"The Cheaper Goalie Does Much Better"

Guest OH1FlyersFan

This is a quote from my wife, who is only a very casual follower of the game and humors my obsession with the Flyers. Just finished watching the game from last night on DVR. It was her observation of Bryz's game compared to what she's seen from Bob. I know it's totally uniformed -- heck, she only knows the guys by the "expensive goalie" and the "cheaper goalie" -- and she's definitely not an "expert" on the game, but I thought her innocent impression was fascinating. I have a hard time disagreeing with her.

I said it before and I say it again. You can pay Bryz to not play or you can pay him to lose. Having said that I also feel the D lets him hanging out there too often. No goals from the first line AGAIN?

Explain the prior two games with Bob in net.

It was a rhetorical question based on the fact that the same team is on ice in front of either goalie, yet one goalie is total junk. The same guys are 'hanging out the goalie' either way, but one guy at least sometimes rises to the occasion.

It was a rhetorical question based on the fact that the same team is on ice in front of either goalie, yet one goalie is total junk. The same guys are 'hanging out the goalie' either way, but one guy at least sometimes rises to the occasion.

I agree and have zero confidence that Bryz is going to be the one to rise to the occasion. The more I watch, the more he just looks lost. Doesn't seem to know where the puck is going to be or going to go or has gone. His positioning is way off. He's always looking around, behind him, left to right, he seems totally unfocused. Bob looks lasered in and gives the impression of confidence and control.

The defense is going to make turnovers. The offense is going to leave the D in vulnerable spots. We know that already -- it's the style the Flyers play.

But what I've seen out of BOB these past TWO years proves that he is up to the challenge, despite speaking little english and barely having time to adjust to the American style of play.

It has nothing to do with cheaper. The Flyers do not care about the money... Rathje... it's all about the level of play.

Bob is playing at an elite level, this year and last.

He MUST be the goalie moving forward. Ilya literally loses focus consistently. Ilya does not seem to have quick enough reaction time.

I was a huge fan of Bryz coming into the year, but it's becoming apparent that it was the system in Phoenix.

Bob is good, very good, in our system. Yes he struggled last year in the playoffs but likely to fatigue.

I pray that the CBA has (at least) one buy-out clause like the NBA.

@TedZep

While true, Bob also didn't get lit up by the Rangers on multinational TV. And that was with a team who put in a solid 40 minute effort on ice. He also came in against that Boston bloodbath and held his own very well.

It is a fair point to note that Bryz has played stiffer opponents overall (from memory anyway). But, if he is the #1, he should be doing a lot better, regardless of opposition. Also, the goals Bryz lets in aren't usually 'wow that was a nice play' shots.

All in all, good point.