Flyers-Isles rookie game

brelic

I watched the first period, and then parts of the second and third between doing other things. No replays and shaky camera work meant that even the goals I saw, it was hard to really tell what happened.

That being said, they won 6-3, and Lindblom had a 5 point night (3g, 2 a).

The first period was pretty sloppy hockey all around, but it got better as the game wore on.

Standout performers that I saw were Lindblom, Frost, and Vorobyev. In particular, Frost looks like a Giroux clone in the making. He was with Myers and Vorobyev on the top of the PP umbrella, and they looked very smooth together. 

Hart looked ok - nothing great, nothing terrible. Several posts and saves off his mask.

Love the Frost goal. Drops to his knees to win the faceoff, scoops it back to the point, gets the puck back from Myers, and fires top shelf to score with 2 seconds left in the period. 

I too watched on and off.  I was impressed with the same players as you but I'll add one:  Ratcliffe.  What a hulk of a kid.  His reach when stick checking is massive.  Chara-like.  If the kid can develop, he is going to be one intimidating winger crashing into the boards - and one that even has decent hands.  

I'm excited for the kids coming up.  It's going to be a fun 3-5 years to be a Flyers fan.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Flyers 3rd or 4th line center????

6-2 198 he is the biggest option right now...

As with I'm sure everyone else here, I do really hope either he or Frost can show they're ready and willing to take up the 3C mantle. I have a sinking sensation the alternative will too often be a certain Hakstol-beloved, very "heavy" player, and none of us should ever want that.

Good to hear about Lindblom and Vorobyev playing well - which should be the case.  These guys are professionals playing against a number of rookies (to be fair, some of the Isles players are professionals as well).  It would have been disappointing if they didn't stand out.  Although, five points from Lindblom is more than I think anyone could have reasonably anticipated.  While their performances are encouraging, the real test comes in camp against other professionals.  Would love for these kids to take the next step and secure bigger roles in the NHL, especially after what I thought was a bit of a let down from Lindblom last year (though, maybe expectations were unrealistic).

6 hours ago, vis said:

(to be fair, some of the Isles players are professionals as well).

Yeah to be fair the Isles had 4 1st round picks alone in this game Flyers only had 2.

And also to be fair Lindblom (5th rounder) just turned 22 August 15th Ho- Sang is the same age.

Bellows is the same as Rubtsov so this team age wise was evenly matched.

And results mean not a whole just a chance to showcase the talent. So i am just happy there were no injuries.

And camp/preseason games as you said will weigh the most going forward. However the Phantoms will be stacked.

I think the biggest takeaways are: 

- Only one game aside, it would have been concerning had Lindblom not looked good. Instead, he absolutely dominated.

- Frost didn't look out of place.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And also to be fair Lindblom (5th rounder) just turned 22 August 15th Ho- Sang is the same age.

Given the projection and expectations for Ho-Sang, it seems amazing to me he was upstaged by a 5th round pick.

Archived