It's Time for the Retrofit

Howie58

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Knut said:

If you can't get Panarin though, you kinda have to reconsider on Simmonds.  Unless you trade for Stone, and frankly I'm not interested in that locker room turmoil.  

I'm not sure I understand why one necessitates the other. Panarin is a left winger and Simmonds is a right winger.   I mean, if the Flyers really want an upgrade a left winger (and I'm not sure why) then why does failure necessitate resigning a right winger?  Unless we're simply talking scoring punch.  If that's the case, I still really slot a third line right winger in as  a potential substitute for failure to sign a top 6 left winger.   Unless I'm misunderstanding the point altogether.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure I understand why one necessitates the other. Panarin is a left winger and Simmonds is a right winger.   I mean, if the Flyers really want an upgrade a left winger (and I'm not sure why) then why does failure necessitate resigning a right winger?  Unless we're simply talking scoring punch.  If that's the case, I still really slot a third line right winger in as  a potential substitute for failure to sign a top 6 left winger.   Unless I'm misunderstanding the point altogether.

Panarin's played both wings, but it's really all about production.  if you lose 20-30 goals and 50-60pts a year in Simmonds, and you want to spend to the cap and upgrade your team, you need to replace those goals or in the case of Panarin, surpass them.  

So essentially if not Panarin and not Simmonds, who's got your eye?

44 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Panarin's played both wings, but it's really all about production.  if you lose 20-30 goals and 50-60pts a year in Simmonds, and you want to spend to the cap and upgrade your team, you need to replace those goals or in the case of Panarin, surpass them.  

Felicity Jones. For sure. 

45 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Ok. I haven't seen Panarin play the right side and wasn't aware.  But I also hadn't realized Laine was randomly switched to the left, so certainly not arguing the point. 

That changes things slightly because I don't think we necessarily need on the left. If we move Simmonds, then we need on the right.  I don't think NAK is his replacement. 

Unless one of the centers coming up slots to the right, I'm not sure we have it. 

I have to be honest. I love Simmonds, but I do not resign him.   Hopefully, we can move him.   I don't have a specific replacement in mind, but I'm not paying Panarin the money he wants and then playing him on his offwing. 

We have some pieces to move, so hopefully we can come up with at least a 3-RW.

I'd kick the tires on Stone if he becomes available.

If not Simmonds and not Panarin, who do you like for an upgrade at FWD?

My choice would be Mark Stone. The Sens are trying to resign him.

Not sure if they will be able to i wouldn't mind trying to land him.

However the price tag could change my mind.

if you lose 20-30 goals and 50-60pts a year in Simmonds

I'm afraid you are going to lose that WITH HIM.

It is why i want to move him because i am afraid those days are behind him.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm afraid you are going to lose that WITH HIM.

It is why i want to move him because i am afraid those days are behind him.

No argument here.  That's why I want to sign someone better.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My choice would be Mark Stone. The Sens are trying to resign him.

Not sure if they will be able to i wouldn't mind trying to land him.

However the price tag could change my mind.

I like Stone too.  The story about his fiance or wife or whatever is a bit disturbing and I don't think there's any place for that within the tight knit camaraderie of the Flyers, but moreover, I'd be more concerned about what Ottawa would demand for him.

Actually wondering if Fletcher could maneuver whatever he gets for Simmonds, add in a pick or a Vorobyov and send that along for Stone?

51 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Sure, but how is she on the back check?

I think for the sake of the site I'm going to skip all three responses that came to mind. 

We have to think of the children. 

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The story about his fiance or wife or whatever is a bit disturbing and I don't think there's any place for that within the tight knit camaraderie of the Flyers

Yeah but that was Hoffman's wife and between Karlsson's wife i haven't heard anything about Stone or his wife involved in it.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but that was Hoffman's wife and between Karlsson's wife i haven't heard anything about Stone or his wife involved in it.

Oh crap, you're right.  Stone and his Girlfriend are actually supposed to be decent people I think.

Then by all means, bring him in!  

The big challenge with Stone for me would be the UFA status. Fletch would have to guarantee he signs here for some amount of time, otherwise it's just a waste. It's entirely possible he wouldn't agree to sign with the Flyers as they are today, particularly not if a contender comes knocking instead. I think he will generate a considerable amount of interest if he hits the trading block.

That said, I would definitely consider it a solid acquisition if somehow it could happen. 

9 hours ago, elmatus said:

The big challenge with Stone for me would be the UFA status. Fletch would have to guarantee he signs here for some amount of time, otherwise it's just a waste. It's entirely possible he wouldn't agree to sign with the Flyers as they are today, particularly not if a contender comes knocking instead. I think he will generate a considerable amount of interest if he hits the trading block.

