*** 2022 NHL entry draft, July 7th and 8th - Bell Centre, Montreal ***

OccamsRazor

45 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Die Washington Capitals werden sich in der nächsten Saison einem harten Wettbewerb stellen müssen, um die Playoffs zu erreichen

(The Washington Capitals will find stiff competition to even make the playoffs next season)  :) 

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't do German, but it sounds like you want the Capitals to DIE! 😄

I had 3 years of it n HS.  That was a VERY LONG time ago and I barely passed German 3.

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Basing that off the fact that both Carolina and the NY Rangers should still be good, the Islanders may come back, now that they aren't the NHL Nomads, the Penguins are always sniffing around the post season picture, and even the Devils, despite their horrid defense and questions in goal, should be able to score goals close to Avs or Leaves® quality!

Flyers are the wild card in that division!

Unless Torts pulls a magician act, I really do not see the Flyers making the playoffs.  Will they be better .....perhaps.  But worthy of a playoff spot. IMHO ....no.

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I really like the Savoie pick.  A lot.

I'm not a fan of the Ostlund pick, and it's not even about Ostlund.  I think he's probably a decent prospect that might become a middle six winger.  He's currently a center, but I suspect he won't be if/when he makes the NHL.  Who knows?   My issue with it was Kemell was still sitting there and, I think, the better player.  I'm not familiar with 6 with Buffalo's (deep) talent pool so maybe they decided to take a swing at center depth rather than a goal-scoring winger who many scouts had in or near the top 10.  

Still a decent pick here, but wouldn't have been my choice.

I don't know enough about their third pick to comment.  At that point it's a little more of a crap shoot. It didn't seem terrible, though.

I think Buffalo fans should probably be happy overall. The sabres seem like a team that's coming. And soon.

I hope so. But we need a goalie

17 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Time will indeed tell.

Seems the Sabres addressed the need for offense by drafting guys that could potentially offer that at the NHL level, but again, we will see over the course of the next two or three seasons.
Other than Savoie, your first rounder, I am not too sure the other picks will make an immediate impact this coming season.

No doubt at least two or maybe all three may go to Rochester. That might bake the Americans a better team for sure. If nothing is done in the goalie situation then I have to assume they are going with Luukenen?   Still hoping they pull a trade or pick up one of these guys.  Maybe even Holtby

50 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No doubt at least two or maybe all three may go to Rochester. That might bake the Americans a better team for sure. If nothing is done in the goalie situation then I have to assume they are going with Luukenen?   Still hoping they pull a trade or pick up one of these guys.  Maybe even Holtby

I'll be stunned if any of them make it to Rochester this year. Maybe Savoie, but probably another year--or two--of baking in juniors

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'll be stunned if any of them make it to Rochester this year. Maybe Savoie, but probably another year--or two--of baking in juniors

Well that was a typo.  Savoie will absolutely be in Rochester. I want to know if Quinn or Peterka will make the Sabres?

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well that was a typo.  Savoie will absolutely be in Rochester. I want to know if Quinn or Peterka will make the Sabres?

Not this year or next. And probably not even Rochester.  I doubt Savoie makes it to Rochester this year.  It's possible but it would be foolish.  

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Not this year or next. And probably not even Rochester.  I doubt Savoie makes it to Rochester this year.  It's possible but it would be foolish.  

I think it happens in this now watered down AHL.  There are a zillion teams there now. Just like in baseball the international league.  I just learned yesterday that the parent team for Rochester is now the stinking Nationals!  It was the Twins after my Orioles ended a long relationship.  To hell with them.  I am an O's fan for life

22 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think it happens in this now watered down AHL.  There are a zillion teams there now. Just like in baseball the international league.  I just learned yesterday that the parent team for Rochester is now the stinking Nationals!  It was the Twins after my Orioles ended a long relationship.  To hell with them.  I am an O's fan for life

I think it's a bad idea for his development and I wouldn't waste an ELC year that way, I don't care if there's an AHL team on every corner.

Cole Caufield isn't a great comparison because he was going to college, but similar size concerns.   He didn't hit pro for two years after being drafted. Savoie is small (Savoie is 5'9") and only 18.  I would keep him in junior at least one more year. Buffalo has young centers so there's no reason to destroy Savoie's career before it even starts by rushing him.  

Edited by ruxpin

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think it's a bad idea for his development and I wouldn't waste an ELC year that way, I don't care if there's an AHL team on every corner.

Cole Caufield isn't a great comparison because he was going to college, but similar size concerns.   He didn't hit pro for two years after being drafted. Savoie is small (Savoie is 5'9") and only 18.  I would keep him in junior at least one more year. Buffalo has young centers so there's no reason to destroy Savoie's career before it even starts by rushing him.  

