Carter Hart scratched from today game... Lower Body Injury

pilldoc

Not sure if this was mentioned in the game thread.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/carter-hart-lower-body-injury-misses-flyers-capitals-game-saturday

"He tweaked something at the end of the Pittsburgh game, we were aware of it, he practiced yesterday, everything seemed fine — that's why we made the call on him playing today and Moose practicing this morning and Moose obviously playing tomorrow," Vigneault said after the Flyers' 6-3 loss to the Capitals. "But when he was warming up, he told Jimmy that he couldn't go. So around 11 o'clock, we told Alex he was coming in, we called back at the practice facility where Moose had just finished skating and told him to come and back up. We got caught a little bit off guard there."

https://sports.yahoo.com/carter-hart-lower-body-injury-160853348.html

"On Saturday, the head coach was forced to change his mind as Carter Hart was unexpectedly scratched from his scheduled start against the Capitals because of a lower-body injury. Hart practiced Friday. The timeline for his availability is uncertain. The Flyers entered Saturday eight points out of a playoff spot with 13 games left, so it's likely the club wanted to err on the side of caution with its 22-year-old goalie."

At this point depending on severity of the injury just shut him down for rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

At this point depending on severity of the injury just shut him down for rest of the season.

I'm not sure about shut him down but i would certainly call up Felix Sandstrom he is 24 it is time.

Where will he be in his development?? It is time to know if he can handle backing up Hart or do they need to find another option.

Lyon has almost served his purpose in Philly need to get some youth in goal besides Hart maybe.

I don't why if you are rebuilding you can't go with a Hart/Sandstrom duo for next year.

If the AHL isn't going to play games then they need to be called up and played.

Tired of seeing these underachieving vets get more and more ice time.

Letting Elliott walk might be the best thing to do.

It is youth and speed time. Learn on the fly.

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not sure about shut him down but i would certainly call up Felix Sandstrom he is 24 it is time.

You know that is a good idea.  Bring him up for a game or two and gauge his development from there. 

image.thumb.png.9ed4b7bc2a36545015616ca49a06fe84.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

You know that is a good idea.  Bring him up for a game or two and gauge his development from there. 

image.thumb.png.9ed4b7bc2a36545015616ca49a06fe84.png

Yes they are done, but you can still use the time to look at some different prospects.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I agree...but he only played in 4 games . At some point you have to see what you have...

Ya but I think that's where he is in the "A". He's played 6 games there over 3 seasons. Like a sieve this year. I'd like to see him get that in a little more control before facing NHL shooters. 24 isn't old for a goalie by any means.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Those numbers don't exactly scream call up. 

Doesn't really matter about the numbers. Lyon's number were good either before he got the start.

That team in front of him too has issues. It is full of kids trying to get the scouts attention as well as their coach...so there is will be a lot of free lancing instead of just playing within the system which turns into a lot of goals against.

The number that matter is 24 (his age) with ZERO NHL starts that my friend is not good.

Not for where the expectations where with this kid we they drafted him. Let him play some in the NHL it is time to see how he looks.

You can't develop by just practicing he has been on the taxi squad this season.

The Flyers season is a dumpster fire but i doesn't mean you can't get these kid's feet wet and getting them moving towards helping.

The time is now look at the top goalies in the division Sorokin (25) Shesterkin (25) Nedeljikovic (25) just for example are the age to be helping support their team....if even in a backup role even.

If the kid ain't ready to help Hart next season it is time to find another young backup to do this then.

Elliott is time for the pastures i'm afraid. It is time for Ustimenko and Ersson to play for the Phantoms and let's improve the net.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya but I think that's where he is in the "A". He's played 6 games there over 3 seasons. Like a sieve this year. I'd like to see him get that in a little more control before facing NHL shooters. 24 isn't old for a goalie by any means.

It is time bro stop making excuses for this team stop coddling the kids it is why they are in the mess like they are now not knowing how to develop talent. If he can't help now it is time to look elsewhere.

