Game 33: Columbus Blue Jackets at Philadelphia Flyers; 12/20/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

For the first time in ages, we are actually favored (-175).  But they have beaten us four out of the last five, including two games this year. 

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/columbus-philadelphia-odds-december-20-2022-1703756

The teams have very similar stats except for goals against--we are roughly 3/4 of a goal better:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cbj-vs-phi/2022/12/20/2022020510

With Toronto coming up in two nights, you'd reckon Hart would have the night off and Sandstrom starts.  If Felix doesn't, you wonder if Torts is either desperate to win or has given up on Felix.  That's particularly true given CBJ's 2-1 loss to Dallas the prior night. 

Edited by Howie58

Good win at home, good to see Tip-Frost-JVR (also Farabee) connecting for points. Hayes back in - on a line with MacEwen and Laughton - and Hayes looks like the worst skater of the 3 - no surprise there.

One of Konecny's best games for the Flyers ever. He's been on the PK this year and tonight he got his first shorty.

Good for Hart to get some goal support - esp in the 3rd - I'm sure he appreciated coming out with a W in regulation for once. No drama just a good clean win.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

We won the battle of the losers, so maybe that means we didn't win since it increases their chances at Bedard.................

I was slightly entertained though. I will admit that. 

My favorite teams at the bottom of the division. 

5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

We won the battle of the losers, so maybe that means we didn't win since it increases their chances at Bedard.................

I was slightly entertained though. I will admit that. 

Not sure how wining increases their chances of winning Bedard but it's early and I haven't had my coffee I'll try and reread later maybe I'll understand then.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure how wining increases their chances of winning Bedard but it's early and I haven't had my coffee I'll try and reread later maybe I'll understand then.

I think "their chances" referred to Columbus. But anyway I don't think java will help. The worst team gets ~20% shot at the #1. That's it, about 20%. Is finishing dead last so much better than finishing a few rungs above that? The way I see it 20% or 12% is not a huge difference.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think "their chances" referred to Columbus. But anyway I don't think java will help. The worst team gets ~20% shot at the #1. That's it, about 20%. Is finishing dead last so much better than finishing a few rungs above that? The way I see it 20% or 12% is not a huge difference.

On a good note, even if we are not in the bottom five right now,  once the trade deadline comes we can unload some guys like JVR and bench some veterans and let the young guys play to prepare for next season. Having the young guys in will give Torts a better idea of who to keep for next year.  Plenty of rookie mistakes can help us drop in the standings for a better pick too. I'd rather lose with rookie mistakes than with lazy veterans mistakes.  It looks like Torts is doing OK with the young guys. Frost, Tippett, Cates and York are all starting to play better under Torts. They can use the last 20 games as an extended training camp and give guys like Forrester , Brink, Attard, Zamula and Gauthier some NHL games. Maybe try and develop some chemistry and future line combos for next year. We need someone on LW to replace JVR , maybe Brink or Foerester on the on the off wing with Frost and Tippett who look good together. Gauthier can center Konecny and Farabee on the first line. You can move Cates to the third line. Hayes can be the locker room towel boy. I didn't mention Coots because,  I don't want him back. You dont bank on a 30 yr old with a bad back as your first line center.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I meant increases "their" chances of Bedard as in Columbus's. With every win the Flyers decrease their own chances, which are slim anyway as it's likely the Blackhawks, maybe the Ducks, but if it's rigged, the league would love it being the Hawks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

On a good note, even if we are not in the bottom five right now,  once the trade deadline comes we can unload some guys like JVR and bench some veterans and let the young guys play to prepare for next season. Having the young guys in will give Torts a better idea of who to keep for next year. 

That's the question for me. Will we? I certainly hope there is an unloading and I hope it's a lot of unloading, but with caps and how useless some of them are idk. 

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

That's the question for me. Will we? I certainly hope there is an unloading and I hope it's a lot of unloading, but with caps and how useless some of them are idk. 

