New GM?

sekkes85

3 minutes ago, flyersfan35 said:

this is what i believe what's happening, i think the gm and joel q are already decided after the Toronto game meaning it will probably be after christmas they will announce the changes because joel q wanted to coach after christmas meaning that they cant announce the gm now and then the coach a few weeks later, it makes more sense to have them both there at the same time.

so unfortunately, we have to deal with hak until the new year, that's why homer kept him on because it would make no sense to hire an intern and fire that one because you dont want the players to learn two different systems. it's not good on the players.

basically everything that homer is saying is just stall tactics until the new year. hopefully the team can play well until the new year but it's not looking like it.

Nothing about that entire post makes sense, actually. I mean, it could actually end up happening that way, but it makes absolutely no logical, rational, sense. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Eklund. Thought this was an interesting take. 

On the Flyers GM...

It looks like it will come down to Chuck Fletcher or Bill Zito...  

Both are qualified and could be successful in Philly.  

Fletcher is a little more Hextall like...He is more patient, conservative, doesn't love the media and the safer choice. That is why many here in Philly felt Homer would go to him. Holmgren is being characterized as "old school" and Fletcher is a very safe selection...from Homer's circle.

However, Flyers fans shouldn't sell Homer short quite yet. Because Zito is in this as well...In Zito, who the Flyers reportedly interviewed yesterday, Holmgren is talking to a highly progressive, and aggressive GM who is known for his ability to get players going, organizations excited and who can get very creative and modern with solutions. Zito is in a way reminiscent of Ed Snider's feeling that EVERYTHING is possible and must be tried. The fans need to know we are going to do everything by hook or by crook to win...

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

From Eklund. Thought this was an interesting take. 

On the Flyers GM...

It looks like it will come down to Chuck Fletcher or Bill Zito...  

Both are qualified and could be successful in Philly.  

Fletcher is a little more Hextall like...He is more patient, conservative, doesn't love the media and the safer choice. That is why many here in Philly felt Homer would go to him. Holmgren is being characterized as "old school" and Fletcher is a very safe selection...from Homer's circle.

However, Flyers fans shouldn't sell Homer short quite yet. Because Zito is in this as well...In Zito, who the Flyers reportedly interviewed yesterday, Holmgren is talking to a highly progressive, and aggressive GM who is known for his ability to get players going, organizations excited and who can get very creative and modern with solutions. Zito is in a way reminiscent of Ed Snider's feeling that EVERYTHING is possible and must be tried. The fans need to know we are going to do everything by hook or by crook to win...

I don't like the sound of either. 

I swear, Holmgren would go to a three Michelin restaurant and say, "what do you have in dog ****?" 

Based solely on track record, I would prefer the unknown.  

I've seen Fletcher's results, Zito has a similar education and comes to the job from an unconventional direction, player agent. IIRC Zito has found good players to represent.  Losing Pryor makes me want the new guy to have a great scouting network to lean on. 

The Flyers "guys" are still in the field finding players, I thought Pryor and Hextall did a nice job picking good ones. If the team does " take off" getting the late round picks right become crucial to sustaining success.

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't like the sound of either. 

What do you like the sound of?  Not asking for names, but what traits would you prefer the next GM to have?

I get why you're opposed to Fletcher (I share many of the same concerns).  But why is Zito an issue, besides that he hasn't been a GM in the past?  I don't know much about him, but nothing I've heard makes me think "I don't like him."

Not criticizing.  Just curious.

Archived