6th place and falling fast

Guest trevluk

Perhaps a bit dramatic but 2 months ago this team was 2 pts out of first place. They are now 1 pt out of 7th place. Not sure how else to describe that fall.

The Rags are running away with the regular season.

The Flyers are still just two points out of 4th.

Quite frankly, I'd rather be 6th...

Still 20 games to play for the 4, 6 & 7 seeds. Lots of things to happen.

The Rags are running away with the regular season.

The Flyers are still just two points out of 4th.

Quite frankly, I'd rather be 6th...

Still 20 games to play for the 4, 6 & 7 seeds. Lots of things to happen.

Agreed. At this point, 6th place would be ideal. The Flyers might actually have a chance to get past the first round against the SouthLeast division. Otherwise, it's one and done.

Agreed. At this point, 6th place would be ideal. The Flyers might actually have a chance to get past the first round against the SouthLeast division. Otherwise, it's one and done.

I think they can beat Ottawa and Bryz actually has outstanding numbers against the Devils. No, really: 2-0, 0.40, .983.

I'm liking their first round chances more and more. It's at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds I think they have real problems.

Another way to look at the Flyers now is that without the stupid seeding, they're just 2 points out of 2nd...

They are now 1 pt out of 7th place

3 points separate 2nd and 7th.

take what you are saying about the flyers, and apply it to the bruins. they are 1 point from 5th, and 3pts from 7th. if they lose 2 in a row (they have lost 6 of their last 10, after all) and slip to 7th, would they be falling fast, one and done if they even make the playoffs? or do you reserve your negativity for the flyers alone, with everyone else being judged by a different and more reasoned standard?

Actually this year against teams from the Western conference the Flyers record is 10-5-2.

Thanks for setting me straight on this. Kind of interesting; I normally see us having problems with these folks. I wonder what our long-term track record is against these people.

Best,

Howie

@JackStraw

"...In the same park once, my dog and one of his friends stole this woman's jacket and played tug of war with it, then dropped it in a nearby stream. While we are running frantically around trying recover the jacket (which had the woman's cell phone in it) who is standing there watching but Bill and Hilary. Good times for sure."

Didn't happen to be Monica Zielinskis jacket did it??

This aint good. Our defensive additions have done nothing. Lost 6 of the last 7. Goaltending maybe a little better but nothing to show for it. The ship is taking on water and most likely will gurgle its last breath in the first round of the playoffs if they are lucky enough to get that far. Looking for positives but coming up empty. Where is that guy who said the Flyers could go 22-5 to end the season? I rightfully laughed at him then but need his optimism now.

"I don't know if we got better or worse, but we got different."

Paul Holmgren 2011

@JackStraw

Ooops Lewinski.

Oh her. No, but once when I went to my neighborhood coffee shop, I sat down and the people next to me told me that that she had just been sitting at the table on the other side of me. Apparently she had a muffin of some kind. I sat next to Monica Lewinski's crumbs. No crude jokes, please.

Perhaps a bit dramatic but 2 months ago this team was 2 pts out of first place. They are now 1 pt out of 7th place. Not sure how else to describe that fall.

I'd say it's fairly reasonable actually. It's not like it's November. The team is trending in the wrong direction at the wrong time.... sigh.... again. However, no one is calling for a fire sale except maybe Bak "FIRE ALL THINGS!!!!" ;p

3 points separate 2nd and 7th.

excellent point. That said, there's more to this then the numbers if you ask me. The team looked phenomenal at the beginning of the season, exceeding almost everybody's expectations. Almost to a fault. If memory serves, people were calling this a rebuilding season due to the fact that the Flyers lost so much fire power. Well, the team proved the fire power was all well and good, if not better then it was the previous season so expectations began to soar. Then the D and G positions began to prove that they weren't going to perform up to off season expectations but it was okay, the offense was bailing them out time and again. Now here we are at a familiar junction and things look, well....

I have never lost the faith that this team is playoff bound. I also have never had the faith that they will go deep. Am I saying they won't? of course not, 2 seasons ago was proof enough that you can't use the regular season to prejudge PO performance.