Kadri signs with Calgary. 7 years, 7 million a year

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

So johnny hockey, Tkachuk out, Kadri, Huberdeau and Weegar in.

Calgary came out of losing Gaudreau to UFA and T%kachuk not resigning quite well I must say.

On paper it seems that way strong down the middle a little suspect on the wings.

But their blueline looks stronger to boot.

So with this signing does this make Monohan expendable once he is off IR??

If not by the trade deadline i can't see them trying to bring him back as a over paid 3rd or 4th line center.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Monahan went to Montreal with a 1st to make this happen.

Damn i missed that just got home last i knew he was on IR. Well i guess that solves that.

Well this bumps this trade up to very damn good then regardless of the return i have never been a big fan of Monohan.

Too soft for my liking....i guess if i would have click Joe's link before posting i would have knew this.

So it should give them around 2 mill in cap space unless they pick up some salary.

Flames get rid of two soft playoff under performers seems a good move on the surface.

Maybe they aren't done.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
Another trade coming?
  • Like 1

Whoa!! Did not see this coming. 

This certainly bolsters the Flames down the middle as Kadri is a far superior offensive center than Calgary's former 2C in Mikael Backlund.  Kadri will assuredly start on the second line, likely paired with Coleman and Mangiapane.  On the flipside, though, Mangiapane may be shoved off the top PP unit now. They have Kadri, along with Huberdeau, Lindholm and Andersson. It leaves room for one forward and it'll come down to Mangiapane or Toffoli.

So how many points does score? Kadri had a career season at the age of 31 last year with Colorado, posting 87 points in 71 games.  Well reading up on some of his stats I see a couple of things. The first one is a career-high in secondary assist rate at 5-on-5. He had one season in his career over 0.5 second assists/60 minutes and it was in 2016-17 with Toronto. His mark of 0.62 put him inside the 88th percentile of regular forwards by this mark. Not that this will crash, but he could lose a handful of points through secondary helper regression alone.

Kadri also posted a nine-year high in individual points percentage (IPP), or the rate at which he garners a point when his team scores a goal at 5-on-5. He was at 80% in 2021-22, surpassing 78% in 2018-19 and 76% in 2016-17. Even just a small tick down to 75% could cost him a few more points via regression.

Then there is the PP.  He had 29 PPPs in 71 games as the team scored a massive 11.2 goals/60 when Kadri and Makar were on the ice for the man advantage. He had just 20 PPPs in his first 107 games with Colorado. He will be going to a Calgary team that had a good-not-great power play and lost a couple significant pieces (though he and newly acquired Huberdeau are excellent replacements). His assists gave him such a monster point total. His rate of 2.59 per 60 minutes at all strengths dwarfs the highest from his last nine seasons of 1.42 in 2018-19. That's what will happen when you play for a team that is great at scoring both at 5-on-5 and on the power play.

Finally there is the ice time.  Kadri skated over 19+ minutes/game last year.  The Flames highest ice time leader was Lindholm at 19 minutes.  Everyone else was below that mark.  Skating just 17-18 minutes a game could potentially drop his point total by a few points.

Last year he was on pace for 100 pts in 82 games. I doubt he repeats that pace.  I could see Kadri missing about 8-10 games do to various ailments.  Also Kadri has a SH% around 11%.  Even if he shoots 250 SOG, at 11% that gives him ~27-28 goals.  He usually has around 0.5 assists/game.  Assuming he plays 82 games at that would give him 42 assists. Realistically I see Kadri getting about 28 G / 42 A for 70 -75 pts for the upcoming season.  I just don't see him reaching his career highs like he did last year.

Don't get me werong, Kadri gives the Flames a great 2C to play behind Lindholm, who will help the team on the power play, and should still be really good for 2-3 more years. 

However,  at 7 million x 7 years is a lot of coin for a soon to be 32 yr old player. 

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, musky said:

Glad the isles did not waste the cash on him, he,s  overrated and had a good year because of a stacked team.

I gotta go with you on that. Plus the contract is like 2/3 years to long. He will be damn near 39 when the contract is up 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Automatic upgrade imo, i see a line shuffle coming of course, but i am ex-stat-ic, about this.

