Minnesota Wild Official Team Roster for 2018-19 Season

wild.source

ST. PAUL -- Minnesota Wild General Manager Paul Fenton today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has reduced its training camp roster to 23 players. The team assigned defenseman Ryan Murphy to the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League (AHL) and placed forward Luke Kunin on Injured Reserve. The team also placed defenseman Gustav Olofsson on waivers today.

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/23-man-roster-100218/c-300561688

https://www.nhl.com/wild/roster

:wild:GO WILD!!!

100% as predicted.   Absolutely no surprises here IMO.  And IMO, that means Fenton has so far FAILED.   ZERO improvement other than adding an overpriced 3rd pair Dman and that's offset by the weaker 4th Liners.   I call it a push but you could argue the roster is worse than last year because Parise, Suter, E. Staal, Doobie and Mikko are all a year older.   You could also say the Wild's gotten worse because its division rivals already were clearly more talented and/or have made major improvements.    If you're not getting better, you're getting worse because the competition is getting better.  Anyone who still considers MiG, Nino, Coyle, Dumba, Brodin or Zucker "kids" is an idiot.    The only way the team possibly could do better is if the Wild have a majical year and injuries are at an absolute minimum.   

8 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

100% as predicted.   Absolutely no surprises here IMO.  And IMO, that means Fenton has so far FAILED.   ZERO improvement other than adding an overpriced 3rd pair Dman and that's offset by the weaker 4th Liners.   I call it a push but you could argue the roster is worse than last year because Parise, Suter, E. Staal, Doobie and Mikko are all a year older.   You could also say the Wild's gotten worse because its division rivals already were clearly more talented and/or have made major improvements.    If you're not getting better, you're getting worse because the competition is getting better.  Anyone who still considers MiG, Nino, Coyle, Dumba, Brodin or Zucker "kids" is an idiot.    The only way the team possibly could do better is if the Wild have a majical year and injuries are at an absolute minimum.   

I've got to give Fenton  a pass right now--I think its a bit early to say he has failed. 

He doesn't have the money, resources, and most importantly the owners approval to do anything more than "tweak" the roster.

37 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Didn't you say we should be optimistic?  But I agree..hardly surprised and IMO it completely justifies the pessimism many of the experts have for this club.  

I think it's a bit premature to say Fenton failed when restrictions were put on him by the owner before he was even hired (only "tweaks" are allowed), and add to that the precarious cap situation Fletcher left the team in (a little over $10M to sign both Zucker, Dumba, a fourth line and depth players and then leave some breathing room for call-ups). Besides, Fenton hasn't really seen this team play together yet. I would say let him evaluate the team this season and then let him make his own decisions next summer.

I know it sucks that not much was done this off season, but what could he have done? Half the team has a NTC/NMC. The rest played so poorly or were injured so much last season that he would have been lucky to get a couple of pucks and a broken hockey stick for them.

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Didn't you say we should be optimistic?  But I agree..hardly surprised and IMO it completely justifies the pessimism many of the experts have for this club.  

To answer your question - I don't expect or demand anyone to be optimistic.  I'm commenting, just for me, it's more fun to be optimistic.  I'm a fan, I really want to see the team do well.  I've also been following this team very closely since its inception, and the NHL for a couple decades even before the Wild was even a wet dream.  I watch the game and know the team isn't really that great.  But chit happens, if everything goes right we could all be thrilled and surprised at the end result.  That's not what I expect, it's what I hope for as a fan.

You know my history commenting on the Wild as well as or better than any other poster.  I've often criticized the team; specific players and the organization.   To the point of being called a "bad" fan numerous times.  I have no problem with reasonable, rational criticism or even complaining.    You, for example,  point out shortcomings, it's actually rare I disagree with your opinions and observations.  I have no problem with that.  The problem I have is with the incessant bitching of some posters, same thing over and over and over about 99% of everything having to do with the organization.  EVERYONE SUCKS!  Whatever.   It's a game, if it's that terrible, drive on, go away and find something else to bidtch about and quit annoying fans who actually do want the Wild to Win, not lose so they can crow "I told you so."  Then post the same bidtch over and over and over some more. 

Big difference between reasonable criticism based on observation and experience, and repetitious complaining about the same things over and over.   IMO your posting is the first type of commentary.

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

To answer your question - I don't expect or demand anyone to be optimistic.  I'm commenting, just for me, it's more fun to be optimistic.  I'm a fan, I really want to see the team do well.  I've also been following this team very closely since its inception, and the NHL for a couple decades even before the Wild was even a wet dream.  I watch the game and know the team isn't really that great.  But chit happens, if everything goes right we could all be thrilled and surprised at the end result.  That's not what I expect, it's what I hope for as a fan.

You know my history commenting on the Wild as well as or better than any other poster.  I've often criticized the team; specific players and the organization.   To the point of being called a "bad" fan numerous times.  I have no problem with reasonable, rational criticism or even complaining.    You, for example,  point out shortcomings, it's actually rare I disagree with your opinions and observations.  I have no problem with that.  The problem I have is with the incessant bitching of some posters, same thing over and over and over about 99% of everything having to do with the organization.  EVERYONE SUCKS!  Whatever.   It's a game, if it's that terrible, drive on, go away and find something else to bidtch about and quit annoying fans who actually do want the Wild to Win, not lose so they can crow "I told you so."  Then post the same bidtch over and over and over some more. 

Big difference between reasonable criticism based on observation and experience, and repetitious complaining about the same things over and over.   IMO your posting is the first type of commentary.

