1C trade speculations

lynxrattle

I guess that our troubles in defending against VGK, and troubles in scoring against them in the other one, points to the fact that we still don't have a 1C. Previously I've been keeping this dream alive, the dream of somehow getting Barkov from Florida. Now that they are starting to look legit, Barkov is not going anywhere. He wants to win and if the Cats keep on winning, that's it.

I happened to read this article from the Players' Tribune by Mark Scheifele:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/mark-scheifele-2020-nhl-awards

He really appreciates Eichel. I have learned to hate the Wild's habit of getting this and that player from the Sabres, a player accustomed to losing miserably, and not caring about it either. But I appreciate Scheifele's opinion more than mine 😀 The Sabres look like a wreck. I think they might get totally gutted if nothing changes in the way they keep losing. What would Eichel look like playing with Kaprizov? Would Eichel be intrigued by that opportunity? What would be needed to make it happen? 10 million per year, would it even be possible without losing all of our decent players and picks? What's Eichel's off-ice character like? Is he a partyboy, in need of a fun town like New York or Las Vegas?

It's a long time to wait and see if our prospects our 1C caliber. Any other ideas or dreams about who might be worth the risk?

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I guess that our troubles in defending against VGK, and troubles in scoring against them in the other one, points to the fact that we still don't have a 1C. Previously I've been keeping this dream alive, the dream of somehow getting Barkov from Florida. Now that they are starting to look legit, Barkov is not going anywhere. He wants to win and if the Cats keep on winning, that's it.

I happened to read this article from the Players' Tribune by Mark Scheifele:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/mark-scheifele-2020-nhl-awards

He really appreciates Eichel. I have learned to hate the Wild's habit of getting this and that player from the Sabres, a player accustomed to losing miserably, and not caring about it either. But I appreciate Scheifele's opinion more than mine 😀 The Sabres look like a wreck. I think they might get totally gutted if nothing changes in the way they keep losing. What would Eichel look like playing with Kaprizov? Would Eichel be intrigued by that opportunity? What would be needed to make it happen? 10 million per year, would it even be possible without losing all of our decent players and picks? What's Eichel's off-ice character like? Is he a partyboy, in need of a fun town like New York or Las Vegas?

It's a long time to wait and see if our prospects our 1C caliber. Any other ideas or dreams about who might be worth the risk?

I dont think we have what would take to get him in a trade his 10 million per year would also be deal killer. It would be nice.

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Eichel is probably fed up with the situation. I wouldn't count it out. He could go Dubois.

I agree. Players nowadays are a bunch of spoiled brats. If they just decide to, they will have their way. Eichel is a spectacular player but who knows. Gretzky was traded so anything is possible.

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I agree. Players nowadays are a bunch of spoiled brats. If they just decide to, they will have their way. Eichel is a spectacular player but who knows. Gretzky was traded so anything is possible.

Gretzky was traded for cold hard cash tho by a bad businessman. Which isn't possible anymore

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Just a thought, would it make sense to wait until after the expansion draft to look for a true #1 C?

Likely so. It's not going to be easy. The Wild has spent 20 years in search of a true 1C. A Gretzky is only a lottery win, but who would have thought CBJ would trade Dubois? There might be a centre out there for us.

Like finding a 1C was not extremely anyways, CBJ's desperation makes it even worse:

https://www.tsn.ca/jarmo-kekalainen-columbus-blue-jackets-looking-for-a-no-1-centre-1.1604213

If somebody decides to get rid of their 1C, it's going to a real difficult auction to participate in, competing against CBJ and whoever else desperate enough.

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Like finding a 1C was not extremely anyways, CBJ's desperation makes it even worse:

https://www.tsn.ca/jarmo-kekalainen-columbus-blue-jackets-looking-for-a-no-1-centre-1.1604213

If somebody decides to get rid of their 1C, it's going to a real difficult auction to participate in, competing against CBJ and whoever else desperate enough.

Who did you have in mind as a trade bait? Dumba and 1st round picks? And even that might not be enough.

The Wild better pass any bidding contest. There just isn't enough depth. Maybe in the off-season they could sign someone...

I hate to say it but I have started thinking that Fiala might be trade bait one day. That is if Fiala doesn't find chemistry with Kaprizov, but manages to develop that flashiness we saw at the end of last season. I also think we might end up pretty crowded in the defense, and if so, Menell or Addison might have value as well, not just Dumba. Pretty much everyone is expendable, for that elusive 1C the Wild has never had. Picks too, but those won't clear the cap space problems. Has any team ever gone far without a great center? Still, bidding wars don't sound good to me either. 

It would be sad if they will trade Fiala, who brings a lot of interest by his individual play. He is a pretty smart player and will be able to find a chemistry with Kaprizov . They already having some nice chemistry together with Zuccarello at PP. Wish that Suter will be removed out of PP and replaced at least by Brodin. Mennel extended his play in Gagarin playoffs at least by one more game, because they won today in game#4 against SKA, St.Petersburg (2:1). Addison had 3 assists in a previous game against Rockford IceHogs team and is seems collecting points too. Both defensemen are pretty offensively minded. 

