Jump to content

Sabres will retire Miller's number and pick up Ben Bishop from Dallas


Recommended Posts

Next season the Buffalo Sabres will be retiring Ryan Miller's #30 number and it will be raised into the rafters. 

 

Miller leads the Sabres in wins with 284, games played with 540, and had 41 wins in one season which is also a team record. He played 11 seasons for the Buffalo Sabres.

 

His jersey number being retired is well deserved. 

Edited by Captain Lando
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, I am happy for Miller, a celebration will be done next year at one game to honor him.  On a 2nd and very important note, the Sabres have their established goaltender.  Finally.  Ben Bishop has been picked up by the Sabres.  I could care less about the contract stuff.  As long as he is ok, I would not consider him the starter unless something happens with Luukenen.  I would assume Luukenen is gone soon.  He was never going to be Hasek or Miller and not even Edwards or Sauve.  Now we do need a backup. But maybe Luukenen does stay to compete?  I doubt it. I hope Ullmark gets lit up like a Xmas tree in Boston next year.  They are going to have problems.  Fire a good coach, cap strapped and Hockey Guy thinks Bergeron might be gone. Back to my Sabres, to the other poster, I did not read his comment.  I do not even know if he is a Buffalo fan.  He named his post "Its Miller Time", NO, it was Miller time.  He will be honored.  I wish he was suiting up.  Now we must hope Bishop can have  a jump in his step in a new franchise. And that we can get our hands on a good FA this summer, a forward.  I think we are ok on defense right now as long as we get decent pay from the goalie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

First, I am happy for Miller, a celebration will be done next year at one game to honor him.  On a 2nd and very important note, the Sabres have their established goaltender.  Finally.  Ben Bishop has been picked up by the Sabres.  I could care less about the contract stuff.  As long as he is ok, I would not consider him the starter unless something happens with Luukenen.  I would assume Luukenen is gone soon.  He was never going to be Hasek or Miller and not even Edwards or Sauve.  Now we do need a backup. But maybe Luukenen does stay to compete?  I doubt it. I hope Ullmark gets lit up like a Xmas tree in Boston next year.  They are going to have problems.  Fire a good coach, cap strapped and Hockey Guy thinks Bergeron might be gone. Back to my Sabres, to the other poster, I did not read his comment.  I do not even know if he is a Buffalo fan.  He named his post "Its Miller Time", NO, it was Miller time.  He will be honored.  I wish he was suiting up.  Now we must hope Bishop can have  a jump in his step in a new franchise. And that we can get our hands on a good FA this summer, a forward.  I think we are ok on defense right now as long as we get decent pay from the goalie. 

Luukkonen is your starter. Bishop is to mentor (if he is ever actually anywhere near the team--that's doubtful). You're still looking for a backup.  

 

Luukkonen is very good. Your posts hoping for people like Peterson (he's the kings future, he's going nowhere) and Biddington (he's not half of Luukkonen, he's jumped the shark) are mindbedoggling

 

Be patient. Goalies take time. Yours is finally here.

 

Btw,  Bishop won't play another minute in an NHL game. That was a paperwork trade.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Luukkonen is your starter. Bishop is to mentor (if he is ever actually anywhere near the team--that's doubtful). You're still looking for a backup.  

 

Luukkonen is very good. Your posts hoping for people like Peterson (he's the kings future, he's going nowhere) and Biddington (he's not half of Luukkonen, he's jumped the shark) are mindbedoggling

 

Be patient. Goalies take time. Yours is finally here.

 

Btw,  Bishop won't play another minute in an NHL game. That was a paperwork trade.

I just read Bishop may not be able to play again.  WHY in the hell would that numb nuts Adams pick up his salary then?????  Unreal!  I’m not so sure Luukenen is our goalie.  We shall see.  Binnington win the Cup that eluded the Blues for so long.  And they must pony up for Husso who is going to be their choice.  And Quick has the job in LA.  Give me Binnington or Peterson.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I just read Bishop may not be able to play again.  WHY in the hell would that numb nuts Adams pick up his salary then?????  Unreal!  I’m not so sure Luukenen is our goalie.  We shall see.  Binnington win the Cup that eluded the Blues for so long.  And they must pony up for Husso who is going to be their choice.  And Quick has the job in LA.  Give me Binnington or Peterson.  