Hahaha! The bitching is partly Koivu's fault and the rest is because of the water...😅

10 minutes ago, puck_hawg said:

Hahaha! The bitching is partly Koivu's fault and the rest is because of the water...😅

I quit  bidtching about Mikko a couple years ago.  After a decade of complaint about ole Clyde the passive, plodding  whiney, sulky warhorse I even bored myself into submission!

9 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I quit  bidtching about Mikko a couple years ago.  After a decade of complaint about ole Clyde the passive, plodding  whiney, sulky warhorse I even bored myself into submission!

Your right, the bitching and the "I told you so" is getting old fast. It certainly didn't help the closing of the Wild message boards. For some, being right is so important. So much so that (we all know who) is happy to appoint themself the forum villian just to prove nothing to a bunch of strangers on the internet. Sad. Its as if these boards are more important then the team itself....BTW I enjoy your optimism because it ruffles feathers around here 😀

Hmmm.. Coyle Puck Bunny.. sounds like a good name for an alternative rock band, or a kinky sex toy.

If nobody's given you the "Craig Leipold's Pimp" moniker yet, I reserve the right to use that at a later date. 😜

On the topic of the Wild roster, I liked what I was seeing from Ryan Murphy late last season. He struck me as a boring but solid stay-at-home defender who could free up other d-men to get more aggressive on offense. He also looked like he was willing to throw a check or three. Any other folks here bullish on Murphy, or am I flying solo on this acid trip?

10 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Are we talking about the same guy? I thought he already had two seasons in the AHL?

According to Wild.com and other sources he played for the Hamilton Bulldogs in the OHL last season. Other OHL blogs I read stated this would have been his overager year with Hamilton.

The AHL Hamilton Bulldogs moved to St Johns NF in 2015-16 and became the St Johns Ice Caps. The Belleville Bulls then moved to Hamilton and were renamed the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2015-16. Maybe you’re thinking of the former AHL team. 

Bitten is in the first year of his entry level contract.  He's a potential bottom 6 energy guy who competes his arse off every shift...plus, he shoots right-handed, so that's a good thing.

As for Fenton's "grade" so far...  I consider it an "incomplete."  I, like most of us, was hoping for some significant changes to this team's roster, and makeup.  However, looking at what players like Pacioretty and Karlsson were traded for, I think Fenton was prudent to be patient.  Trading players for the sake of trading players is a sign of weakness and vulnerability. 

Players I wouldn't be surprised if they were moved at the deadline, or prior to next season: Staal, Koivu, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Zucker or Neiderrieter.

As I predicted in the Over/Under thread...I don't think Boudreau survives this season.  Time will tell...

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, Fargocase said:

100% as predicted.   Absolutely no surprises here IMO.  And IMO, that means Fenton has so far FAILED.   ZERO improvement other than adding an overpriced 3rd pair Dman and that's offset by the weaker 4th Liners.  m.   

I don't actually think Fenton has failed at all.  I posted this to generate conversation.  But his inaction, inability to do anything, whatever means this is exactly the same team that score 101 points last.  Which, if you actually take a moment to think about it, this team scored 101 points last year even though a couple key guys were out of the line-up too much.   IMO team absolutely NOT getting the credit they deserve. 

Fenton got hired to a team that's in a pickle with older veterans not going anywhere fast and the new blood on the team all having over 5 years experience so they're not new blood. They're not the future of the Wild anymore, they're now the current core. It's just too bad they're not receiving the bulk share of minutes in all - notice I said all - critical situations on the ice.

Until they're all used on the PP or PK on a regular basis the old guard is still being too heavily relied upon. Which is really detrimental.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, Fargocase said:

I don't actually think Fenton has failed at all.  I posted this to generate conversation.

To play Devil's advocate to the "Fenton has failed" statement. To generate conversation, given he has to work with Koivu, Parise, and Suter's crappy contracts, what could Fenton REALLY have done to improve the team over one summer?

7 hours ago, Razblo said:

To play Devil's advocate to the "Fenton has failed" statement. To generate conversation, given he has to work with Koivu, Parise, and Suter's crappy contracts, what could Fenton REALLY have done to improve the team over one summer?

Not much. And the sad part about is that he'll be in the same situation for at least the next couple of seasons, maybe more. Not many assets to move and not much money to spend--other than the draft--the future looks bleak.

Fenton got this job because its his first as a GM, I doubt anyone with GM experience would've taken it.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, McMahon 6 said:

Hmmm.. Coyle Puck Bunny.. sounds like a good name for an alternative rock band, or a kinky sex toy.

If nobody's given you the "Craig Leipold's Pimp" moniker yet, I reserve the right to use that at a later date. 😜

Any other folks here bullish on Murphy, or am I flying solo on this acid trip?

I'm a big fan of Leipold.  I think the Wild have an outstanding owner.  The guy is a huge team fan, not some absentee ownership group looking to make money.  WTF do you want?  The Wild is a Cap Max team!  Do you want to go back to the league's lowest payroll and money grubbing ownership only concerned about making money like we had under Neagle?

Clearly Fletcher didn't get it done.  Bidtching about that is a 20-20 hindsight loser trick.  At the time Fletcher was almost unuiversally acknowledged by the professional hockey community as a guy who was a great candidate to be an NHL GM.   I absolutely don't buy the BS that Leipold interferes in hockey ops.  He's the owner, of course he's kept informed, but he says he doesn't interfere and I believe him.

As far as the wrong Ryan - Murphy instead of Murray - IMO he can be an effective offensive oriented NHL defenseman.  Problem is there's no spot for him on the Wild.  There are already 2 small offensive defenseman dressing (Spurgie and Dumba).   

Archived