Holland has NOTHING on Steve Yzerman!

SpikeDDS

Yzerman is SO shrewd! He somehow gets a fourth-rounder by paying part of a salary of a player we aren’t even trading as well as moving Brian Laschoff to the TBL.

Stevie is being SO creative in trying to get picks. I LOVE this move! Talk about making the most of not much opportunity! Brian Laschoff for a FOURTH! What a bargain!!

Kenny Holland was NEVER this creative with his dealings. The only deal that he did in the last half of his tenure that even approaches this kind of creativity was the Pavel Datsyuk contract dump.

I am really impressed so far in how smart a GM Steve Yzerman is. Is it possible for him to be just as good a GM as he was a player? What a story it will be if Stevie can rescue this organization not once, but twice, both as a player and as a GM!

We are seeing the kind of foundation upon which rebuilds are completed. Of course we are FAR from completing it, and it sure would have been nice to get some assistance from the draft lottery, dang it! But Steve has said all along that this was both going to take a long time and going to require some luck too. Some of these fourth round picks have to end up being picks that should have gone rounds earlier. Only time will tell if he and his drafting team’s—Kris Draper et al—instincts are good enough to score big on a couple of these future selections as well as our early round picks. So far, he’s looking good on the early ones. Looking forward to seeing Seider prove Yzerman a genius once again starting next season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

Yzerman is SO shrewd! He somehow gets a fourth-rounder by paying part of a salary of a player we aren’t even trading as well as moving Brian Laschoff to the TBL.

Stevie is being SO creative in trying to get picks. I LOVE this move! Talk about making the most of not much opportunity! Brian Laschoff for a FOURTH! What a bargain!!

Kenny Holland was NEVER this creative with his dealings. The only deal that he did in the last half of his tenure that even approaches this kind of creativity was the Pavel Datsyuk contract dump.

I am really impressed so far in how smart a GM Steve Yzerman is. Is it possible for him to be just as good a GM as he was a player? What a story it will be if Stevie can rescue this organization not once, but twice, both as a player and as a GM!

We are seeing the kind of foundation upon which rebuilds are completed. Of course we are FAR from completing it, and it sure would have been nice to get some assistance from the draft lottery, dang it! But Steve has said all along that this was both going to take a long time and going to require some luck too. Some of these fourth round picks have to end up being picks that should have gone rounds earlier. Only time will tell if he and his drafting team’s—Kris Draper et al—instincts are good enough to score big on a couple of these future selections as well as our early round picks. So far, he’s looking good on the early ones. Looking forward to seeing Seider prove Yzerman a genius once again starting next season. 

Some people will be like " big deal, a 4th...probably end up nothing". And odds are it will. But every once in awhile a 4th ends up being Ryan Callahan/Keith Yandle/Johnny Gaudreau/Braden Holtby/TJ Brodie/Matt Ekholm/Jake Slavin/Drake Batherson or even...David Savard (yes he was a 4th rounder). Plenty of others taken there or after as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SpikeDDS said:

Usually it doesn't work out when a player becomes a GM.  Yzerman is a rare breed indeed.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Some people will be like " big deal, a 4th...probably end up nothing". And odds are it will. But every once in awhile a 4th ends up being Ryan Callahan/Keith Yandle/Johnny Gaudreau/Braden Holtby/TJ Brodie/Matt Ekholm/Jake Slavin/Drake Batherson or even...David Savard (yes he was a 4th rounder). Plenty of others taken there or after as well.

Middle 6 forwards and 4th/6th dmen are important too. Once you get a core of competent forwards, dmen and goalies, you need reliable pieces to place around them during refreshes and most goalies that turn out great are not taken in the 1st round like forwards.

Conor Hellebuyck, etc

Picks can be bartered to move up to 3rd and 2nd round, etc

He's playing the long game and acquiring picks. It's a good thing

• Like 2

@SpikeDDS

I am glad you are enjoying your hometown Red Wing guy doing some good work as an executive, but I got news for ya..... This ISN'T a revelation to anyone who has paid attention to his work prior to him joining the Wings front office.
He built a freakin champion in TB after all, and left the franchise on a path that should see them stay very competitive for at least the next decade, maybe more.

I remember people ridiculing some of his moves with the Lightning only to have Stevie Y have the last laugh.
For my part, I learned to "trust the Yzerman, for it will work out". 

Not surprised at all that he is making smart moves, thinking outside the box, and laying down the foundation for the next great Wings 'dynasty' if you will.
It's what he does.  :) 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@SpikeDDS

I am glad you are enjoying your hometown Red Wing guy doing some good work as an executive, but I got news for ya..... This ISN'T a revelation to anyone who has paid attention to his work prior to him joining the Wings front office.
He built a freakin champion in TB after all, and left the franchise on a path that should see them stay very competitive for at least the next decade, maybe more.

I remember people ridiculing some of his moves with the Lightning only to have Stevie Y have the last laugh.
For my part, I learned to "trust the Yzerman, for it will work out". 

Not surprised at all that he is making smart moves, thinking outside the box, and laying down the foundation for the next great Wings 'dynasty' if you will.
It's what he does.  :) 

I expected this kind of response from you, and I agree with you.

What is different here, though, is that in TB, he already was given Stamkos and Hedman. That’s a great start to forming a core than you can build around. What he did there was build AROUND that core.

Now, he actually has to build that core too. Larkin, as good as he is, is no Steven Stamkos. He is a great player, and will be a part of our core, but he is not superstar status in the same league as Stamkos was.

I DO think that Seider could become a Hedman-like D-man if he stays healthy, and if he does, that’s a BIG piece of the core necessary to seriously compete for a Cup that Stevie has filled.

To put it plainly, the Wings were a MUCH worse team when Yzerman started managing than the TBL were when he started there. And though it’s still doing somewhat similar things, it is rare to build a core from trades and UFAs. Cores are usually built from the draft in a salary cap world. You could buy one pre-cap. That’s what Detroit allowed Holland to do, and he did it well. So his draft picks need to work out and some of his later-round draft picks have to be surprises too.

So far, his ability to build around the core that he has looks pretty good. And Seider may turn out to be a great pick. But the rest of the core still has yet to be built. Maybe Zadina will shift a gear or two higher and become Stamkos-like.

Only time will tell on many of these questions. But you have to appreciate the creativity. A 4th-rounder for Laschoff + $250K is a bargain. Well played. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Middle 6 forwards and 4th/6th dmen are important too. Once you get a core of competent forwards, dmen and goalies, you need reliable pieces to place around them during refreshes and most goalies that turn out great are not taken in the 1st round like forwards.

I agree. At some point that's true for sure. Great teams are still only as good as their weakest links, so yes, these 4th rounders working out better are important, assuming you have the core to work them around. If you don't, sometimes you can try to give these guys more responsibility than they are really capable of handling and their play diminishes or never flourishes. Perfect example is Danny Dekeyser. Dekeyser wasn't as good when we was "the man" on D. Filip Hronek came and became "the man" on the blue line, and Dekeyser's game actually got better.

But yeah, in today's hockey climate, to seriously compete for the Cup, at least some of the later-round picks have to play like they should have been picked several rounds earlier. And yeah, there's definitely some luck involved there too.

• Like 1