I think JVR can get us a second round pick at the deadline. It’s an expiring contract so it won’t cost a lot of cap space to the team that trades for him at the deadline. I also think we can get a second back for DeAngelo, he only has one year left on his contract.  Toronto lost a top dman for the year,so there’s a potential trade partner. Braun might get you a fourth round pick, but he’s an UFA as is Charlie Brown ,so they won’t be back next year . Risto and Hayes are gonna be a problem, maybe Hayes will be so tired of Torts benching him that he will accept a trade anywhere just to get away from Torts. If there is any way to dump these two it would have to be in the off-season but it would probably cost assets and eating some cap space.   

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

but it would probably cost assets and eating some cap space.   

well if anyone can pull it off it’s Fletcher. He’s a tough negotiator…tough on the Flyers that is. 

Unfortunately the last guy on Earth to deal Hayes or Ristolainen is the genius who brought them in in the first place. He’s probably looking for more Hayes and Ristolainen types. The whole world knows neither one is worth a damn on the ice but there they are, suiting up in the O&B and laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, RonJeremy said:

I think JVR can get us a second round pick at the deadline. It’s an expiring contract so it won’t cost a lot of cap space to the team that trades for him at the deadline. I also think we can get a second back for DeAngelo, he only has one year left on his contract.  Toronto lost a top dman for the year,so there’s a potential trade partner. Braun might get you a fourth round pick, but he’s an UFA as is Charlie Brown ,so they won’t be back next year . Risto and Hayes are gonna be a problem, maybe Hayes will be so tired of Torts benching him that he will accept a trade anywhere just to get away from Torts. If there is any way to dump these two it would have to be in the off-season but it would probably cost assets and eating some cap space.   

I predict we get no more than a 3rd for JVR.

I doubt we trade DeAngelo since they traded for him but you never know. If they do trade him it'll be a sure sign that Torts has power over Fletcher. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I predict we get no more than a 3rd for JVR.

I doubt we trade DeAngelo since they traded for him but you never know. If they do trade him it'll be a sure sign that Torts has power over Fletcher. 

Whatever we get for JVR is a bonus.  DeAngelo has one year left after this and Attard is better defensively, so he can replace him and York can replace his offensive ability. So we really won't be needing him any more.  Of course I'd rather get rid of Risto but we are stuck with him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Whatever we get for JVR is a bonus.  DeAngelo has one year left after this and Attard is better defensively, so he can replace him and York can replace his offensive ability. So we really won't be needing him any more.  Of course I'd rather get rid of Risto but we are stuck with him.

Exactly. Anything the Flyers get for JVR is a win. He hasn’t been as completely useless this year as in year’s past. I assume that’s the Tortorella Effect. And TDA has been good enough for this roster since it’s not going anywhere anyway. If he’s still on the team next year it’ll be up to Attard or whoever to take his minutes. 

Ristolainen and Hayes are a problem that only time will solve I guess. Fletcher and Co. really stuck it to the Flyers with those contracts. 

If Hayes was willing to take a pay cut to go somewhere else, since no other GM is stupid enough to take that contract, are players allowed to do that? I imagine the NHLPA would chime in and block it if they can. I really don’t want to see the Flyers buy him out, it’s bad enough paying him while he’s here.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I don't disagree at all, but GMs almost never trade away a guy they traded for no matter how bad they are so the only way I see DeAngelo traded is if Fletcher is fired first. 

A new GM however, whoever he is, would be more than happy to ditch anyone associated with Fletcher's time. 

• Like 1

I suppose that’s only too true. Pride, ego or just plain stubbornness prevents a GM from looking too closely at his own. But even if Fletcher was to reconsider his trades nobody in the Western Hemisphere will take them off his hands.

The one difference for the Flyers this time is the HC is an outspoken PITA who’s constantly throwing digs at Fletcher in the media. So maybe…

• Like 1