch is going to do is trigger him exploding like a hockey I.E.D.

Archived