Can/Will Ovie pass Gretzky in All Time Goals?

Alexandron

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, NHL HHOF said:

Just a little reminder that Alex Ovechkin is only 72 goals away from tying Wayne Gretzky for the most goals in NHL history.

Perhaps I am in the minority of Caps fans in my lack of historic regard for Ovechkin.

Here are some other remarkable comparisons between Ovie and Gretzky.  (To date, Ovie has played 140 less regular season games than The Great One.)

+/-:  Gretzky +520 Ovie +67

No comparison whatsoever!

How ‘bout playoffs where it matters most.  Gretz played 208 games, Ovie is at 147 now.  Both played on mostly good squads, but the Great One surely had better line mates esp Kurri.

Goals: Gretzky 122, Ovie 72

+/-: Gretzky +91, Ovie +5 (what?!?)

GWG (clutch playoff performance)

- Gretzky 24

- Ovechkin 10 (zero in OT, btw)

Again, no comparison really even taking into account Gretzky’s Oilers being huge for most of his playoff tenure there.

At some point, need to do similar comparisons between Ovie and other great players of the modern era.  Will he deserve a Top Ten All Time ?!?

Edited by SaucyJack

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Two consecutive games (CGY, @OTT) with zero shots on goal by the Ovinator.

First time this has happened in his career.

Breaking up the Slow Line (Ovi-Backs-Oshie) sure provided dividends in Ottawa last night eh.  

Alex Ovechkin fails to record a shot in consecutive games for first time in career

One of the NHL's preeminent snipers is off to a bit of a sluggish start by his standards.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/alex-ovechkin-fails-to-record-a-shot-in-consecutive-games-for-first-time-in-career-121306566.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 10:30 PM, SaucyJack said:

Perhaps I am in the minority of Caps fans in my lack of historic regard for Ovechkin.

Here are some other remarkable comparisons between Ovie and Gretzky.  (To date, Ovie has played 140 less regular season games than The Great One.)

+/-:  Gretzky +520 Ovie +67

No comparison whatsoever!

How ‘bout playoffs where it matters most.  Gretz played 208 games, Ovie is at 147 now.  Both played on mostly good squads, but the Great One surely had better line mates esp Kurri.

Goals: Gretzky 122, Ovie 72

+/-: Gretzky +91, Ovie +5 (what?!?)

GWG (clutch playoff performance)

- Gretzky 24

- Ovechkin 10 (zero in OT, btw)

Again, no comparison really even taking into account Gretzky’s Oilers being huge for most of his playoff tenure there.

At some point, need to do similar comparisons between Ovie and other great players of the modern era.  Will he deserve a Top Ten All Time ?!?

Some other notes on comparing the two...Gretzky rang up all those goals while being the best playmaker in the game.

OV rang up all those goals while being one of the biggest goal sucks in the game. He's spent most of his career thinking shoot first. 

Ovechkin has played 1 less year than Gretzky, yet has 1300 more shots.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

OV rang up all those goals while being one of the biggest goal sucks in the game. He's spent most of his career thinking shoot first.

And as you said also, never the playmaker Gretzky (or Lemieux) were.

It’s one reason I do not want Gretzky’s record broken; it would further overrate Ovechkin.

I don’t hate Ovie; more like disappointed in his overall game through the years, his usual inability to play 2-way (despite his hard-checking prowess), and inability to raise his game and team in playoffs.

————-

Anybody remember basketball’s “Pistol Pete” Maravich?  LSU then New Orleans Jazz?  Biggest shot hog in history of sport.  Scored a ton but so many turnovers and never passed the ball.  Hard to be quite like that in hockey but maybe Ovie is the closest that comes to mind like this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

And as you said also, never the playmaker Gretzky (or Lemieux) were.

It’s one reason I do not want Gretzky’s record broken; it would further overrate Ovechkin.

I don’t hate Ovie; more like disappointed in his overall game through the years, his usual inability to play 2-way (despite his hard-checking prowess), and inability to raise his game and team in playoffs.

————-

Anybody remember basketball’s “Pistol Pete” Maravich?  LSU then New Orleans Jazz?  Biggest shot hog in history of sport.  Scored a ton but so many turnovers and never passed the ball.  Hard to be quite like that in hockey but maybe Ovie is the closest that comes to mind like this?

And one of the few times he  ever bought into the "team" mentality....he won the cup. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to be a skeptical if Ovechkin will ever pass Gretzky record in goals. Just in one category "maximum goals production in NHL career".  In my opinion, we should not compare records of Ovechkin and Gretzky in other categories, because they played in different era, different hockey, different teams. Ovechkin started his season in a very unusual for him low production. This why I am skeptical now if he will be able to beat Gretzky record.

On 11/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, Alexandron said:

we should not compare records of Ovechkin and Gretzky in other categories, because they played in different era, different hockey, different teams.

I don’t know that the sport today is all that different from the 80’s and 90’s when Gretzky ran wild and earned what I think is his G.O.A.T. honor.

Now the game is very different from the days I first watched as a kid, roughly 1968 to 1972.  Teams mostly played 4 D and 3 lines.  An extra forward might come on mostly to penalty kill.

Defenseman always skated backwards in their own zone.  It seemed like a rush was nearly always 3-on-2 as forwards didn’t seem to back-check quickly.  

Bottom line:  if someone went to YouTube and watched numerous game clips from, say, 1970 & 1984 & 2022, I’ll wager that play from 1984 resembles that of 2022 (38 years later) far more than it does to 1970 (14 years prior).

Edited by SaucyJack

• 3 weeks later...