Cats/Penguins swap forwards (poll)

yave1964

who won the trade  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which team wins the deal?

• Penguins
    • Panthers

The Penguins jumped in to replace the struggling Derick Brassard, shipping he and Riley Sheahan to the Panthers for Nick Bjugstad and center Jared McCann. Florida also adds a second and two fourth rounders in the deal.

Bjugstad has long been a favorite of mine he brings size and a scoring touch which has eroded with injuries, if you look up who needs a change of scenery in any book his name should be right near the top. I have been a fan of McCann since his days in Vancouver and thought he could easily slide into a top six role in Florida but it hasn't worked out. He has found his game as a skilled bottom six center.

Brassard hasn't worked out since coming over at the deadline last year from Ottawa, a 3rd line center on a team that loads up the first two lines and leaves the bottom six picking up scraps his offense has fallen wayoff. Florida hopes reuniting Brassard with Hoffman who he excelled with in Ottawa will spark him. Sheahan is a jack of all trades forward who does nothing particularly well nor particularly bad, he can play any forward position very average on the bottom six or bump up to the second line in a pinch for short term.

Both Brassard and Sheahan are in the final year of their deal, what is the biggest for Pittsburgh is Bjugstad is signed through 20-21 at 4.1 million per and McCann has one more year remaining at 1.2 million.

My thoughts are Brassard will likely be moved again before the deadline by Florida for more assents, possibly another secondin the right deal, Sheahan too, possibly a 3rd or 4th rounder so Florida got assets and two players who in the next few weeks will be moved for more. Pittsburgh got a reasonable contract in Bjugstad that they control for a few more years, if healthy and playing top six with that stacked team his offense will reignite, McCann, man I thought he was gonna be somrthing but hasn't developed yet, as the 3C in Pittsburgh knowing his role I think he will be fine. As an aside, I remember Brassard being a crybaby in Columbus under Hitch over ice time and actuallybeing sat a few times when he went public crying about not getting power play time so he hated it in Pittsburgh I am sure, moving his toxicity will likely help the locker room.

I honestly think this works out fine for both teams.
For the "instant gratification" crowd, then it likely is Pittsburgh "winning" this deal due to them getting probably the single best player in the deal with the most upside, that being Nick Bjugstad of course.

However, if he was so 'studly' then WHY did he struggle in Florida, when he is supposed to be the type of guy that raises the play of others around him, not HIM needing others to raise him (which may very well happen playing on the same team as Crosby, Malkin, and Letang)?
Not crapping on Bjug...but just pointing out, that while I believe the Pens got the 'best' player, he too comes with some risk of underperforming.

If all goes well, then Bjugstad and McCann should provide an instant jump to the Penguins and give them even more weapons for their inevitable post season run.

But Florida, looking to not only clear some cap, but perhaps restock their system, and add some much needed depth (either via free agent signings, or with the quantity of players they will try to get) did well for what they need in this deal.

It became pretty apparent that Bjugstad was not going to magically turn things around with them....so why not trade him off and get futures, and also get guys like Sheahan and Brassard who could either work as further trade chips, or, if Florida wants to give it a bit of a go this year and try to sneak it, give them bigger roles than they had on the Pens and maybe, combined with what they already have, could make some noise and make some other teams nervous with regards to a playoff spot?

I've read that the end game for Florida though seems to be going after a big name, big money free agent (Panarin and Skinner are the names I keep seeing pop up connected with Florida).

Whether they can actually land either of those two, or some other big name player, of course, remains to be seen, but GM Dave Tallon knows he has the basic core of players in their prime NOW, and just needs to add the right pieces to play along in what is becoming a very competitive Atlantic Division.
And to that end, clearing the roster of big money guys who are NOT performing or are long term solutions is the way to go.

Bottom line...Pitts wins the trade right NOW. They want to make another run NOW, they have the players in place to win again...NOW.
Florida may seem like the winner later on if certain things fall right and they make good decisions at the deadline and the off season stemming from this big deal.

Both teams got what they were after (in Florida's case it still seems like a plan still in motion), so they both sorta came out winners based on their own agendas.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

That is exactly why I barely gave the edge to the Pens, I love that both Bjugstad and McCann are tied up for several years but equally I love that Florida will move both new adds before the deadline and continue to retool the farm system which is among the leagues weakest. Just a smart deal for both teams. Florida went on a post all star break run last year and only finished one point out of a playoff spot, I think this is a sign they threw in the white towel on the season.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The Penguins jumped in to replace the struggling Derick Brassard, shipping he and Riley Sheahan to the Panthers for Nick Bjugstad and center Jared McCann. Florida also adds a second and two fourth rounders in the deal.

