Minnesota Wild Official Team Roster for 2018-19 Season

wild.source

8 hours ago, Razblo said:

To play Devil's advocate to the "Fenton has failed" statement. To generate conversation, given he has to work with Koivu, Parise, and Suter's crappy contracts, what could Fenton REALLY have done to improve the team over one summer?

😉  I don't really believe Fenton has failed!    He hasn't had much of a chance to do anything yet!  That was just a troll to see if the Haters would pile on an obviously silly statement because it was negative.   That lure didn't work, have to switch it up.  Need something with a subtler, less shining color and action.  😜

Again, unlike some conspiracy theorists who like to take an off hand comment and rationalize to a ridiculous degree, I don't for a second believe Leipold mandated that Fenton couldn't do anything big.  I'm pretty sure the problem was that there wasn't anything decent offered that Fenton could pull the trigger on without shooting himself in the foot!   So we go into this season with the same roster that failed last season.  I suspect I'm with the majority of fans who are disappointed, who did hope for significant change and not just a rearrangement of the 4th Line deck chairs.

So now the only hope I see is to cling to the slim to non-existent hope that Coyle, Nino, EEk, PArise, and Greenway all break though and reach their potential and become studs.  That there are NO significant forward injuries (which is basically an impossibility), because I see zero forward depth on this roster.   Way too much hope, I know!

What I'm really hoping for is good games by the NDSU Bison this afternoon and winning the bar giveaway of tix to the next Bison home game, a great game by the Wild tonight, and a great game from Carson Wentz tomorrow!

3 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I'm a big fan of Leipold.  I think the Wild have an outstanding owner.  The guy is a huge team fan, not some absentee ownership group looking to make money.  WTF do you want?  The Wild is a Cap Max team!  Do you want to go back to the league's lowest payroll and money grubbing ownership only concerned about making money like we had under Neagle?

Clearly Fletcher didn't get it done.  Bidtching about that is a 20-20 hindsight loser trick.  At the time Fletcher was almost unuiversally acknowledged by the professional hockey community as a guy who was a great candidate to be an NHL GM.   I absolutely don't buy the BS that Leipold interferes in hockey ops.  He's the owner, of course he's kept informed, but he says he doesn't interfere and I believe him.

As far as the wrong Ryan - Murphy instead of Murray - IMO he can be an effective offensive oriented NHL defenseman.  Problem is there's no spot for him on the Wild.  There are already 2 small offensive defenseman dressing (Spurgie and Dumba).   

I have no proof, but I am convinced Leipold is very much a hands-on owner and Fletcher was, and now Fenton is...ultimately just the assistant GM.  Spending to the cap is (IMO) a PR move by Leipold...and an easy way to look good and allows him throw his GMs and coaches on the knife.  He's a very smart man and insulates himself from fanbase ire with his public image...and a very effective marketing team.  I think everything he does is calculated to enhance his public persona...and I happen to think he's nothing but a douchebag phony like Red McCombs was...

Again, I have no real proof...but have very strong inclinations about this!  I joke with my buddies about my innate ability to rate people on my "douche bag meter" and Leipold scores very high on it!

😂  Yup.  Can't argue with opinions like that!  Got to admit, the idea that spending to the Cap Max is somehow a "PR move by Leipold" sounds totally nuts to me, totally illogical.

If Leipold is such an ego maniac, why does he keep suck a low profile in the press? 

I also don't get the claim, at all, that he threw his GM (singular, there's only been one!) and Coaches under the bus.  IMO a ridiculous statement clearly contradicted by the facts.  Your criticism should be that he hung on to Fletcher and Yeo too long!  He should have fired them earlier.

We are definitely 180 degrees out on this, not even remotely close.  

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

😂  Yup.  Can't argue with opinions like that!  Got to admit, the idea that spending to the Cap Max is somehow a "PR move by Leipold" sounds totally nuts to me, totally illogical.

If Leipold is such an ego maniac, why does he keep suck a low profile in the press? 

I also don't get the claim, at all, that he threw his GM (singular, there's only been one!) and Coaches under the bus.  IMO a ridiculous statement clearly contradicted by the facts.  Your criticism should be that he hung on to Fletcher and Yeo too long!  He should have fired them earlier.

