Game 20: Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals; 11/23/22 @ 7:30, TNT

Howie58

Greetings:

The Caps are heavy favorites (-220) with a 91% win probability.  We are 3-8 against them over the last 11 games: 

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-washington-odds-november-23-2022-1702761 .  Both teams have weak records over the last 10.  https://www.cappertek.com/article.asp?a=flyers-vs-capitals-betting-odds-free-picks-and-predictions-11-23-2022-294536

The season will be at the 25% mark post-game.  Will we end Q1 on a positive note?  I wouldn't bet on it.  

Edited by Howie58

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 20: Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals; 11/23/22 @ 7:30, TNT
11 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Will we end Q1 on a positive note?  I wouldn't bet on it.  

I guess it depends on who you ask. Flyers' fans probably can't see much positive and even if they beat the Caps tonight I doubt that'll change. But Tortorella and his assistants may feel the season is progressing the way it should. He's said many times they're not concentrating on W/L it's more about auditioning players, trying to ID the guys who he wants long-term. Hopefully he's making progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

to ID the guys who he wants long-term. Hopefully he's making progress.

I hope so, too, but he's not the GM. He technically doesn't have control over who he wants long term.

What happens if he (rightly) doesn't think Ristolainen is a top tier defenceman? If Hayes isn't getting it done?

Does his evaluation top Fletch's? And, if so, why is Fletch even still here?

This organization spends so much time justifying it's actions it doesn't have time to actually run an effective hockey operation.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, radoran said:

I hope so, too, but he's not the GM. He technically doesn't have control over who he wants long term.

What happens if he (rightly) doesn't think Ristolainen is a top tier defenceman? If Hayes isn't getting it done?

This organization spends so much time justifying it's actions it doesn't have time to actually run an effective hockey operation.

Interesting....here's a bookie who says stay away from this battle of two dogs:

https://www.covers.com/nhl/flyers-vs-capitals-picks-predictions-november-23-2022

Neither team drives play.  His assessment of the Caps is interesting--an over-the-hill core plus injuries.  Maybe Torts inspires them to victory.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

I've been posting those same questions for awhile now, ever since Tortorella has been making it abundantly clear there will be roster changes going forward. Practically every presser he mentions that this year is all about auditioning.

Maybe for once past isn't prologue. Maybe Tortorella's personality is enough of a force that the suits actually listen to him. As I said that will mean taking pennies on the dollar for certain players - namely the 2 you mentioned.

All I can hope for is when push comes to shove, Tortorella vs Fletcher, that Tortorella wins and Fletcher gets the boot. If that happens maybe the Flyers will have the beginnings of a competitive team next year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

All I can hope for is when push comes to shove, Tortorella vs Fletcher, that Tortorella wins and Fletcher gets the boot. If that happens maybe the Flyers will have the beginnings of a competitive team next year.

I was hoping this two GMs ago...

Not at all saying you weren't.

There comes a point at which you stop believing the people who got into this mess can get out of it.

That's pretty much where I am.

Not at all saying you're not there too. Or not. Or anything about you 😃

I'm just hella frustrated and keep being sold the same bill of goods from the same snake oil salesman who got me 10 years ago and I'm not letting that happen.

Prove it on the ice or sit down and shut the hell up is where I'm at. I don't need no blockbuster trades or new coach or GM change or even putting Clarke and Holmgren out to pasture.

Prove it on the ice because in the NHL nothing else matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Prove it on the ice because in the NHL nothing else matters.

I share your frustration, the old “fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me” saying comes to mind, especially after they hired Fletcher, which only added insult to injury. They could not have designed a more complete opposite of Hextall if they tried. They wanted a Homer-clone and they got one.

The difference this time is Tortorella. He’s no stranger to battling with management. Granted it’s a big maybe but maybe the suits decide his vision, his roster changes are worth pursuing at the expense of Fletcher, who any fool can see has been a complete failure. 

I know it’s a slim reed to hang my hopes on but “maybe this time” is all I got. 

• Like 2

I listened to the 2nd and watched the third.  I had little faith we could hold onto a lead and sure enough, we coughed up a tying goal late on.  As for winning in OT....had a feeling Ovie would do it.  

You won't win many games going 42% in the faceoff circle or  0-4 on the PP:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-wsh/2022/11/23/2022020312/recap/stats#game=2022020312,game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=stats

From what little I saw, the guys were skating reasonably well.  But their shooting isn't challenging.  If nothing else Sandstrom played well.