Rangers got Julien Gauthier from Carolina

RonJeremy

Gauthier was their first round pick in 2016, he had 26 goals last year and has 24 now and 11 assists in 44 games in the AHL. Hes a 6ft 4 227 lb Right Wing/Center. The Rangers gave up a prospect who was a third round pick, Joey Keane. We should have tried to get him. He was a highly regarded prospect. 

23 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Gauthier was their first round pick in 2016, he had 26 goals last year and has 24 now and 11 assists in 44 games in the AHL. Hes a 6ft 4 227 lb Right Wing/Center. The Rangers gave up a prospect who was a third round pick, Joey Keane. We should have tried to get him. He was a highly regarded prospect. 

To soft for the Flyers.

There is a reason he has only play 5 NHL games.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

There is a reason all they got was Joey Keane for him.

Who?

Exactly.

Keane is a dman and actually is putting up big poimts in the AHL, he has like 35 points this year in 45 games. They are still projecting Gauthier as a second line player. They said he is NHL ready. Look at NAK he was buried in the minors and it didnt look good for him and he finally got a chance. Even if he is soft,.so is JVR, if the cost was not high, getting Gauthier as an eventual JVR replacement would have been worth a gamble.  He is one of the top scorers in the AHL. You cant teach goal scoring. 

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Keane is a dman and actually is putting up big poimts in the AHL, he has like 35 points this year in 45 games. They are still projecting Gauthier as a second line player. They said he is NHL ready. Look at NAK he was buried in the minors and it didnt look good for him and he finally got a chance. Even if he is soft,.so is JVR, if the cost was not high, getting Gauthier as an eventual JVR replacement would have been worth a gamble.  He is one of the top scorers in the AHL. You cant teach goal scoring. 

I agree.  It would have been worth the gamble.  

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

They are now our major competition.  They're looking for pieces to help them beat us.  It makes no sense to trade with a team who is focused on taking you and mostly only you out.   

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

There is a reason all they got was Joey Keane for him.

Who?

Exactly.

Keane is like their Friedman.  He's outscoring Friedman actually.   Looking at the rangers, i have no idea why he wasn't up actually.  

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Keane is like their Friedman.  He's outscoring Friedman actually. 

There is more to the AHL than scoring points....i'll give you T.J. Brennan.

16 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Looking at the rangers, i have no idea why he wasn't up actually. 

I'll give you T.J. Brennan.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes, but this kid's actually just pretty good.  He's also only 20 years old and just seeing his first taste of pro hockey.  

IMHO this is a pretty big gamble on the part of the Rangers who must be pretty secure in their D prospect pool to pull this deal.  

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

John Gilmour was Hartford's TJ Brennan.  or would have been.  Now he's Rochester's Brennan.  

Keane isn't even old enough to drink.  

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yes, but this kid's actually just pretty good. 

I'm not buying it my next door neighbor is a Cane die hard actually from Raleigh and said he is a soft perimeter players who isn't fast (his actual words was a big pu$$y).

There is a reason teams weren't lining up for a 6-4 227 winger...think about it. But hey i guess we'll wait and see. But for a kid of his so called skillset who is just 22 they should have been able to land a very very good defenseman.

If he was any good he should have been able to beat out Brock Mcginn and he couldn't. I trust my neighbors opinion.

We'll see.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not buying it my next door neighbor is a Cane die hard actually from Raleigh and said he is a soft perimeter players who isn't fast (his actual words was a big pu$$y).

There is a reason teams weren't lining up for a 6-4 227 winger...think about it. But hey i guess we'll wait and see. But for a kid of his so called skillset who is just 22 they should have been able to land a very very good defenseman.

If he was any good he should have been able to beat out Brock Mcginn and he couldn't. I trust my neighbors opinion.

We'll see.

Keane is the guy I was saying is actually pretty good, not Gautier.

And I agree with you.  I'm saying I'm not sure I'd have made this trade if I'm the Rangers. 

I certainly don't feel like we lost out as a Flyers fan.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Keane is the guy I was saying is actually pretty good, not Gautier.

Yeah i can't say i know a lot about Keane i can't even find a lot about him i am familiar with Gauthier.

He is a weak attempt to replace Kreider which i think they will be disappointed.

My friend report:

His tunnel vision, meaning he lacks the ability to set up other guys and just fires everything at the net combined with his lack of ability to move through traffic because now in the bigger leagues he can no long just bowl guys over is what he struggles with.

Because in juniors he was always bigger than everyone that has changed in the bigger leagues it has put him at a disadvantage.

Basically what he said it was always easy to be tougher when you are bigger and stronger than all the guys you face but when he got with the Checkers and faces more 6-4 200 pound defenseman his game changed. So i guess this is what scouts see now and why the Canes got what they got for him.

And Keane i don't know about so we'll just see if he is a spark plug for the Canes....i'm leaning no. Just a desperate attempt to get something for a guy they didn't see who could make it.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Keane i don't know about so we'll just see if he is a spark plug for the Canes....i'm leaning no. Just a desperate attempt to get something for a guy they didn't see who could make it.

Oh make no mistake, Keane is definitely a depth move.  In the next year or two he could be a decent NHL D-man.  People just seem to be acting like he's a scrub.  He's decent.  

I don't now about Gautier.  Ratcliffe is sorta having similar issues this year with the Phantoms (even though he's smaller than Gautier) but working through them.  Tougher to win battles in the pros.  Gautier may come out of it improved... or not. 

If I'm the Rangers, I wouldn't have made this trade though.  

Edited by King Knut