This and that Superstar double standard

yave1964

Last night in a blowout win over the Coyotes Nathan MacKinnon picked up the lid of Conor Garland and threw it in his face, receiving a game misconduct.

Now the question, will he be suspended? I STATE CATEGORICALLY that if that had been garland throwing a helmet in the face of a superstar he would be suspended, lets see what the league does with this.

A couple of nights ago McDavid was frustrated with the way the Canadiens were smothering his club in an eventual 4-0 shutout, he targeted Kotkaniemi with an elbow to the head, receiving a 2 minute penalty for roughing and after a league review a paltry 10K fine. No suspension. Again, Kotkaniemi does that to McJesus he gets multiple games and Marty McSorley comes out of retirement the next time the two meet to go after Kotkaniemi knocking him around every shift.

Every league has a bit of a double standard when it comes to superstars, the fans show up, advertisers pay to see these guys play but the NHL has long had a double standard when it comes to their stars. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I'm not gonna lie....that battle between the two is exactly one of the reasons i love this game, but you just can not throw a helmet at someone. As far as the elbow that McJesus threw, that was also (imo) suspension worthy.

That said, if McDavid's blatant elbow to a face was only worthy of a $5000.00 fine, then MacKinnon's weak helmet toss is a fineable offense as well.

@yave1964

Fair point but he NHL also does less (i/m/h/o) than any other major professional sport to protect its star players so if stars like McDavid and MacKinnon return what I'm sure has been done to them (and not caught on video by YouTube warriors and bloggers) I have nooooooo problem with it.  If you can't beat them with skill then clutch/grab/elbow/spear/slash/cheap shot/hurt them.  That kinda BS cost Mario and countless other players years of their careers. Every team has been on both sides of that coin at some point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Last night in a blowout win over the Coyotes Nathan MacKinnon picked up the lid of Conor Garland and threw it in his face, receiving a game misconduct.

Looked to me like MacKinnon was just giving him back his helmet, and Garland (surprised by the gesture of good sportsmanship) wasn't expecting it and got hit in the face.

😎

• Haha 1

McDavid's fine is about 0.077 percent of his yearly income. An average earning American would pay a fine of about 36 $ with that percent. If the superstars are not winning the games they need to win, they could just elbow every opponent's player out of their way. The rules should protect everyone, be it a one game journeyman or a superstar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As much as I want to support the players with their talents, i also think that they need to be treated fairly compared to us regular citizens. I think it's actually unfair how they are actually given more advantage because they are famous..