Minnesota Wild vs. Vancouver Canucks Play In Series Preview

Wild vs. Canucks Play In Series Preview

Minnesota Wild (35-27-7)  77pts  6th in the Central

3.16 Goals For Per Game (12th in the NHL)

3.14 Goals Against Per Game (24th in the NHL)

21.3% Power Play (11th in the NHL)

77.2% Penalty Kill (25th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #22 Kevin Fiala ~ 23G 31A = 54pts

2. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 8G 40A = 48pts

3. #12 Eric Staal ~ 19G 28A = 47pts

4. #11 Zach Parise ~ 25G 21A = 46pts

5. #36 Mats Zuccarello ~ 15G 22A = 37pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #38 Ryan Hartman ~ 69 PIM’s

2. #19 Luke Kunin ~ 55 PIM’s

3. #18 Jordan Greenway ~ 54 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #32 Alex Stalock (20-11-4)  2.67GAA  .910%SP  4SO

2. #40 Devan Dubnyk (12-15-2)  3.35GAA  .890%SP  1SO

3. #31 Kaapo Kahkonen (3-1-0)  2.96GAA  .913%SP

Vs.

Vancouver Canucks (36-27-6)  78pts  4th in the Pacific

3.25 Goals For Per Game (8th in the NHL)

3.10 Goals Against Per Game (20th in the NHL)

24.1% Power Play (4th in the NHL)

80.5% Penalty Kill (16th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #9 J.T. Miller ~ 27G 45A = 72pts

2. #40 Elias Pettersson ~ 27G 39A = 66pts

3. #53 Bo Horvat ~ 22G 31A = 53pts

4. #43 Quinn Hughes ~ 8G 45A = 53pts

5. #70 Tanner Pearson ~ 21G 24A = 45pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #23 Alexander Edler ~ 62 PIM’s

2. #57 Tyler Myers ~ 49 PIM’s

3. #9 J.T. Miller ~ 47 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #25 Jacob Markstrom (23-16-4)  2.75GAA  .918%SP  2SO

2. #35 Thatcher Demko (13-10-2)  3.06GAA  .905%SP

3. #30 Louis Domingue (3-9-2)  3.81GAA  .882%SP

Here is your preview for the play in series between the Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks.  This match up looks pretty even when you look at it statistically but there are some significant differences between these two clubs.  So the preview examines both clubs, looks for strengths and weaknesses of both teams and we chime in with our series predictions as well.  Training camps should be in full swing this week.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Fair enough..how far do you think the team will go?  

If the Wild can quickly return to their play when Evason took over, I think they could get past Vancouver.
Key factor might be Fiala. Can he return to that form? I won't expect him to and we'll need other's to step up their game.
I missed the last 3 games prior to shutdown but did read the recaps here. :) 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

If the Wild can quickly return to their play when Evason took over, I think they could get past Vancouver.
Key factor might be Fiala. Can he return to that form? I won't expect him to and we'll need other's to step up their game.
I missed the last 3 games prior to shutdown but did read the recaps here. :) 

They were playing a lot better and Fiala was on fire.  I agree with you, if that iron was still hot I'd be feeling far more confident about this series.  But I just think its tougher to get older legs to re-establish themselves for this series.  

• Like 3

On 7/13/2020 at 1:03 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Fair enough..how far do you think the team will go?  

I think we have a chance to repeat playoffs of the 2002-2003 season when we passed 2 rounds and lost series in Western Conference Finals to Anaheim Ducks 0:4. Hope too - the team's iron still hot and Fiala still on fire. Maybe also Kaprizov will be helpful too with the team's practices and with his advises based on his valuable playoffs experience for the last 3 years in a row. We have that rare unique chance, and we should use it in full. No one will remember after many years if it was a COVID year or not. The most important is a result in unusual not common for NHL conditions. In my opinion, all NHL teams will play well, because they are hungry for the professional hockey after such a long break. Hope, all our 4 goalies will be available for this event and be prepared well in a good shape. From their play depends a lot. We should not stick with one goalie through the entire series, if he is not showing what we expected. My accent is more leaning first towards 2 goalies - Stalock and Kahkonen.

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Hope, all our 4 goalies will be available for this event and be prepared well in a good shape. From their play depends a lot. We should not stick with one goalie through the entire series, if he is not showing what we expected. My accent is more leaning first towards 2 goalies - Stalock and Kahkonen.

If Boudreau was still at the helm, I'd expect Dubs to be the starter as the most experience. Easy call.
Hopefully Evason is evaluating all 4 equally and goes with his gut.

IMO, experience doesn't matter here between the pipes.  Its about who seems to be stopping more pucks.  If Dubnyk is back in the crease, it better be because he performed better at training camp and in exhibition play.  But if he's back in the crease simply because of 'experience' then I think its wrong.  I think Alex Stalock outperformed Devan Dubnyk this season, not just in wins but in terms of save percentage too.  

As good as Kahkonen was for Iowa, it AHL numbers.  Its a shame we will never know how far he could've taken Iowa this year.    

• Like 2

I was in no way saying Dubnyk should start because of experience. 
Agreed that Stalock was the better goalie.
I do feel that no matter what Dubnyk's wife said "Go play" that his head was no way in the game.
Understandable for sure. Still at this point we don't know what's going on with her and the illness.
(at least I haven't heard anything) 
All the goalies should be fresh and pumped up so Bob Mason has a tough choice to make or at least suggest to Evason.

Still weird to be talking Hockey in mid July. 😃

This will not be as exciting to watch without fans which adds to the element of the game ,the ooh's and ahh's ,boo's

good saves ,tensity of possible goal mouth scramble ....you get the jist

I watched the ufc last saturday in yabba dabba doo land and totally was not the same with 15,000 plus in the stands

this will be like watching a mid season game in florida ---but in edmonton and toronto 😷😴😔

Did anyone watch the scrimmage on Saturday?  Fiala looked great, as did Greenway, Addison, Menell, Brodin and Spurgeon.  Kahkonen only played in the 3rd period but he was the only goalie not to give up a goal.  Kahkonen's team was down 3-1 going into the 3rd period.  Mat Robson gave up 3 goals to lose the scrimmage 4-3 in OT.  

Stalock looked reasonable, Dubnyk was fighting it...

• Like 2

I know it was just a scrimmage but great to hear that those guys looked great. Looking forward to seeing Addison, not sure if he'll play at all but with Pateryn injured maybe he'll get in on the third pair once in a while., as for Dubnyk it doesn't surprise me. 

Pateryn being out is a non story.  He is slow and terrible.  Besides, Carson Soucy is back.  I dont think Addison will get a chance in the playoffs but he's looking like a real interesting young player who was playing the game with a lot of confidence out there.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the preview. It helps me getting into a playoffs mentality. (I have had problems getting motivated about the series for two reasons: the lottery with its 12.5% chance of getting Lafreniere, and the fact that the Wild were not a playoffs team at the moment the season prematurely ended.) Let the better defence win! "Offence comes from good defence."

9 minutes ago, MNSOTA said:

Hello strangers. I hope we eventually get a decent start time. 

Fiala's first goal in game #1 against Vancouver. Parise and Staal assisted to it. Stalock in the net. Score so far 1:0 after 12 minutes of the play.

I’m on a new schedule so I can watch part of this game...I just don’t know how long I’ll last. 

I also had to set up new work equipment today. What I had wasn’t compatible with Big Sur, so I needed new stuff. I now have two 27 inch 5K screens. It is wonderful. 

• Like 2