Bjugstad has long been a favorite of mine he brings size and a scoring touch which has eroded with injuries, if you look up who needs a change of scenery in any book his name should be right near the top. I have been a fan of McCann since his days in Vancouver and thought he could easily slide into a top six role in Florida but it hasn't worked out. He has found his game as a skilled bottom six center.

Brassard hasn't worked out since coming over at the deadline last year from Ottawa, a 3rd line center on a team that loads up the first two lines and leaves the bottom six picking up scraps his offense has fallen wayoff. Florida hopes reuniting Brassard with Hoffman who he excelled with in Ottawa will spark him. Sheahan is a jack of all trades forward who does nothing particularly well nor particularly bad, he can play any forward position very average on the bottom six or bump up to the second line in a pinch for short term.

Both Brassard and Sheahan are in the final year of their deal, what is the biggest for Pittsburgh is Bjugstad is signed through 20-21 at 4.1 million per and McCann has one more year remaining at 1.2 million.

My thoughts are Brassard will likely be moved again before the deadline by Florida for more assents, possibly another secondin the right deal, Sheahan too, possibly a 3rd or 4th rounder so Florida got assets and two players who in the next few weeks will be moved for more. Pittsburgh got a reasonable contract in Bjugstad that they control for a few more years, if healthy and playing top six with that stacked team his offense will reignite, McCann, man I thought he was gonna be somrthing but hasn't developed yet, as the 3C in Pittsburgh knowing his role I think he will be fine. As an aside, I remember Brassard being a crybaby in Columbus under Hitch over ice time and actuallybeing sat a few times when he went public crying about not getting power play time so he hated it in Pittsburgh I am sure, moving his toxicity will likely help the locker room.

You touched on the big question for the Pens moving forward (pun intended). Sullivan likes three lines that can score which is why Kessel often finds himself on the 3rd line. He and Brassard/Sheahan just never jelled like the Pens though they would. So do the Pens load up the top 6 (Crosby/Guentzel, Malkin/Kessel)? For now I would think they would certainly try Kessel on a line with Bjugstad and possibly McCann. Especially now that Hornqvist is back. I have not seen tonight's lines (Malkin is out) but figure something like...

Guentzel / Crosby / Simon

Rust / Malkin / Hornqvist

Kessell / McCann / Bjugstad

Blueger / Cullen / Pearson

Honestly, I go with the Panthers here. Sheahan will continue to be nothing, because he is nothing. But Brassard's career will see a Renaissance away from Pittsburgh. 

I'm not a fan of Bjugstad, and I don't like the third line above (though I agree it's what makes the most sense). 

Then Florida gets the picks on top of it? Pittsburgh didn't get slaughtered here or anything and "lost the trade" is too strong, but I don't think they got the value they should have for that package. 

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, I go with the Panthers here. Sheahan will continue to be nothing, because he is nothing. But Brassard's career will see a Renaissance away from Pittsburgh. 

I'm not a fan of Bjugstad, and I don't like the third line above (though I agree it's what makes the most sense). 

Then Florida gets the picks on top of it? Pittsburgh didn't get slaughtered here or anything and "lost the trade" is too strong, but I don't think they got the value they should have for that package. 

If Brassard is with the Cats a few weeks from now I will be surprised, the Jets supposedly have coveted him for over a year now, if they offer their first for him it is likely going to happen. So if in exchange for Bjugstad and McCann they end up with a first, second and two fourths Florida makes out pretty well. They have a mediocre at best farm system so although it is long term before they see the results I think the Cats got a great return. But I like that Bjugstad and McCann are both locked up byond this year for the Pens.

the Pens need that 3rd line center to be "THE PENS" Brassard was a clear downgrade from "my precious" Nick Bonino. So if Bjugstad can contribute "something" the Pens will be dangerous again. I don't know much about McCann other than he seems to have disappointed everyone so far in his career. 

I think Rutherford is doing the right thing by continuing to keep the championship window with his big 3. Plus Murray is healthy, so not wanting to jinx the Pens but this could work out very well for them for this year and the next.  I know each of these types of moves kicks the can down the road as far as being able to replenish the farm system, but man if I had Crosby and Malkin I'd be trying to load up to win while I can. 

Archived