That said, I would definitely consider it a solid acquisition if somehow it could happen. 

Its seems almost logical that he is the first shoe to drop and you could be right about him going somewhere else for top dollar.

He is the big free agent at RW. So i' thinking he needs to be the first guy moved before we see other teams make a move for Simmer.

Eberle is another big free agent at RW but i see the Isles keeping him. Unless some GM gets antsy and just wants to add Simmer now to get him acclimated to his team or to hep them get into the playoffs it might go all the way down to the wire with Wayne.

Nyquist, Silfverberg, Donskoi, Panik and Hayes could also be available too and all are younger than Wayne.

It should be a fun trade deadline rush. The play by the Flyers between now and then will have an effect on it too. 

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would Roman Polak be a good vet D man for the blueline next year?? Just wondering aloud.

Meh. At some point, just adding a guy because he's been in the league for a while doesn't feel like much of a worthwhile move. We clearly need more from our d-corps than what we received this year, but I can't say Polak would be much of an improvement really. Besides, Myers is likely to get a long look, so things are already looking quite crowded on the back end as they are now.

I think any addition to the current stock would essentially require someone be shipped out. The likely candidates would probably be Gudas in some sort of Gudas + Simmer trade to a contender or Ghost if Fletch feels we've got enough firepower in Sanheim and an upcoming Myers (not to mention better performance from Provo). The most likely scenario right now is probably:

Provo/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Myers/Hagg

AMac

Maybe not in those pairings necessarily, but that setup somehow. Morin could also make some noise, though he'd probably have to have a great camp to beat out Myers, who seems to have the inside track right now.

Move Gudas though and Morin would stand to be the next in line for a look. Whether that's to start the year or just during the season sometimes is a bit of a toss up right now.

To go back to your original question, I just don't think Polak is good enough to decide to hold back someone like Myers or even Morin. I think dmen who are likely to be good enough for that are rather unlikely to be available.

Now, if it's me, I would be looking to package Gudas with Simmer and I would probably be asking for best offers on Ghost in the off season, just to see what might come of it. Do both of those things and maybe someone like Polak makes a bit more sense on a very short term contract.

Hard to tell with Fletch this early in his tenure of course.

I think we will see more of this Giroux with hi on the top line LW though instead of center...

...so is that more beneficial to the team??

I think Morgan Frost will have a lot to do with it too. I would expect him to take the 3rd line center role coe next camp.

Morgan plays on the Greyhounds top power play and he plays on their PK. So we might help the PP in some areas.

I think this line up would be an improvement.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 18 Morgan Frost -13 Nicolas Aube Kubel
21 Scott Laughton - 20 Mikhail Vorobyev - 12 Michael Raffl

So without know any other moves that could go down i think this would be a good start. And yes i would resign Raffl.

I think they could look to add something to the wing but NAK could/should be able to handle 3rd line RW duties.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Meh. At some point, just adding a guy because he's been in the league for a while doesn't feel like much of a worthwhile move. We clearly need more from our d-corps than what we received this year, but I can't say Polak would be much of an improvement really. Besides, Myers is likely to get a long look, so things are already looking quite crowded on the back end as they are now.

I think any addition to the current stock would essentially require someone be shipped out. The likely candidates would probably be Gudas in some sort of Gudas + Simmer trade to a contender or Ghost if Fletch feels we've got enough firepower in Sanheim and an upcoming Myers (not to mention better performance from Provo). The most likely scenario right now is probably:

Provo/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Myers/Hagg

AMac

Maybe not in those pairings necessarily, but that setup somehow. Morin could also make some noise, though he'd probably have to have a great camp to beat out Myers, who seems to have the inside track right now.

Move Gudas though and Morin would stand to be the next in line for a look. Whether that's to start the year or just during the season sometimes is a bit of a toss up right now.

To go back to your original question, I just don't think Polak is good enough to decide to hold back someone like Myers or even Morin. I think dmen who are likely to be good enough for that are rather unlikely to be available.

Now, if it's me, I would be looking to package Gudas with Simmer and I would probably be asking for best offers on Ghost in the off season, just to see what might come of it. Do both of those things and maybe someone like Polak makes a bit more sense on a very short term contract.

Hard to tell with Fletch this early in his tenure of course.

Well there had been mention by Chuck about adding a veteran back there so that obviously mean they don't think that of Mcdud so who would that vet be then?? I mean i look at who could be available and the list isn't real appealing.

I would be ok with adding Tyler Myers but would Winnipeg really let him walk??