I get what your saying but it all depends.  If the kid is ready, do not hold him back either. Powers is going to start this year, I assure you. Its only going to help him, and us.  Luukenen had better be ready.  He has had ample developement time.  Now its time to see him start if we do not pull off a deal or pick up one of these free agents.  Its rare for Buffalo to make a big splash in free agency because we are in a small market. Von Miller was a  pretty big deal by the Bills, but the Bills are favored in Vegas to win the Super Bowl.  And that is a rare thing around here.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I get what your saying but it all depends.  If the kid is ready, do not hold him back either. Powers is going to start this year, I assure you. Its only going to help him, and us.  Luukenen had better be ready.  He has had ample developement time.  Now its time to see him start if we do not pull off a deal or pick up one of these free agents.  Its rare for Buffalo to make a big splash in free agency because we are in a small market. Von Miller was a  pretty big deal by the Bills, but the Bills are favored in Vegas to win the Super Bowl.  And that is a rare thing around here.

Yeah but none of those guys started in their draft year. They (the Sabres) did the smart thing and waited. And Powers is 6'6" it's not like he's going to be run over.  I think he's coming up a year early, actually, but I think he'll be okay.  More pressure to push him because he's a first overall.

I highly doubt you see Savoie in New York other than at a development camp.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Savoie will absolutely NOT be in Rochester this year. He will either be a Sabre (doubtful) or go back to junior. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't do German, but it sounds like you want the Capitals to DIE! 😄

Mine read, in Spanish, "The Washington Capitals will find stiff competition to even make the playoffs next season"

Basing that off the fact that both Carolina and the NY Rangers should still be good, the Islanders may come back, now that they aren't the NHL Nomads, the Penguins are always sniffing around the post season picture, and even the Devils, despite their horrid defense and questions in goal, should be able to score goals close to Avs or Leaves® quality!

Flyers are the wild card in that division!

TFG, is there anything to report on my Sabres in the late rounds?  Did they take anyone of notice or is it just a bunch of young punks that we really do not know?

On 7/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Im sick.  Detroit Red Wings just got Husso for a stinking 3rd round pick!!!  WTF???  How does that happen?  Are the Blues nuts?  Is Adams nuts?

They got his rights Husso is a UFA.

So they dealt a 3rd for exclusive rights to negotiate with him I'd all before free agency begins.

They then signed him to a new deal.

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

TFG, is there anything to report on my Sabres in the late rounds?  Did they take anyone of notice or is it just a bunch of young punks that we really do not know?

Well, HJ, the ENTIRE draft is filled with "young punks" 😄
Question always is... did teams pick the RIGHT punks for them??

According to most draft experts, the Sabres overall did very well on draft day. Like I said to you in an earlier post, the Sabres looked to address offense, and it looks like they did that throughout the draft.

Almost all are at least two to three seasons away (except Savoie if they start him in the NHL right away), but all Buffalo's picks seemingly have one thing in common: They are good offensively.
Whether they translate to the North American pro game or not is another question, as per usual with young kids.

Oh, and Buffalo did grab another goalie as well in that group. 11 total picks for the draft.

Here is the link to Buffalo's own site, where they talk a bit about each guy if you want to have a read yourself:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/2022-nhl-draft-tracker-sabres-to-pick-8-times-on-day-2/c-334876098

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They got his rights Husso is a UFA.

So they dealt a 3rd for exclusive rights to negotiate with him I'd all before free agency begins.

They then signed him to a new deal.

Gave his ass away.  What the hell his Adams doing?  The bastard obviously does not want to spend any damn money or maybe he is dead set on Luukenen?  I wish I knew

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, HJ, the ENTIRE draft is filled with "young punks" 😄
Question always is... did teams pick the RIGHT punks for them??

According to most draft experts, the Sabres overall did very well on draft day. Like I said to you in an earlier post, the Sabres looked to address offense, and it looks like they did that throughout the draft.

Almost all are at least two to three seasons away (except Savoie if they start him in the NHL right away), but all Buffalo's picks seemingly have one thing in common: They are good offensively.
Whether they translate to the North American pro game or not is another question, as per usual with young kids.

Oh, and Buffalo did grab another goalie as well in that group. 11 total picks for the draft.

Here is the link to Buffalo's own site, where they talk a bit about each guy if you want to have a read yourself:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/2022-nhl-draft-tracker-sabres-to-pick-8-times-on-day-2/c-334876098

Thanks.  Do you think the goalie could be better than Luukenen?  I mean, nobody saw Hasek coming, especially the Blackhawks

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Gave his ass away.  What the hell his Adams doing?  The bastard obviously does not want to spend any damn money or maybe he is dead set on Luukenen?  I wish I knew

If that was the best offer they got then they took it. Looks like Adams is sleep at the wheel.

Maybe he has something up his sleeve....these days hard to say. A few options on the market.

Kuemper??? Halak?? Holtby?? Yeah not sure...