Trade Coming?

Guest Leach27

I find the Walker bit to be troubling:

The source also indicated that Walker’s demotion to the Phantoms appears to be temporary, saying that he was just sent to Adirondack briefly to allow the recall of two replacements (Harry Zolnierczyk and Ben Holmstrom) for the price of his $1.7 million salary.

“He’ll be back,” the source said. “That’s for certain.”

Any other team could pick him up for about $850k on re-entry, with the Flyers picking up the other half. At that price, Walker is fair market value and there might be some takers out there.

I find the Walker bit to be troubling:

Any other team could pick him up for about $850k on re-entry, with the Flyers picking up the other half. At that price, Walker is fair market value and there might be some takers out there.

I thought he had already been down and up once clearing waivers, so he is good to go for now.

@Leach27

I would imagine that they have to get somebody that is a solid 5-6 guy.

I didn't like the "Walker will be back" comment though.

I thought he would be gone forever.

yeah,I didn't like that quote either. I wasn't too thrilled with his defensive play when he was in the lineup so I was happy to see he was demoted..

That said, I'm not sure how valuable of trade bait he is. I can't see a team picking him up just from his salary alone. His play certainly isn't worth it, even for team who have ample room under the cap. Unless there's a GM who would look at him as a goon who can relatively decent hockey.

I thought he had already been down and up once clearing waivers, so he is good to go for now.

He cleared earlier in October, which is why the Flyers were able to send him down to Glen Falls right away. He will have to clear re-entry waivers to be back on the Flyers roster, at which point any team can claim him for half his cap hit (and we're stuck with the other half).

I doubt the Flyers will bring back Walker. They surely do not want to carry the 850k on their cap for the rest of the season.

I know the article says no trade coming, but paul has said that before and still traded. A trade for a D??? I think that would be possible, someone 1 million or less. Thoughts?

lol, they read my post on silly.com that Holmgren was at the Caps game on tues, and wrote an article for thurs

really surprised they didn't suggest Schenn for Sbisa.

I think there is one in the works and I sure as hell hope it's to address the defense. I think the D is too much finesse and we need another bull dozer that plays with an edge to compliment Pronger. Sort of like when we had Hatcher and Jason Smith.

Seeing as Homer was at the Caps game and that their cap situation is even worse then ours, I would hope it might be for John Erskine. He is a big stay at home guy who will hit and drop the mitts if need be. He would definitely help to clear the porch and make opposing players pay the price for crashing the crease. He is also a VERY cap friendly 1.5 million dollars. He is who I wanted the Flyers to target more so then Lilja.

The Caps might be unwilling to move him to a team within the conference however.

Other moves or more significance that I would explore:

A - Carle for Barrett Jackman - Both UFA's, similar salaries but while we swap out one of our finesse guys, we get leadership, solid defensive play and a physical presence on D. This is a deal that helps both teams.

B - Possibly try to get either Bryan Allen or Gleason from the Hurricanes. Both are physical more stay at home guys. But salaries are an issue as Allen is at 2.9 and Gleason 2.7. Again either Carle or Coburn in exchange and we gain some needed cap space to give us some flexibility at the deadline.

C - Total off the wall thought - Talk to Nashville. They have a ton of depth on defense and just about everyone is an RFA or UFA after the season is over. We have a history of dealing with them and due to their situation might be willing to deal either Suter or Weber.

Nashville is going to have to do something. There is no way they will be able to retain Weber and Suter who will likely command 6-7m a season on defense. IF (BIG IF) there was ANY possibility of acquiring Weber I explore it. It would take a lot but if it took Meszaros, Schenn, and a first I would do it as get a franchise defenseman and the heir apparent to Pronger. Heck it might even take Mez, Schenn, Hartnell, and a 1st.

Weber, Shea » $7,500,000

RFA Suter, Ryan » $3,500,000

UFA Bouillon, Francis » $1,350,000

UFA Klein, Kevin » $1,350,000 $1,350,000

UFA Blum, Jonathon » EL

icon_10chart_bonus.png $941,667

RFA Laakso, Teemu » $675,000

RFA Hillen, Jack » $650,000

RFA

I know there is alot of talk on this board (and the old one) about trading Schenn but I wouldn't do that unless we thought we were really close to a cup. No matter what the Flyers try spin on this season as, it is fairly obvious that this is a rebuilding year. Yes we may make a playoff run and we may get to the second round, but I do not see a cup this year. I would rather see them hold onto Schenn and see what he matures into a season or two from now.

I know there is alot of talk on this board (and the old one) about trading Schenn but I wouldn't do that unless we thought we were really close to a cup. No matter what the Flyers try spin on this season as, it is fairly obvious that this is a rebuilding year. Yes we may make a playoff run and we may get to the second round, but I do not see a cup this year. I would rather see them hold onto Schenn and see what he matures into a season or two from now.

Agreed... Patience is needed. I'm not into trading him unless something too good to pass up came along. Like if LA wanted to send us Richards for schenn and Simmonds.... Er um.