You don't want Biddington. He's terrible.  Ken Dryden won a cup, too. You don't want him in your net.

 

Biddington has been progressively worse every single year since the Cup run. This year, if not for Husso, they simply don't make the playoffs with Biddington.  I don't think--could be wrong here--he's a change of scenery situation.  I don't know what St. Louis does. Jordan is signed for way too much money for far too long and has a NTC.  And Husso is a UFA.  But that doesn't have to be Buffalo's problem and they shouldn't volunteer to make it theirs.

 

Luukkonen is better.  If you're hell bent on a St. Louis goalie, sign Husso and use Luukkonen for a boatload in a trade.   I think that's a bad idea, though.  Husso will require a ransom and doesn't have the track record other than this year to justify what it will likely take to sign him.  And you have a cheaper, arguably better option already in Buffalo.  Buffalo should be decent this year but not quite contender. Let the goalie grow with the group.

 

Peterson is a good goalie.  I could see getting him as a 1B to ride along and push Luukkonen (I don't want Luukkonen playing much more than 45 games yet).   So him or a Georgiev or someone for that purpose isn't a terrible idea. But Peterson isn't going anywhere. I don't care what you read elsewhere.  He's signed for 3 more years with a modified NTC.     Quick is 36 and this coming season is the last on his contract.   The Kings are not surrendering their 27 year old 1B goalie on a manageable contract with their old goalie about to turn 37

 

 

Stick with Luukkonen.  He's very good 

  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You don't want Biddington. He's terrible.  Ken Dryden won a cup, too. You don't want him in your net.

 

Biddington has been progressively worse every single year since the Cup run. This year, if not for Husso, they simply don't make the playoffs with Biddington.  I don't think--could be wrong here--he's a change of scenery situation.  I don't know what St. Louis does. Jordan is signed for way too much money for far too long and has a NTC.  And Husso is a UFA.  But that doesn't have to be Buffalo's problem and they shouldn't volunteer to make it theirs.

 

 

And at $6M AAV? No thanks.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

First, I am happy for Miller, a celebration will be done next year at one game to honor him.  On a 2nd and very important note, the Sabres have their established goaltender.  Finally.  Ben Bishop has been picked up by the Sabres.  I could care less about the contract stuff.  As long as he is ok, I would not consider him the starter unless something happens with Luukenen.  I would assume Luukenen is gone soon.  He was never going to be Hasek or Miller and not even Edwards or Sauve.  Now we do need a backup. But maybe Luukenen does stay to compete?  I doubt it. I hope Ullmark gets lit up like a Xmas tree in Boston next year.  They are going to have problems.  Fire a good coach, cap strapped and Hockey Guy thinks Bergeron might be gone. Back to my Sabres, to the other poster, I did not read his comment.  I do not even know if he is a Buffalo fan.  He named his post "Its Miller Time", NO, it was Miller time.  He will be honored.  I wish he was suiting up.  Now we must hope Bishop can have  a jump in his step in a new franchise. And that we can get our hands on a good FA this summer, a forward.  I think we are ok on defense right now as long as we get decent pay from the goalie. 

It will be Miller time next year when they honor him rightfully by raising his number. I guess that is what I was referring to and also making a pun on the beer commercial at the same time. 

 

No, I am not a Sabres fan, but a hockey fan that definitely knows of the brilliant goaltending play of Ryan Miller. So you are also correct that it also Was Miller Time when he was playing in Buffalo. He was amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I just read Bishop may not be able to play again.  WHY in the hell would that numb nuts Adams pick up his salary then?

 

Bishop will not play.  There is no "may not" about it.  It's will not.  He announced his retirement.  He won't be well enough. Ever. It's sad, but that's the truth.

 

Buffalo traded for his salary to help them reach the cap FLOOR, which they're nowhere near.   They have a ton of people they need to sign, so they'll get there, and the Bishop salary will move to IR, but I believe not until the season starts (someone can correct that if it's not the case that it needs to wait until the season starts).