As you should be…. The Flames did a fantastic job this off season.  They should be very entertaining to watch over the course of the next 2-3 years….

Add in fantastic goaltending with Markstrom , there is no reason this team should not be in the Conference Finals.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, radoran said:

Monahan went to Montreal with a 1st to make this happen.

Holy Conditions Batman!    Did you see/read ALL the conditions regarding the trade of Monahan and the 1st Round pick ....

Need a damn attorney and law degree to figure this one out ......  :dizzysmiley-1:

It turns out that the conditions on that pick are insanely detailed.

They are as follows via the Habs press release:

1. In the event Calgary’s own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary’s own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida’s 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal’s option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida’s 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida’s 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida’s 2025 first (1st) round choice).

If Florida’s 2025 First Round Choice DOES NOT Transfer to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

3. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal’s option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A. If Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice, and additionally,
  1. If Florida’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results); and,
  2. Florida’s 2025 first (1st) round choice has been transferred to another NHL Club; and,
  3. Florida’s 2025 first round draft position is better than Calgary’s 2025 first round draft position; then Calgary will transfer their own 2025 fourth round choice to Montreal.
  • B. If Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary’s 2025 first (1st) round choice, subject to the following condition below:
  1. In the event Calgary’s 2025 first (1st) round choice is the first (1st) selection overall in the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Calgary will retain its own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Montreal shall instead receive Calgary’s own 2025 third (3rd) round choice and a conditional 2026 first (1st) round choice. Montreal shall receive the better of Calgary’s 2026 first (1st) round choice or Florida’s 2026 first (1st) round choice (following the determination of the 2026 NHL Draft lottery results) (previously conditionally acquired by Calgary).

Did everyone get!

reference making GIF

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

-Nazem Kadri is a very good hockey player, and I like his Give a ****/60, but at 32 years old, that contract will age like milk.

-Brad Treliving turned chicken sh|t into chicken salad this summer. He was dealt a pretty bad hand but came out of with good players.

-The Flames will be dangerous for the next 2-3 years, but they've given up a lot of age in these deals. The window is still open, but it's been significantly shortened.

-Sean Monahan says he's good to go and will be playing a full season at full health. I wonder how close he and Kadri (who scored far more than he ever had before and probably not a great bet to repeat) will be in points this year? If he truly has recovered, this is a massive get for Montreal and a very bad turn of events for Calgary.

-It will be interesting to see how Huberdeau and Kadri do. They're very good hockey players, but they also didn't do the heaviest lifting on their teams: for each of them, their portion of time against the toughest opposition was their lowest total. Huberdeau won't have Barkov and Kadri won't have MacKinnon giving them cover. Time will tell.

-I imagine that coach Sutter will love Nazem Kadri. His kind of player.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

-Nazem Kadri is a very good hockey player, and I like his Give a ****/60, but at 32 years old, that contract will age like milk.

-Brad Treliving turned chicken sh|t into chicken salad this summer. He was dealt a pretty bad hand but came out of with good players.

-The Flames will be dangerous for the next 2-3 years, but they've given up a lot of age in these deals. The window is still open, but it's been significantly shortened.

-Sean Monahan says he's good to go and will be playing a full season at full health. I wonder how close he and Kadri (who scored far more than he ever had before and probably not a great bet to repeat) will be in points this year? If he truly has recovered, this is a massive get for Montreal and a very bad turn of events for Calgary.

-It will be interesting to see how Huberdeau and Kadri do. They're very good hockey players, but they also didn't do the heaviest lifting on their teams: for each of them, their portion of time against the toughest opposition was their lowest total. Huberdeau won't have Barkov and Kadri won't have MacKinnon giving them cover. Time will tell.

-I imagine that coach Sutter will love Nazem Kadri. His kind of player.

The most important part is your last point about Kadri being the type Sutter wants to keep around just like Lucic and Lewis and Toffoli...now that most of the would be Calgary captains are gone that leaves room for Lucic to be assistants captain with Tanev and then Backlund the default captain since he being the longest serving Flame left...

2-4 year window then time for Treliving to work now magic...