2022-23 HF.net Sweet 16 Hall of Fame FHL - In Season Discussion Thread

pilldoc

For my part, i was looking for a third, strong goalie, so this doesn't work for me if I'm sending Kochetkov back.  

Yeah,, really a risk for TFG.

But risky for me too because I wasn't strong in scoring categories to begin with and also hurt myself in SOG and FWs.

Similar to TFG but opposite, I'm trying to be strong in goal and try to steal enough peripherals to survive. I've been okay in the standings but mostly smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Small trade between myself and @TropicalFruitGirl26

she adds a bit of scoring in Brock Boeser.

I add a third goalie in korpisalo.

very small deal possibly setting up a much larger one

Tried turning one of my many assorted goalie parts into a defenseman or winger.
Never was a huge fan of Korpisalo, and I picked him up when I traded Hellebuyck so I didn't end up with Andrew Hammond on my team :bigteeth: 
Regardless, Korpi has played well on a bad Columbus team, so if he continues that and ends up owning the net, you make out real nicely here.

Boeser, admittedly, is a bit one dimensional (goals, ppg, and shots...and that's it really), but oh what a dimension it is when he is right!
He has been hurt and not getting it done lately (has any other Vancouver Canuck been getting it done not named Bo Horvat??), but I accepted the trade based on thinning my goalie herd....and that Boeser may turn things around, at least personally, if not the team as a whole.

Also, he has been in rumor mills as a trade piece should Vancouver decide to blow things up.... a new start somewhere could be what he needs.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

@ruxpin gets

Draisatl, fleury, vatrano and Mayfield. The later two are waiver adds likely waiver drops 

Foil gets shesterkin, Aho, Bennett and provorov 

Rux has not been scoring. Draisatl by himself nearly outscores all three skaters he dealt. Fleury is a good number two or three which is where he slots on rux,s stacked goalies 

Provorov along with Martinez, trouba, pietrangelo, ekblad and gudas makes my team a mortal lock to always win blocks/hits. Aho/Bennett combined with what I have I will always win faceoffs and shots. Pims are close to a lock. Shester gives me brilliant netminding and if I split the scoring stats should win most weeks 13 to 4, I am undefeated thru 12 weeks and my team may not be better from the deal but it is absolutely deeper. In order for my team to actually lose a week my goalies would have to bomb and someone would have to score like crazy. Even then, starting every week with four or even five points in my pocket I might still be able to pull it off 

@ruxpin @yave1964

Just seen the deal coming down the pike from you guys. Big deal indeed!

But seriously... you guys should simply start number versioning your teams as the season moves along.|
That way, those of us who want to play along can keep up.... :bigteeth: 
Is ANYONE on your rosters the same at season's end as they were on draft day or even Week 1 or 2??? I think not.

Hell Bears 3.0, Puttin on the Foil 4.0...oh wait, minor trade... Hell Bears 4.2....oh wait, Rux was bored, made another trade just because... Hell Bears v4.2.1.5...and he traded with Foil, swapped rosters, so now it's Puttin on the Foil v4.2.1.5 and Hell Bears 4.0 Revision A. :ph34r: 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@ruxpin @yave1964

But seriously... you guys should simply start number versioning your teams as the season moves along.|
Is ANYONE on your rosters the same at season's end as they were on draft day or even Week 1 or 2??? I think not.

Hell Bears 3.0, Puttin on the Foil 4.0...oh wait, minor trade... Hell Bears 4.2....oh wait, Rux was bored, made another trade just because... Hell Bears v4.2.1.5...and he traded with Foil, swapped rosters, so now it's Puttin on the Foil v4.2.1.5 and Hell Bears 4.0 Revision A. :ph34r: 

lol.

All seriousness,  I believe that i have seven players remaining from my draft and two more whom i added in the first week, so for me, it is a very conservative season, lol. Partially because I had a solid draft and have done mor tinkering than wholesale changes, partially because some teams just dont trade as often.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

lol.

All seriousness,  I believe that i have seven players remaining from my draft and two more whom i added in the first week, so for me, it is a very conservative season, lol. Partially because I had a solid draft and have done mor tinkering than wholesale changes, partially because some teams just dont trade as often.

I have vastly less movement in this league than in NAHANA in terms of trades, but largely because I can't find a dance partner.   I add/drop a lot more here because I'm not worried about next season implications.  But somewhere along the line in the attempt to add a couple extra points at the end of weeks, I add/dropped myself into a pretty bad team in terms of skaters.