 

It says to me, though, that the sabres don't currently intend to be players in free agency.  Probably wise, but interesting that they did this now.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Adams still has work to do but he may wait to see what the Blues and Kings and a couple of other teams do.  They must pull the trigger on a goalie.   I don’t think the Kings and Blues can keep both.  No way.  I agree not Cup contenders of course.  But they certainly could be in the thick of a playoff seed race.  There will be at least a team or two that will drop off significantly in the East and I’ll call one right now.   BOSTON!!!!  Book it.  Bergeron will be gone and the stupid firing of Cassidy will come back to bite them.  The Sabres will have Powers to help on blue line.  Need a goalie to compete

 

Almost forgot.  Let’s Go Rangers!!!!!!

Edited by Hockey Junkie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Bishop will not play.  There is no "may not" about it.  It's will not.  He announced his retirement.  He won't be well enough. Ever. It's sad, but that's the truth.

Yeah, when I first read this and saw that the Sabres picked up Bishop, the first thought that came to my head is I thought he retired awhile ago and he was out of the game. 

 

I then read the your post and thanks for explaining why the Sabres would even think of doing something like this even though I still don't think it is the smartest thing. After this they still need another goaltender and as you stated they are still up against the wall with the cap even after this move. They also need to sign a lot of players as well. 

 

It just seems to me some extra baggage to sit around and do nothing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Hockey Junkie

Be happy HJ!
You got your goalie!
Big Ben will do for the Sabres what he helped do for the Lightning...turn them into a contender! :ph34r: 

No I am hearing he is finished and it’s a financial move?  According to some here?  If he was able to play I’d be glad to have him but doubt it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

BOSTON!!!!  Book it.  Bergeron will be gone and the stupid firing of Cassidy will come back to bite them.  The Sabres will have Powers to help on blue line.  Need a goalie to compete

 

Hey, you could always trade for Ullmark!

 

Swayman is good, and Ullmark is decent for a 1B.   Boston has a ton of issues, and goaltending shouldn't be one of them.   That said, I'm betting you're right and the Booins go for a goalie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

 

Hey, you could always trade for Ullmark!

 

Swayman is good, and Ullmark is decent for a 1B.   Boston has a ton of issues, and goaltending shouldn't be one of them.   That said, I'm betting you're right and the Booins go for a goalie.

Is Ullmark and UFA?  He is the same caliber as Marty Biron and the other one we had that backed up Miller.  He is not a top shelf rated number one goalie, Ullmark I mean.   Trade for that traitor?  Sure.  Cant wait to see Boston come crashing down.  The Rangers will be tough for a while.  But I am not completely sold on their goalie.  Florida?  Who knows. I believe Washington could also take a step backward.  Toronto will come back like hell unleashed.  I believe they would be my pick to come out of the East  Early pick.  Before we see any moves.  But there are likely to be many.  I hope my Sabres get a goalie that can play, unless there is more to this Bishop trade than we know?  Your boys have Risto at least.  And I really like him. Regardless of what many here  think of him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Is Ullmark and UFA?  He is the same caliber as Marty Biron and the other one we had that backed up Miller.  He is not a top shelf rated number one goalie, Ullmark I mean.   Trade for that traitor?  Sure.  Cant wait to see Boston come crashing down.  The Rangers will be tough for a while.  But I am not completely sold on their goalie.  Florida?  Who knows. I believe Washington could also take a step backward.  Toronto will come back like hell unleashed.  I believe they would be my pick to come out of the East  Early pick.  Before we see any moves.  But there are likely to be many.  I hope my Sabres get a goalie that can play, unless there is more to this Bishop trade than we know?  Your boys have Risto at least.  And I really like him. Regardless of what many here  think of him

There's nothing more to the Bishop trade. That was completely a paperwork, CAP floor thing. He quit hockey last December and his inquiry will never allow him to play. That's well-documented. No one traded for him because he's an option to play.   Even with his salary, buffalo is still well-below the salary floor.