We are definitely 180 degrees out on this, not even remotely close.  

It's just a very strong gut feeling...and I certainly hope I'm wrong!  But, my douche bag meter pings very strongly every time I see or hear Leipold...

OK, I will admit he does look kinda creepy; the scary weird uncle who made you feel uncomfortable as a kid...

To be fair, in the interest of full disclosure, he did buy me off years ago!  When I got back from Iraq in 2010 he personally forked over 6 very nice lower bowl tix so I could take my wife, two kids, and parents to a Wild game!

I might be easy and cheap....  OK, I am cheap and easy, but he didn't have to do that and he got no publicity for it, other than me posting about it!

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

😉  I don't really believe Fenton has failed!    He hasn't had much of a chance to do anything yet!  That was just a troll to see if the Haters would pile on an obviously silly statement because it was negative.   That lure didn't work, have to switch it up.  Need something with a subtler, less shining color and action.  😜

Again, unlike some conspiracy theorists who like to take an off hand comment and rationalize to a ridiculous degree, I don't for a second believe Leipold mandated that Fenton couldn't do anything big.  I'm pretty sure the problem was that there wasn't anything decent offered that Fenton could pull the trigger on without shooting himself in the foot!   So we go into this season with the same roster that failed last season.  I suspect I'm with the majority of fans who are disappointed, who did hope for significant change and not just a rearrangement of the 4th Line deck chairs.

So now the only hope I see is to cling to the slim to non-existent hope that Coyle, Nino, EEk, PArise, and Greenway all break though and reach their potential and become studs.  That there are NO significant forward injuries (which is basically an impossibility), because I see zero forward depth on this roster.   Way too much hope, I know!

What I'm really hoping for is good games by the NDSU Bison this afternoon and winning the bar giveaway of tix to the next Bison home game, a great game by the Wild tonight, and a great game from Carson Wentz tomorrow!

IMO we don't need trolls on this website, even posters who say they are only joking as trolls. I don't need or want anyone trying to "lure" me into anything. The next time you post something that is "obviously silly", please let us all know by making the post Green colored(also the indicator for sarcasm) to avoid any confusion--Thanks

Quotes from the Wilds owner prior to hiring Fenton:

I want someone to help me with a plan for the next 2-3-4 years to win a cup. I want a new set of eyes.

This is not a rebuild--I will make that clear to all candidates--we need "tweaks" to get us where we want to go

I want to hear each candidates plan for this team and how long that would take to get us to the cup

A roster shake-up is not part of my plan

I am looking for someone on the same page as I am

Our team is a GOOD team but not good enough to win a cup--I just don't see it

I don't see the ZP/RS contracts a much of a handicap

Sounds like a pretty hands-on owner to me.

4 hours ago, sweetshot said:

IMO we don't need trolls on this website, even posters who say they are only joking as trolls. I don't need or want anyone trying to "lure" me into anything. The next time you post something that is "obviously silly", please let us all know by making the post Green colored(also the indicator for sarcasm) to avoid any confusion--Thanks

Who appointed you King of the Boards, with the power to tell people what they can or can't post?  You're sure full of yourself.  

Here's a news flash, I don't need your permission to post anything.  I'll post what I want, when I want and I don't give a rat's azz whether you like it or not.   As long as the Mods are OK with it, it's good to go.  So Mr Wannabe Board Policeman, if you don't like it, tough. 

4 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Quotes from the Wilds owner prior to hiring Fenton:

I want someone to help me with a plan for the next 2-3-4 years to win a cup. I want a new set of eyes.

This is not a rebuild--I will make that clear to all candidates--we need "tweaks" to get us where we want to go

I want to hear each candidates plan for this team and how long that would take to get us to the cup

Sounds like a pretty hands-on owner to me.

Leipold made the assumption that fans actually understand what a "rebuild" is.   I think the large majority do, but you're proof that obviously some people do not understand the common definition of a simple sports term.

So, the guy who does the hiring has criteria for the person he hires, and that provers he's a micromanager.  ANYONE who hires other people should have specific criteria for the people they hire.  Can't fix stupid. 