I hesitated on this trade because I had traded my way into a position of strength in goaltending and could at least compete in peripherals (although not against the stronger teams there--especially against Yave, but who can?).

Draisaitl was attractive but gvien my team the question was (and remains), "does he really move the needle in terms of competitiveness?"   The answer, in my estimation, is sadly "no."

But, at least I'll be vaguely entertained from here on out by having Draisaitl and two decent goalies and Fleury.

The outgoing players have been simply terrible over the past month.   Aho has been particularly disapointing, but really, the stats over the last 30-40 days are just bad across the board.   Yave described it as "depth," and that's accurate.   None are waiver material and Provorov at least adds to Yave's peripherals (like a cup of water adds to the ocean).  The point to this for him is ultimately the goalie, of course.   I was happy to get a goalie back in this because I really do want to run with three or I wouldn't have traded Point for Hellebuyck.

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@ruxpin @yave1964

Hell Bears 3.0, Puttin on the Foil 4.0...oh wait, minor trade... Hell Bears 4.2....oh wait, Rux was bored, made another trade just because... Hell Bears v4.2.1.5...and he traded with Foil, swapped rosters, so now it's Puttin on the Foil v4.2.1.5 and Hell Bears 4.0 Revision A.

I was highly entertained by this. Well done!

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I was highly entertained by this. Well done!

😄

Well, I'm not kidding....I need a program or a lineup card to keep up.
Sometimes, I am perusing rosters, and when I get to either you or Yave see a player that interests me, I have to stop and check... "wait...is that player even available? or is he pending somewhere??"  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

😄

Well, I'm not kidding....I need a program or a lineup card to keep up.
Sometimes, I am perusing rosters, and when I get to either you or Yave see a player that interests me, I have to stop and check... "wait...is that player even available? or is he pending somewhere??"  :rolleyes:

Yet i never see an offer

Latest deal

@Math receives Hischier

Foil receives Hyman and Karlsson

Hischier is a fantastic player who scores nearly a point a game and gets a crap ton of faceoffs. HATED to trade him but my last trade netted me Bennett and Aho, who along with Larkin and the soon to come off IR Jenner as well as Hischier only play centre. Five of them guys is too many, and i needed to balance my roster a bit. 

Karlsson gets me faceoffs from the wing partially offsetting the loss in that cat from losing Hischier. He is having a fine year scoring. Hyman is having a fantastic season, tons of power play points, point a game and mostly from my standpoint top ten in shots which is easily my weakest of the four peripheral categories. Karlsson is a LW/C and Hyman is a LW/RW which with the smaller roster is very, very important. 

Math adding Hischier to a stable of faceoffs guys is a nice get, and he communicated that he is among his favorite players which i absolutely get, i always get Tkachuk even if i have to overpay for him.

He got his favorite who fills needs and is having a great year, I got the exact depth that I felt my team needed dealing from my strength. Both are happy.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Latest deal

@Math receives Hischier

Foil receives Hyman and Karlsson

Hischier is a fantastic player who scores nearly a point a game and gets a crap ton of faceoffs. HATED to trade him but my last trade netted me Bennett and Aho, who along with Larkin and the soon to come off IR Jenner as well as Hischier only play centre. Five of them guys is too many, and i needed to balance my roster a bit. 

Karlsson gets me faceoffs from the wing partially offsetting the loss in that cat from losing Hischier. He is having a fine year scoring. Hyman is having a fantastic season, tons of power play points, point a game and mostly from my standpoint top ten in shots which is easily my weakest of the four peripheral categories. Karlsson is a LW/C and Hyman is a LW/RW which with the smaller roster is very, very important. 

Math adding Hischier to a stable of faceoffs guys is a nice get, and he communicated that he is among his favorite players which i absolutely get, i always get Tkachuk even if i have to overpay for him.

He got his favorite who fills needs and is having a great year, I got the exact depth that I felt my team needed dealing from my strength. Both are happy.

True story.

The notification from Yahoo about this trade just now came in AS I was reading this post.

While reading your post i was really trying to figure out how ERIK Karlsson was going to get you faceoffs. I realized on my own but it took way too long to remember the Knights Karlsson even exists.

Decent trade.

• Like 1

Absolutely well explained by @yave1964. We spent almost a whole day to build it and I also had some challenges in my team with some players being activated from IR, leading to tough decisions. Hyman is a rock on PP and playing with McDavid. I also love Karlsson but with Marchessault and Smith already in my team, I had the whole Vegas second line: so if that line sinks, they all sink so I needed a bit more diversity. Hischier is one of the most underrated player in the league and I was logically caught by the feelings with a homer.