By next season he will be two years away from UFA status and yet you don't even know how he looks in the NHL. This season is lost so why not now....he can't look worse than Hart, Lyon or Elliott.

And if he bombs he is old enough to handle it....but who know maybe he looks solid and maybe they can't go cheap in a rebuild year next year with Hart and Sandstrom holding down the net and use Elliott's 1.5 mill towards other spots on the team.

Anyway i'm all ears for your fearful post back...

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I agree...but he only played in 4 games . At some point you have to see what you have...

I agree i want to see the kid play too. Other than watching the same guys get lit up.

The only thing i can think of is Chuckles trying to keep Seattle from taking is that why they aren't putting him in and playing him in the AHL so Seattle won't have any info on Sandstrom??

I guess maybe because he will have to be exposed....i guess maybe this is his plan. I don't know.

Protection:

F1 Giroux (NMC)
F2 Hayes (NMC)
F3 Couturier
F4 Konecny
F5 Lindblom
F6 Laughton
F7 Patrick (RFA, QO)

Remember, Farabee and Frost are both exempt as 2-year pros.

Exposed: Voracek, JVR, Aube-Kubel.

D1: Provorov
D2: Sanheim (RFA, QO)
D3: Myers

Exposed: Gostisbehere, Braun.

G: Hart (RFA, QO)

Exposed: Sandström (RFA, would need a QO).

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

57 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Protection:

F1 Giroux (NMC) / F2 Hayes (NMC) / F3 Couturier / F4 Konecny / F5 Lindblom
F6 Laughton / F7 Patrick (RFA, QO)

D1: Provorov / D2: Sanheim (RFA, QO) / D3: Myers

Appreciate the research and Exposure/Protection predictions. Depending on how the Kracken team wants to develop, I only see 2 viable names that the Kracken might want: Ghost or NAK

For the life of me I just cannot see the Kracken taking either Jake or JVR because of the contract size. ( I could be wrong here .....)

Braun is an aging D-man.  Depending on what other D-men are exposed by other teams then might not want Braun.

Sandstrom  is too much of an unknown.  I don't think they select him.

My guess is either Ghost or NAK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

The time is now look at the top goalies in the division Sorokin (25) Shesterkin (25) Nedeljikovic (25) just for example are the age to be helping support their team....if even in a backup role even.

Sorokin was just brought up this year...age 25. Shesterkin was just brought up last season, age 24. Nedeljikovic played in 6 games since 2016 until this year...age 25. Sandstrom is just getting to that age, he's not past it. 

I doubt they were "fearful" of them when they were younger...they were just developing them until they looked ready. If you think Sandstroms numbers look like he's NHL ready I don't know what to say. He's getting shellacked in the A...I'm sure NHL shooters will boost his confidence immensely.

Edited by flyercanuck

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Sorokin was just brought up this year...age 25. Shesterkin was just brought up last season, age 24. Nedeljikovic played in 6 games since 2016 until this year...age 25. Sandstrom is just getting to that age, he's not past it. 

I doubt they were "fearful" of them when they were younger...they were just developing them until they looked ready. If you think Sandstroms numbers look like he's NHL ready I don't know what to say. He's getting shellacked in the A...I'm sure NHL shooters will boost his confidence immensely.

Yeah. I just don't see any possible way of grouping Sandstrom in with a player like Shesterkin, who came away from 117 KHL games with a .935 SV% and then did the exact same thing in the American League.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree i want to see the kid play too. Other than watching the same guys get lit up.

The only thing i can think of is Chuckles trying to keep Seattle from taking is that why they aren't putting him in and playing him in the AHL so Seattle won't have any info on Sandstrom??

I guess maybe because he will have to be exposed....i guess maybe this is his plan. I don't know.

Protection:

F1 Giroux (NMC)
F2 Hayes (NMC)
F3 Couturier
F4 Konecny
F5 Lindblom
F6 Laughton
F7 Patrick (RFA, QO)

D1: Provorov
D2: Sanheim (RFA, QO)
D3: Myers

What about Morin and Haag , aren’t they left unprotected?