John Gibson most overrated player in hockey today

John Gibson is rumored to be available as the Ducks are looking to make a move. Many around the league view Gibson as a victim of his circumstances, a great goalie trapped on a bad team who if he lands in the right situation will be the final piece to put a good team into the next bracket and perhaps lead them over the top.

To that I simply say bull sh!t. There is no player in the game who is more overrated Gibson. Period. Full stop. 

He is in a lot of ways a victim of the Carey Price phenomena, good looking guy high draft pick, articulate and an intelligent interview, moderate to high success early in his career. Everything pointed towards him becoming one of the best goalies in the game. Lazy reporters continue to state that he is often 'victimized by poor offense' but the truth is that he has simply become a bad goalie especially since signing an 8 year 51.2 million dollar deal in 2018-19. He was good, not great in his first year but since then he has went 49-76-24 with his save pct. down hovering around .900 every year and his goals against consistently in the low threes.  He simply is a below average goalie.

Last season he had one of the most embarrassing streaks of all time, from the beggining of February thru April 24th he went 21 straight games or in other words a full quarter of the season giving up at least 3 goals a game. I looked back thirty years and found no such streak during that time. Think about that, the pressure the offense had to be facing, their goalie gave up 3 goals OR MORE night in night out, literally month in and month out for nearly three months and as the losses mounted the team took much of the blame in the press while poor Gibson was given more or less a free pass.

Same thing this year already. He sits at 2-5-1 with a 4.23 goals against. During these 8 forgettable performances, he has given up 3 or more goals 7 times so he has not gotten better. 

He has 4 years remaining after this year at 6.4 million per, the Ducks undoubtedly would eat a portion of his cotnract in any deal and have a top flight prospect in Dostal chomping at the bit in the AHL. A team who feel they are a goalie away from contending,, Buffalo, Ottawa, the Devils or the crosstown Kings all could express interestand might even be suckered into giving up an asset in exchange for Gibson but buyer beware, this man is simply a fraud. He is a good looking articulate good interview pretending to be a winning caliber goalie. What he is at this point is a player stealing a paycheck, nothing more.

• Like 1

I agree. You can point out the rebuilding context, the youth, the fact that he has no defense in front of him but he can't steal games, or at least give his team a chance to win. And that's really disappointing. Every goalie faces at some point some bad streaks but they never last that long. And this season is even worse where the Ducks should have made some steps forward. I'm wondering what Verbeek will do because the first target is Eakins...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

John Gibson is rumored to be available as the Ducks are looking to make a move.

I bet they would - help make the tank complete.

But at 6.4 mill and 4 more years on that deal going to be hard to find a taker on that without sweetening the deal because as you say over rated by far.

Good luck with that. Ducks are stuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

John Gibson is rumored to be available as the Ducks are looking to make a move. Many around the league view Gibson as a victim of his circumstances, a great goalie trapped on a bad team who if he lands in the right situation will be the final piece to put a good team into the next bracket and perhaps lead them over the top.

To that I simply say bull sh!t. There is no player in the game who is more overrated Gibson. Period. Full stop. 

He is in a lot of ways a victim of the Carey Price phenomena, good looking guy high draft pick, articulate and an intelligent interview, moderate to high success early in his career. Everything pointed towards him becoming one of the best goalies in the game. Lazy reporters continue to state that he is often 'victimized by poor offense' but the truth is that he has simply become a bad goalie especially since signing an 8 year 51.2 million dollar deal in 2018-19. He was good, not great in his first year but since then he has went 49-76-24 with his save pct. down hovering around .900 every year and his goals against consistently in the low threes.  He simply is a below average goalie.

Last season he had one of the most embarrassing streaks of all time, from the beggining of February thru April 24th he went 21 straight games or in other words a full quarter of the season giving up at least 3 goals a game. I looked back thirty years and found no such streak during that time. Think about that, the pressure the offense had to be facing, their goalie gave up 3 goals OR MORE night in night out, literally month in and month out for nearly three months and as the losses mounted the team took much of the blame in the press while poor Gibson was given more or less a free pass.

Same thing this year already. He sits at 2-5-1 with a 4.23 goals against. During these 8 forgettable performances, he has given up 3 or more goals 7 times so he has not gotten better. 

He has 4 years remaining after this year at 6.4 million per, the Ducks undoubtedly would eat a portion of his cotnract in any deal and have a top flight prospect in Dostal chomping at the bit in the AHL. A team who feel they are a goalie away from contending,, Buffalo, Ottawa, the Devils or the crosstown Kings all could express interestand might even be suckered into giving up an asset in exchange for Gibson but buyer beware, this man is simply a fraud. He is a good looking articulate good interview pretending to be a winning caliber goalie. What he is at this point is a player stealing a paycheck, nothing more.

I personally disagree. I watch a lot of Ducks games and its not offense that fails him. Its the putrid defense and team defense.

but to each their own opinion lol

Granted We usually call him Mr October because he is known for strong starts where he makes 45 saves a game and wins games himself and this year he is having a bad start. A change in scenery would do him wonders.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I get the joke but honestly us Flyer fans ain't got much room to talk.

Just saying and I never even seen the "title years" in Philly.

:beer:

Perhaps...but at least the Flyers have the decency to be truly terrible at times, and at others, spoil their arch rival Penguins once in a while.
Meanwhile, the Leaves® and their fans believe they are championship material EVERY year, but can't seem to spoil anything come April/May except maybe bad meat. :ph34r: 

I think John Gibson would do WONDERS for their confidence though. 
When they bow out in the SECOND round this time :biggrin: 

26 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Perhaps...but at least the Flyers have the decency to be truly terrible at times, and at others, spoil their arch rival Penguins once in a while.
Meanwhile, the Leaves® and their fans believe they are championship material EVERY year, but can't seem to spoil anything come April/May except maybe bad meat. :ph34r: 

I think John Gibson would do WONDERS for their confidence though. 
When they bow out in the SECOND round this time :biggrin: 

They can't even afford Gibson unless they move out a lot of salary too.

And yeah I get it with the Laffs but all I have ever seen since following the Flyers is swept in 1997.

Sabotaged by Scott Steven in 2000 and so close but to beat up in 2004 and well beat by the guy who the Flyers should have ended up with in 2010.

But nah I'm not bitter at all. :63:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I get the joke but honestly us Flyer fans ain't got much room to talk.

Just saying and I never even seen the "title years" in Philly.

:beer:

The Leaves have never been to a Final in a league with more than six teams...

33 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Leaves have never been to a Final in a league with more than six teams...

Well when you put it that way (which I had never) it does sound pathetic.

And now makes more sense why everyone bust their balls.

I live in South Carolina. Have live here all my life except when I was stationed in Norfolk Virginia and never seen a Leaf fan except once.

Guess I feel more sorry for them.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone!!!
  • Like 1