 

No, Ullmark isn't a UFA.  I was just being goofy.  I think Marty Biron might be a fairly good comparison. Not in style of play but in terms of ability and role ceiling -- like you said.   I think that type might be what you need, but not Ullmark specifically.   Boston should stay with their two goalies, but I doubt they will.  There's some sheer idiocy going on in Boston right now.  I'm kind of with you on wanting to see them crash and burn.   Problem is, I expect they'll crash, burn, rebuild, and compete for a cup long before my team wakes from it's coma.

 

 

You can have Risto. I'll drive him there. He's terrible.  The funny thing is the idiotic narrative of "metrics vs eye test."  Supposedly, metrics people hate him and eye test people think he's great.  I understand the metrics only on a certain level, and even I agree he's terrible there.  But I'm mostly eye test. My opinion is the "eye test" people are either drunk or they're old AF, stuck in an era long-dead, and their eyesight marred by too much Molsen and too little insulin.  He's not good to the eye test, either. Not for me, anyway.  I really haven't the foggiest idea what the proverbial "hockey people" are seeing, but I think my suspicion/description of their condition is probably close to accurate.

 

 

Your team has improved without him. And without Yuckhel.  There's a reason for that.

 

Love talking hockey with you. Hope you're doing well.

 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Good Post 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2022 at 10:17 AM, ruxpin said:

There's nothing more to the Bishop trade. That was completely a paperwork, CAP floor thing. He quit hockey last December and his inquiry will never allow him to play. That's well-documented. No one traded for him because he's an option to play.   Even with his salary, buffalo is still well-below the salary floor.

 

No, Ullmark isn't a UFA.  I was just being goofy.  I think Marty Biron might be a fairly good comparison. Not in style of play but in terms of ability and role ceiling -- like you said.   I think that type might be what you need, but not Ullmark specifically.   Boston should stay with their two goalies, but I doubt they will.  There's some sheer idiocy going on in Boston right now.  I'm kind of with you on wanting to see them crash and burn.   Problem is, I expect they'll crash, burn, rebuild, and compete for a cup long before my team wakes from it's coma.

 

 

You can have Risto. I'll drive him there. He's terrible.  The funny thing is the idiotic narrative of "metrics vs eye test."  Supposedly, metrics people hate him and eye test people think he's great.  I understand the metrics only on a certain level, and even I agree he's terrible there.  But I'm mostly eye test. My opinion is the "eye test" people are either drunk or they're old AF, stuck in an era long-dead, and their eyesight marred by too much Molsen and too little insulin.  He's not good to the eye test, either. Not for me, anyway.  I really haven't the foggiest idea what the proverbial "hockey people" are seeing, but I think my suspicion/description of their condition is probably close to accurate.

 

 

Your team has improved without him. And without Yuckhel.  There's a reason for that.

 

Love talking hockey with you. Hope you're doing well.

 

Thanks.  You too.  This final has two teams I cant stand.  My money is on Colorado.  I think they are the best team this year.  Anyway, i have seen Risto at his best and he can be a force.  He is tough, can take out bodies, and he can rush the puck in the zone and score also.  He has all the tools to be great. I think his problems are mental ones. And is he coachable?  Not sure.  The Sabres must land a goalie and I think the Blues and Kings are teams that cannot keep both.   We will see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, Samifan said:


HJ jinx alive and well!  Please bet Tampa 😂

The only guy here that picked the contest correctly two years it was up and running.  I had Washington and the Blues.  Ill take Colorado to smash them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adams better be working on getting us a goalie.  The Blues and Kings cannot keep both Binnington and Husso and Quick and Peterson.  Someone will be available.  My guess is the Blues stick with Husso, and the Kings with Quick.  But who knows?  I just cannot see both staying. Not when they can start elsewhere.  Both teams have a shot to win.  I would say the Blues are still better than the Kings .  Id take Binnington. But it depends on the contract.  If we could get him or Peterson or Quick for a year, Id take it.  The 99 Sabres on paper were no better than this team that will take the ice this year.  Of course they had Hasek in goal. There are some other options out there I think at goalie.   Im just not sure of the specifics yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...