Again, big thumbs up to @yave1964 for the explanation during the process. It's highly appeciated !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Math said:

Absolutely well explained by @yave1964. We spent almost a whole day to build it and I also had some challenges in my team with some players being activated from IR, leading to tough decisions. Hyman is a rock on PP and playing with McDavid. I also love Karlsson but with Marchessault and Smith already in my team, I had the whole Vegas second line: so if that line sinks, they all sink so I needed a bit more diversity. Hischier is one of the most underrated player in the league and I was logically caught by the feelings with a homer.

Again, big thumbs up to @yave1964 for the explanation during the process. It's highly appeciated !

Hey serious congrats on beating me 9-7 this week, my first loss of the season. Nobody has ever went an entire season undefeated (I came close in 2018 but @J0e Th0rnton ruined that for me. Feel free to ask him about that sometime, lol, it is one of his favorite stories) but seriously, I looked at your place in the standings and chose this week to make some needed adjustments to the team and figured I would skate through the week with an easy win and totally underestimated what you have done with your club, you have a dangerous lineup and I would not be at all surprised if I see you in the playoffs this year. Great job!!

• Like 2

Thanks, I feel like the Blackhawks having won in the Boston Garden. I was expecting to be molested but I have to admit, I was insanely lucky with my goaltending (I mean, a Gibson SO followed by a Columbus win vs. Carolina...) and all cats were damn close. It shows how important goaltending is and the road will remain bumpy all the way till the shinier spring days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Math said:

Thanks, I feel like the Blackhawks having won in the Boston Garden. I was expecting to be molested but I have to admit, I was insanely lucky with my goaltending (I mean, a Gibson SO followed by a Columbus win vs. Carolina...) and all cats were damn close. It shows how important goaltending is and the road will remain bumpy all the way till the shinier spring days.

I am hoping to add more bumps to your road!

Good luck in our match up this week!😁

On 1/9/2023 at 4:00 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I am hoping to add more bumps to your road!

Good luck in our match up this week!😁

Well, I benefitted from an unexpected offensive outburst but most cats were pretty damn close. Couldn't really hold your goalie line, especially with Andersen back on track. Mine are back to normal as you can see :lol:

image.png.2f163300a64bce70c7641328222fb906.png

Trade between myself and Yave.

Putting on the Foil receives Claude Giroux and Pavel Francouz

Sharknado receives Evander Kane and Jordan Kyrou.

I loathe Evander Kane as only a Sharks(Or Buffalo, or Winnipeg) fan can. But the man in a banger league is top notch because he does nothing but shoot and hit and take stupid penalties. He plays on McDavid's Powerplay and hovers near a PPG. Since he was on Yave's IR, yave won't even feel the loss and gets Giroux and handcuffs the Avalanche tandem. I had 3 guys with C/RW with the waiver pickup of Compher, so why not?

Carrying 4 goalies tends to meddle with stat compiling

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Math said:

Well, I benefitted from an unexpected offensive outburst but most cats were pretty damn close. Couldn't really hold your goalie line, especially with Andersen back on track. Mine are back to normal as you can see :lol:

image.png.2f163300a64bce70c7641328222fb906.png

Regardless of how it came about, congrats on your win for the week.
Your guys performed better than mine on the whole, bottom line.

I was close on many categories, and thought I could overtake, but that never happened.
Seemed whenever I got anything from my skaters, your guys saw that and raised.

Especially on the peripherals. I pride myself on my team being good in those areas, but your guys got it done there too!

If it weren't for my goalies (ironic...seeing as how goaltending has been problematic for me this season), you could have swept almost all the categories!

Again, sincere congrats on your win....I was not able to cause bumps in your road like I claimed! :) 

@TropicalFruitGirl26  As long as we are going towards spring, temperatures get milder, the permafrost will melt and all roads will fatally become nasty to ride on 😉

But yeah, it's also a matter of streaks and probability: You can put the best team in place, if Reaves decides to be as soft as sheep, if Kucherov is going for the home run in place of the wide open net and if Suter decides to try to skate backwards, then there's nothing you can do about it.

I just failed to put the right image in a matter of milliseconds. Reimer was supposed to have one goal allowed on zero shots, which lead to a GAA of Infinite (See the green background color that shows an actual improvement). Apparently that's what happens when you play against Chuck Norris, the guy who can score without taking any SOG.