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

We have a chance to see how Menell does here in the Wild when the season ends, right? He's obviously been incredible there.

Yes, he played only 5 games here.He is one of the best defenseman in entire KHL league. And now during the Gagarin playoffs having already 1 goal and 5 assists in 4 games there. IMO, he is our future , probably , in replacing Suter.

20 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I hate to say it but I have started thinking that Fiala might be trade bait one day. That is if Fiala doesn't find chemistry with Kaprizov, but manages to develop that flashiness we saw at the end of last season. I also think we might end up pretty crowded in the defense, and if so, Menell or Addison might have value as well, not just Dumba. Pretty much everyone is expendable, for that elusive 1C the Wild has never had. Picks too, but those won't clear the cap space problems. Has any team ever gone far without a great center? Still, bidding wars don't sound good to me either. 

I'm not sure if trading Fiala for that "one missing piece", 1C, is a recipe for success. Kind of like giving up a mule to get a donkey. The Wild obviously needs Fiala, he's stepped up big time since the early days coming to Wild. So the question is who else is there to offer in exchange? Kaprizov, Fiala and Kahkonen should all be kept.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm not sure if trading Fiala for that "one missing piece", 1C, is a recipe for success. Kind of like giving up a mule to get a donkey. The Wild obviously needs Fiala, he's stepped up big time since the early days coming to Wild. So the question is who else is there to offer in exchange? Kaprizov, Fiala and Kahkonen should all be kept.

I know. I kind of hope, that we would somehow find a 1C or a near 1C with luck. We never get the first picks, but we did find Kaprizov and others in the later rounds. VGK has Stephenson in their first line and he's a third round pick.

Still, a 1C is a 1C. Nearly always more important than a winger. It's just that who would score, if we didn't have Fiala? Only possible to trade him, if guys like Boldy would show signs of being able to fill the void. It would have to be a surefire 1C, for sure, to lose all the assets for.

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I know. I kind of hope, that we would somehow find a 1C or a near 1C with luck. We never get the first picks, but we did find Kaprizov and others in the later rounds. VGK has Stephenson in their first line and he's a third round pick.

Still, a 1C is a 1C. Nearly always more important than a winger. It's just that who would score, if we didn't have Fiala? Only possible to trade him, if guys like Boldy would show signs of being able to fill the void. It would have to be a surefire 1C, for sure, to lose all the assets for.

I do not think Boldy has the same talent and experience as Fiala. As an addition to the team - yes, but not as a replacement. Fiala's talent is a Fiala's talent and it is not replaceable. Sincerely , I would like to see Boldy's as well as Rossi's plays at the Iowa Wild team first to see how they are capable to handle that level of hockey, which is pretty intense too. Like KHL the AHL is also a good machine for developing professionals. So far I am satisfied how is developing EEK. Sturm is also a nice speedy surprise for this season. In general, the team is looking better and capable to withstand a good pressure against the opposite team of course, if supported by a good solid goaltender. And a real valuable 1C , probably, would be a very expensive for us. I think it would be better to keep those money for Kaprizov, Fiala, Foligno and other players who are merit to hold here and whose contracts will be done this or next year. Plus, if I am not wrong, this year is an expansion year for Seattle team, which is kind of highly worry for me too. 

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

All you can do is give Boldy a chance see how he does.

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Is Fiala enough to get a number one center Iam sure it would likely take more. Who would take Fialas place

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

I do not think Boldy has the same talent and experience as Fiala. As an addition to the team - yes, but not as a replacement. Fiala's talent is a Fiala's talent and it is not replaceable. Sincerely , I would like to see Boldy's as well as Rossi's plays at the Iowa Wild team first to see how they are capable to handle that level of hockey, which is pretty intense too. Like KHL the AHL is also a good machine for developing professionals. So far I am satisfied how is developing EEK. Sturm is also a nice speedy surprise for this season. In general, the team is looking better and capable to withstand a good pressure against the opposite team of course, if supported by a good solid goaltender. And a real valuable 1C , probably, would be a very expensive for us. I think it would be better to keep those money for Kaprizov, Fiala, Foligno and other players who are merit to hold here and whose contracts will be done this or next year. Plus, if I am not wrong, this year is an expansion year for Seattle team, which is kind of highly worry for me too. 

I dont think Rossi is going to be that all star center but I guess we will see when he recovers hopefully he will 

21 hours ago, Bear said:

Is Fiala enough to get a number one center Iam sure it would likely take more. Who would take Fialas place

No he isn't unless his numbers begin to go through the roof.

Yeah, that's the question. Like said, a mule for a donkey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bear said:

We have enough donkeys

I guess... but to be fair, Wild's center pool looks (offensively) pretty thin. Johansson out and in the Tweet I posted on the VGK GTD Bjugstad says "he has to play within the skill set he has". Doesn't sound overly positive.