Game 66: Flyers at Predators; 3/27/22 @ 6 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The early betting line puts us at +205, which is better than the Colorado game.  

We are coming off the 6-3 shellacking from Colorado; the Preds are coming off consecutive 6-1 losses to LA and Vegas, which should make for a determined opponent:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/predators-look-for-bounce-back-performance-vs-flyers/

At this stage, the Flyers are probably more concerned with progress than winning or losing.  Do we have a new defense pairing in Cam and Provy?  Is Hodgson a late bloomer worth keeping or does he end up with the Phantoms?  Where does Tippett fit?  The audition continues.  

Edited by Howie58

Samifan:

So much for learning to compete....Sam Hinkie for General Manager, randomly selected board member as Coach.  For Medical Director: Doc Brown from "Back to the Future." Semi-seriously, I do think these last 18 games will add value as a testing ground for next year.  Giroux's trade speeded up what would have happened anyhow.  Short-term, we may not be as good a faceoff team.  Long-term, let's start building the next gen of faceoff aces.   It isn't fun to see us lose badly, per Colorado, but there were some signs of hope (Tippett, H-squared, Sanheim).  We showed some good team speed against Saint Louis.

I am mildly optimistic that the franchise has pretty much bottomed out.  Agreed with some that CF may not be the best architect, but I can't see things getting worse.  

Edited by Howie58

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Howie, Howie, Howie...

This is the guy who traded what you would for a stud #1 defenceman, and got a lousy 5,6,7. Then gave him a 5 year $5 miilion per contract.

This is the guy who signed a player who said he wouldn't play here unless they overpaid him, so he did. And over termed him as well. 

This is the guy who brought in the worst defenceman in the league so he could get the "look I avoid contact" record. 

This is the guy who acquires players because of the state they're from, instead of their talent. 

3 of those 4 things he's done less than a year ago. Things can get worse...way worse. I'm not sure if there's a single player who hasn't got worse since he took over the team. 

Dear FC:

If they get worse, I will disengage. Watching another season like this could bring dementia.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm already there...your enthusiasm gives me hope though Howie!

I am not an optimist by nature. I do think the Yeo era has been less hapless than the AV edition. There's more team speed. He has them playing more disciplined hockey. The young players are showing some talent and creativity. 

Can we build a nucleus for above-average to elite status? Boy, that is tough to say. I think we have another year of gut wrenching roster moves. The apparent coaching changes will bring more change. So, I am not holding my breath. But, if JVR, Yandle, and others move out, we get some new blood.

The other question is the status of Coots and Ellis, particularly Ellis? We see.

Coaching is another big question. 

I guess we channel Eisenhower with weary optimism, or Reagan with trust but verify.

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I am not an optimist by nature. I do think the Yeo era has been less hapless than the AV edition. There's more team speed. He has them playing more disciplined hockey. The young players are showing some talent and creativity. 

It would be the reason I would normally tune in on a bad season...to watch the yoots. I just can't this year.

Can we build a nucleus for above-average to elite status? Boy, that is tough to say. I think we have another year of gut wrenching roster moves. The apparent coaching changes will bring more change. So, I am not holding my breath. But, if JVR, Yandle, and others move out, we get some new blood.

Let's just hope the new blood isn't in line with some of Fletchers other acquisitions. His long term deals are just plain bad.

The other question is the status of Coots and Ellis, particularly Ellis? We see.

Confident Couturier comes back 100%. Hoping anyway. I don't have a clue on Ellis.

Coaching is another big question. 

As always. 

I guess we channel Eisenhower with weary optimism, or Reagan with trust but verify.

Sorry, I'm not channeling Reagan on anything.

• Good Post 1

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It would be the reason I would normally tune in on a bad season...to watch the yoots. I just can't this year.

Let's just hope the new blood isn't in line with some of Fletchers other acquisitions. His long term deals are just plain bad.

Confident Couturier comes back 100%. Hoping anyway. I don't have a clue on Ellis.

As always. 

Well, I will rephrase as believe it when we see it!

• Like 1

Here is the probable lineup according to Jordan Hall.  It look like Martin Jones in goal:

Projected lineup

Forwards

James van Riemsdyk-Joel Farabee-Cam Atkinson

Hayden Hodgson-Kevin Hayes-Oskar Lindblom

Max Willman-Morgan Frost-Owen Tippett

Kevin Connauton-Patrick Brown-Zack MacEwen

Defensemen

Ivan Provorov-Cam York

Travis Sanheim-Rasmus Ristolainen

Keith Yandle-Nick Seeler

Goalies

Martin Jones

Carter Hart

The third defensive paring is strange.  Keeping Yandle in for sentimental reasons, maybe.  Couldn't we call up someone from Lehigh to get some experience?

Edited by Howie58

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

As always. 

Lol, RIGHT!  We would definitely be getting the dementia version. 🤪

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Couldn't we call up someone from Lehigh to get some experience?

I think the Flyers DON'T want to be the team to break his iron man streak.

Yandle will help inch close to a got pick and i could careless about the out of the game i just don't want any injuries.

However if they bring Yandle back for next season i am DONE with this team. DONE!

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think the Flyers DON'T want to be the team to break his iron man streak.

Yandle will help inch close to a got pick and i could careless about the out of the game i just don't want any injuries.

However if they bring Yandle back for next season i am DONE with this team. DONE!

Ya, the Flyers don't want to break it, but another contact allergic player will as soon as someone realizes Yandle can't play anymore. Kessel is like 20 games behind him. That record will be short-lived.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That record will be short-lived.

I could gets give two shits either way....to achieve a record in a physical sport like hockey AVOIDING contact is weak as fcuk.

And is down right meaningless....Jarvis will always be the Ironman in my eyes because he earned it the right way. Fug the other two hockey player imposters.

Edited by OccamsRazor
fcuk Yandle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

FOuZsB7XIAgHEdW.jpg.cc066ece82100fe7a93cea19b01afe2f.jpg

Just for you it will help you get through the game.....

:beer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

FOuZsB7XIAgHEdW.jpg.cc066ece82100fe7a93cea19b01afe2f.jpg

Just for you it will help you get through the game.....

:beer:

I've had that, it's pretty tasty.

You have to like citrus though.

DIPAs usually give me a headache this one didn't.