2020-21 Season Post-Mortem

Howie58

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would be good with move either but I prefer Jake.

We can explore Hayes come next year.

One step at a time.

I would pick up 2 mill of Jake's salary just to find him another address.

we need to clear cap and we need to go hard on d and we also need to spend cheap deals on forwards which i think fletch really missed out on last offseason which it could have made a huge difference here, just in case these young players dont make the team, actually i think fletch should have went after some vet d,  i know there wasnt a nisky out there but he could have easily signed some vet d on one year deals as well, not ahl players, in case the whole d feel apart at least he probably had reinforcements for av and he would make it work.

that offseason was on fletch and i said before the season started, this team was taking a step back because he was counting on the inexperience players to step up and i knew it wasnt going to work and i said av was getting dealt with a bad hand and he was going to have his hands full because of the inexperience and lack of vets. it wasnt going to work.

hopefully chuck learns his lesson and he will give av a better hand this offseason and try to get him all the experience players he can and not the same crap-fest he dealt with this season.  that's why the 2020 season was a great season for av because he had more vets to mix with the youth, not mixing youth with youth, it's just a bad mix.

Edited by tucson83

20 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But losing Voracek isn't critical to the Flyers' future in my opinion. Unloading Hayes' contract would be my priority. It's 2 years longer and only ~million less than JV. You call Voracek a "floater" but Hayes is the ultimate floater, him and JVR.

Stats often tell a narrative that can be skewed. To many here, its obvious Voracek is the center catalyst for what is functionally wrong with this current roster. So moving him would be the, and should be, the first step to righting the ship. Hayes isn't going anywhere. Im not arguing your observation of his play, or that he should or shouldn't go, just that they aren't going to move him

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i know there wasnt a nisky out there but he could have easily signed some vet d on one year deals as well

Curious who he "should" have signed last year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2020/defenseman/ufa/

The big names were mostly gone by the time Niskanen flaked out. I think Pietrangelo signed a few days after and Krug IIRC was already gone. The on;y "big" name out there was probably Chara who wasn't likely to come here and wasn't likely what they needed.

And who they might go after this year? I think this board looks a lot different when everything shakes out.
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/caphit/all/defense/ufa

I'd look at a Montour and maybe a Vantanen if they're looking for something steady and not flashy on the back end.

Hamilton and Savard, obviously, if they are available.  Is Tyson Barrie a .9 ppg player anywhere that doesn't have a 1.9 ppg player?

Michael del Zotto and Luke Schenn are out there! So is Braydon Coburn!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Hayes' NMC "expires" this next season.

He didn't want to be exposed to the expansion draft. 

That demand will be satisfied this summer.

According to https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/kevin-hayes-15821/ he's got another year NMC then a Modified-NTC (12-team no trade list) kicks in 2022 and runs the length of  the contract, which ends in 2025-26. Did I read it wrong somehow? I might've...

In any case it's a horrible contract...$7mil cap hit through 2026 for a 2nd line center (supposedly) who's NEVER put up even 50 pts. in the NHL. SIX seasons ago he hit 49. And you guys hate Voracek...At least Voracek's a solid 65pt guy.

Flyercanuck noted that Hayes did play well last year. The problem is Hayes has been around long enough to know last year was an exception. Why AV loves him is a mystery, he had to scratch him a few times in NY and for exactly the same reason...invisibility.

Whatever...Hayes isn't going anywhere, obviously AV still believes in him. Why I have no idea...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

Stats often tell a narrative that can be skewed. To many here, its obvious Voracek is the center catalyst for what is functionally wrong with this current roster. So moving him would be the, and should be, the first step to righting the ship.

Dude would have benefited greatly from more time with Jagr.

With his skill set and frame he should be a dominant player in the league, I reckon mom's pireogies and Czech beer cannot be overcome.

I do think his production can be made up, I also think his replacement pursuing the puck all 200 feet will lessen that impact. 

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Dude would have benefited greatly from more time with Jagr.

With his skill set and frame he should be a dominant player in the league, I reckon mom's pireogies and Czech beer cannot be overcome.

Well, we'll always have Paris(e).

Once they lost Pronger, they should have leaned hard on Jagr for a couple years for his experience and influence alone.

This gif brought to you by Homer

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

• Like 4

7 hours ago, radoran said:

Curious who he "should" have signed last year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2020/defenseman/ufa/

The big names were mostly gone by the time Niskanen flaked out. I think Pietrangelo signed a few days after and Krug IIRC was already gone. The on;y "big" name out there was probably Chara who wasn't likely to come here and wasn't likely what they needed.

yeah, fletch really had his hands tied up on that offseason.