I think Karlsson stay with San Jose. And J-Bo is past his prime of being that.

So only other guy on the list of available free agents i would like which i mentioned a few pages back is Anton Stralman yet he will be 34 at the start of next year.

Yet i would prefer him in the line up even on the bottom pair than Mcdud.

Maybe if they were to move Gudas for a return like Muzzin you could add Stralman then.

Provo/Sanheim

Ghost/Myers

Hagg/Stralman

Morin

This wouldn't be a bad start. Them moving Gudas could be a no go if they are playing better still and getting close to a playoff spot.

They are 11 points outside a spot. With 16 games left to play in the East. It is a huge up hill climb no doubt but beating the teams ahead of them can go a long way.

Right now Sabres, Bruins Rangers, and Blue Jackets are struggling. So a lot of help of course will help.

So this quest will maybe effect what they do.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would be ok with adding Tyler Myers but would Winnipeg really let him walk??

I just realized that this is the last year of that ridiculous contract the Sabres threw at him before unceremoniously shipping him out of town...

Also, that he's 28.

Also, too, that I'm old.

So, thanks for that!

image.png

Yet i would prefer him anyone in the line up even on the bottom pair than Mcdud.

FIFY

Maybe if they were to move Gudas for a return like Muzzin you could add Stralman then.

I don't think Gudas gets you a Muzzin return, but he has some nice value for a team going into the playoffs looking for defensive help.

I think, like the Simmonds trade mentioned above, adding in a player/pick to augment the return could work with Gudas, too.

Right now Sabres, Bruins Rangers, and Blue Jackets are struggling. So a lot of help of course will help.

The Rags are likely to sell, as well. I see the 54-point Canes as the next team to catch for the Flyers. Then make the leap into the group of teams currently in the 59-60 point range.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Rags are likely to sell, as well. I see the 54-point Canes as the next team to catch for the Flyers. Then make the leap into the group of teams currently in the 59-60 point range.

I mean let's best honest it's damn near impossible that they make the dance and they are going to have to get vezina like winning performances from Hart and Stolie to pull off the feat.

But it is fun hoping. Besides what else we got left besides the draft to look forward too.

I think they are closer to make the playoffs than they are of getting the number one overall pick.

So yes catching the Canes right now should be the main focus...break it down to minny goals. Achieve that then bump it up.

#babysteps

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think they are closer to make the playoffs than they are of getting the number one overall pick.

The stats have them at a 2.7% chance of making the playoffs right now. https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.fcgi

Meanwhile, at sixth from the bottom, they currently have a 7.5% chance of getting the first overall pick. http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

So technically their chances of getting the #1 overall, while very small, are actually better at present than them making the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

The stats have them at a 2.7% chance of making the playoffs right now. https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.fcgi

Meanwhile, at sixth from the bottom, they currently have a 7.5% chance of getting the first overall pick. http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

So technically their chances of getting the #1 overall, while very small, are actually better at present than them making the playoffs.

I'm no doubting those stats i'm going by what i am seeing and i think every day they play and win those numbers change towards them having better chances of making the playoffs (not meant to be a duh comment to you). 

We are seeing this team change before our eyes.

Sure it maybe too little too late i get it but the fact that they are showing signs of life when a few weeks ago this team was d.o.a. is impressive to me.

Because i must admit this team had been so hard to watch lawd knows i tried....but i would find something to do when they were playing because it was like watching paint dry.

So this is a long dawn out way of saying i am just going to watch them and hope they can make it.

Trust me i had been leading the charge for the Lose for Hughes campaign but they just don't suck that bad....especially now that Hart had grown into the starters role game by game win by win. And he has a long ways still to go but i like their prospects.

Right now they need to just catch the Canes and go from there. Winning is the best way.

And for the love of God if they can ever figure out how to score with an extra guy on the ice their chances may increase substantially.

Lose for Hughes!!!!

15 hours ago, elmatus said:

Too bad we're not in the West - we'd only be 2 points out of a playoff spot right now.

That's right. A .500 record would have us tied for the last wildcard, though we'd lose out on the ROW tiebreaker. 

They're sitting 9 points out right now, and the only way they make it is to play .700 - .800 the rest of the way while the teams above them play right around .500 - .550. 

Well guess what? Over their last 10, the Flyers are 7-3 (.700) and the teams above them are all playing around .500 except Carolina (.600).

So... you know. It just has to happen three more times over 10 game chunks. 

If they make it, Calder Hart.

EDIT: Also, it's funny that we have a 7.5% chance of having an 18% chance at landing the 1st overall. Those are not good odds at all haha.  

Archived