Matthews on Pace for back-to-back 50+ Goal (proj) Seasons!

WordsOfWisdom

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

People wonder why Leaf fans get ridiculed.

See I knew people were going to 💩 on it.  If this was about Giroux in the Flyers section, there would be 10 threads on this topic in one day about his goal scoring prowess and how he compares to all-time Flyers greats.   

Matthews is on pace to win the Rocket Richard trophy, and he has ~10 games left to post the best season in Leafs history (goals wise).  That's pretty amazing.  :) 

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

See I knew people were going to 💩 on it.  If this was about Giroux in the Flyers section, there would be 10 threads on this topic in one day about his goal scoring prowess and how he compares to all-time Flyers greats.   

Matthews is on pace to win the Rocket Richard trophy, and he has ~10 games left to post the best season in Leafs history (goals wise).  That's pretty amazing.  :) 

Ok, so talk about his goal scoring prowess...cause it's real. 

Not about his back to back 50 goal seasons...cause they're not. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Giroux in the Flyers section, there would be 10 threads on this topic in one day about his goal scoring prowess

HA!

Thanks for my daily laugh. So funny to read the name Giroux and goal scoring prowess in the same sentence. We'll never see that again.

Buy on a serious note Matthew's is exactly what the Flyers need...a forward who has never seen a shot he does like.

All they want to do is pass it.

I know some joke about AM but I love it when he gets the puck he doesn't play he gets that thing on net.

That is how you score goals.

Maybe he can hold a goal scoring seminar this offseason at the Flyers facility and show these clowns how to shoot the damn puck that is all.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Buy on a serious note Matthew's is exactly what the Flyers need...a forward who has never seen a shot he does like.

All they want to do is pass it.

I know some joke about AM but I love it when he gets the puck he doesn't play he gets that thing on net.

I also love how he does a proper one-timer. One of my greatest pet peeves (this applies to 600+ NHL players) is that players receive a perfect pass and then take the time to cradle the puck, move it around, and finally flick it on net. By then, the goalie has slid across and taken away all of the openings. Matthews actually does a proper textbook Merriam-Webster's dictionary one-timer. He gets the pass and BANG the puck is gone. It's on his stick for 1 ms. He's loaded and ready to fire BEFORE the puck gets to him. He's pulling the trigger AS the pass arrives. That's a proper one-timer.  :) 

Plus, like you mentioned... SHOOT the puck! Good things happen when players shoot, and far too many players want to hand it off and let someone else shoot. 

I think Matthews has a shooting percentage around 19%, so he's accurate too. It's beautiful.  :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think Matthews has a shooting percentage around 19%, so he's accurate too.

18 % for this year and 16% for his 5 year NHL career. Very consistent in his short career so far....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, so talk about his goal scoring prowess...cause it's real. 

That's what I'm doing!   :) 

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Not about his back to back 50 goal seasons...cause they're not. 

I said "equivalent of". What Matthews has now accomplished is equivalent to B2B 50+ seasons.  Thus, he has elevated himself into the same tier as players like Ovechkin. 

• 2 weeks later...

His accomplishments still pale in comparison to McDavid. If we are playing the pro rating game, McDavid is heating up end of season and on pace for 154 points, leaving Matthews well behind eating the air his dust was floating in.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

His accomplishments still pale in comparison to McDavid. If we are playing the pro rating game, McDavid is heating up end of season and on pace for 154 points, leaving Matthews well behind eating the air his dust was floating in.

As long as Kerry Fraser (or his offspring) aren't the referee for the second round of the playoffs when Toronto faces Edmonton, I'm cool with that.  :)

McDavid is an awesome player. It's a shame that his career is being sabotaged by covid-19 just like Auston Matthews' career has been.

Also a shame that Edmonton has the best player in the game that they can't even watch, and Toronto has the best goal scorer in the game that we can't watch.  I'm sure the league will get back to playing 82-game seasons again once the current core group in Toronto and Edmonton have either retired or been traded away. That's usually how it goes.

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

• 10 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

With 56 games available total, Matthews currently has a whopping 8 goals in 10 GP. 

He's currently on pace for 46 GOALS in this covid shortened season, which means that over a NORMAL 82-game season, that's an unbelievable 66 goals... a mark that would smash every franchise record in Leafs history.

IF Matthews sustains his current monstrous pace for THIS season, then after 56 games I'll not only credit him with back-to-back 50-goal projected seasons, and credit him for his first projected 60-goal season, but I'll place him at #1 as the greatest Leafs goal scorer in history, better than any other player from ANY OTHER ERA who has EVER worn the blue and white, even for as little as ONE season.  Matthews is about to leapfrog Leafs greats like Clark, Andreychuk, Vaive, Mogilny, Sundin, Mahovlich, anyone you can possibly name. (That includes names like Ron Francis and Eric Lindros too, who both had a cup of coffee in Leafs land, as well as Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk, etc.) Matthews is poised to leave all of them in the rearview mirror.

Now the only question is, how high can he go? He's on the verge of leaving Leafs-land records far behind. After that we start to get into the Ovechkin, Hull, Bure, Jagr -eske goal scoring territory.  Pretty incredible stuff if he can achieve those levels.  :) 

Matthews is the first to 50 this year not even needed to be prorated!!!

And you're nowhere around to celebrate!!!

• Like 2