14 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Leipold made the assumption that fans actually understand what a "rebuild" is.   I think the large majority do, but you're proof that obviously some people do not understand the common definition of a simple sports term.

So, the guy who does the hiring has criteria for the person he hires, and that provers he's a micromanager.  ANYONE who hires other people should have specific criteria for the people they hire.  Can't fix stupid. 

I don't think Leipold is a "hands on" owner like a George Steinbrenner, an Al Davis or a Jerry Jones. Those guys really messed with their teams. 

But on the other hand, I really think Leipold painted the new GM into a corner stating what he did. It reminds me of someone hiring an interior decorator and then telling them "I want something that will knock people's socks off. Something that could be featured in Martha Stewart's Living magazine! But don't change any of the colors in the rooms, all the furniture stays, and so do all the stuffed animal heads. You can add a painting or two if you want. But don't go crazy with the paintings."

I guess it's a question of a person's definition of "tweak" and what Leipold really meant.  IMO, he meant no fire sale and no Dumpster Doug 5 Year Plan that has no end.   

Tarde three or more of E. Staal, Nino, Coyle, Spurgie, Brodin, or baby jesus MiG.  Trade RFA's Dumba and/or Zucker -THAT would be a rebuild.   Trade Coyle or Nino; Spurgie or Brodin - you think Leipold would have stepped in and fired Fenton?  I don't.  The way it's going now, even taking a bad trade just to change the chemistry of the team might have been the way to go.

3 hours ago, Fargocase said:

I guess it's a question of a person's definition of "tweak" and what Leipold really meant.  IMO, he meant no fire sale and no Dumpster Doug 5 Year Plan that has no end.   

Tarde three or more of E. Staal, Nino, Coyle, Spurgie, Brodin, or baby jesus MiG.  Trade RFA's Dumba and/or Zucker -THAT would be a rebuild.   Trade Coyle or Nino; Spurgie or Brodin - you think Leipold would have stepped in and fired Fenton?  I don't.  The way it's going now, even taking a bad trade just to change the chemistry of the team might have been the way to go.

To me, "tweaks" meant the core of the team stays: No moving Coyle, Nino, MiG, Zucker, EEK, Spurgeon, Dumba or Brodin. ZP and RS are obviously going nowhere, and MK has a NMC. So that leaves Staal. Which is whom you proposed to trade originally.

I don't think you take a bad trade. That's what Fenton made it sound like was happening this summer: other GM's were offering up used skate sharpeners and free movie passes for Wild players. And he correctly didn't bite. Besides, I think he'd want to see the team play with his own eyes before he makes any decisions about players.

If I was Fenton, I'd leave the team alone. Don't make any moves other than the usual Iowa call ups for the inevitable injuries. Let the season play out. One of two things is going to happen. If the team makes the Playoffs and makes it to the second round, Fenton is going to be praised for his patience. If the team implodes, at least now he can go to Leipold and say, "Well, we tried it your way and failed spectacularly. You gonna let me do the job you hired me to do now?"

Not a believer in making a trade to "make a statement" or just to "shake things up." It appears Wild have top goalie in the league. Time for his buddies to get their toes in the opponent goalie's paint and score ugly. Parise does it.

I agree, in general.  But this team might qualify for an exception.  It does seem to need some major jolt to get re-focused.  Too much complacency.  Maybe heads need to roll to wake the group up.

9 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I agree, in general.  But this team might qualify for an exception.  It does seem to need some major jolt to get re-focused.  Too much complacency.  Maybe heads need to roll to wake the group up.

If you want electroshock therapy for this group, trade Dubnyk and anoint Stalock the #1...if that doesn't shake them up, nothing will...😉

11 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Fenton would need to get Liepold's stamp of approval before he pulled the trigger on trading any of those guys.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, Fargocase said:

Nobody would know that better than you...

• 2 weeks later...

Does any other team have 35 year olds centering their first two lines? Both with limited speed.

I appreciate experience but when in every game players are going fast up and down the rink this isn't the best formula to build a team. Especially scoring wise.

Needless to say this roster reminds too much of last season's roster; not enough tweaks.

Archived