Malkin cross check, suspension coming ?

Malkin definitely facing suspension cross check

MALKIN IS DEFINITELY FACING A SUSPENSION FOR THIS CROSS CHECK

APR 10, 2022  (20H31)      BEN

The Penguins and Predators were just finishing up the second period of their Sunday game when Pens forward Evgeni Malkin took issue with Preds defender Mark Borowiecki. Malkin slashed Boro's stick in half and followed that up with a cross check to the face that busted the Preds defenseman open, potentially even knocking out some teeth. It was undoubtedly a dirty play that should see supplemental discipline from the league, but honestly these days, who knows?

If Auston Matthews got 2 games for cross cheking Rasmus Dahlin, what is Evgeni Malkin should get a much steeper punishment. In the Matthews/Dahlin incident, Dahlin didn't even miss a shift. In the Malkin/Borowiecki incident, Boro was definitely not so lucky.

The NHL claims to be cracking down on cross checks this season, but so far Matthews is the only one who seems to have been cracked down on. For the rest of the league, it seems, a $5000 fine is the standard.

Thanks to Matthews' suspension, every one of these cross checks will be compared to it by Leafs fans. This one definitely did a LOT more damage. It will be interesting to see whether or not Player Safety does their job here.

4 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:
Malkin definitely facing suspension cross check

MALKIN IS DEFINITELY FACING A SUSPENSION FOR THIS CROSS CHECK

APR 10, 2022  (20H31)      BEN

The Penguins and Predators were just finishing up the second period of their Sunday game when Pens forward Evgeni Malkin took issue with Preds defender Mark Borowiecki. Malkin slashed Boro's stick in half and followed that up with a cross check to the face that busted the Preds defenseman open, potentially even knocking out some teeth. It was undoubtedly a dirty play that should see supplemental discipline from the league, but honestly these days, who knows?

If Auston Matthews got 2 games for cross cheking Rasmus Dahlin, what is Evgeni Malkin should get a much steeper punishment. In the Matthews/Dahlin incident, Dahlin didn't even miss a shift. In the Malkin/Borowiecki incident, Boro was definitely not so lucky.

The NHL claims to be cracking down on cross checks this season, but so far Matthews is the only one who seems to have been cracked down on. For the rest of the league, it seems, a $5000 fine is the standard.

Thanks to Matthews' suspension, every one of these cross checks will be compared to it by Leafs fans. This one definitely did a LOT more damage. It will be interesting to see whether or not Player Safety does their job here.

Malkin is about as dirty of an elite player as there is. he gets away with a lot, so we'll see how this plays out. I'm guessing yet another slap on the wrist.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Malkin is about as dirty of an elite player as there is. he gets away with a lot, so we'll see how this plays out. I'm guessing yet another slap on the wrist.

Thats unfortunite no matter the punishment

Seems to be consensus that appropriate punishment has been meted out. 

71 has a bad temper. It has continually hurt his team.

They're locked for the playoffs, so no immediate damage.  If I'm Sid, I'm sprinkling some aripriprazole in with his pregame cereal. 

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Seems to be consensus that appropriate punishment has been meted out. 

71 has a bad temper. It has continually hurt his team.

They're locked for the playoffs, so no immediate damage.  If I'm Sid, I'm sprinkling some aripriprazole in with his pregame cereal. 

200.gif

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Yep...just saw, 4 is appropraite

Somehow I can't imagine a Flyer with Malkins history (of cheapshots, not suspensions) getting only 4 games.

Malkin, meanwhile has got away with all kinds of dirty play, a lot of it to unsuspecting players. He's had multiple slew foots in the last few minutes of one playoff game, an instigator (automatic suspension to anyone) in the last minute of a playoff game, launched himself into Blake Wheelers head and got zip, this latest one was after the buzzer went. The only suspension he actually was given was for swinging his stick at Michael Raffls head...ONE GAME! As big and strong as Malkin is, it's usually his stick that he uses on the opposition.

• Like 1