Minnesota Wild vs Winnipeg Jets, Tuesday 4-11-23, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

I am so tired of all these intent to injure penalties not getting called. 
The NHL needs a penalty called intent to injure and give it a 5 minute major, game misconduct and a 1 game suspension. 
There’s a big difference between a cross check and what was done to jojo. 

• Good Post 2

7 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I am so tired of all these intent to injure penalties not getting called. 
The NHL needs a penalty called intent to injure and give it a 5 minute major, game misconduct and a 1 game suspension. 
There’s a big difference between a cross check and what was done to jojo. 

100% agree.

Here is Russo just published:

Michael Russo

@RussoHockey

If #mnwild play Dallas, they open on road. One more point by Colorado and the Wild would open on road regardless and be locked into 3. Steel hurt. Wild better pray Pionk didn’t break Johansson’s ribs.

And here is Joe Smith message:

Joe Smith

@JoeSmithNHL

16min.

No update on Johansson. Evason called it a “cheap” play. Steel was sick, why he didn’t play second half of game.

The Jets were near a grade A+ epic collapse a couple of weeks ago, have many key players who wants out from Winnipeg and a dinosaur coach who constantly throw players under the under the bus while taking absolutely no responsability about anything. And they still make the playoffs thank to a Calgary team who managed to be even worse in terms of coaching and personel management.

Bowness will have the exact same approach than last year with Stars: everything will be on the goalie's shoulders. If Hellebuyck falls under .960 SV% and over 1.20 GAA, the Jets will be toast.

• Like 1

And how many profoundly cheap damages they did in comparison to us against  Kaprizov last game and a previous one(who missed a month of play and cost him do not reach  50 goals mark this season according to his interview) as well as to evident slash on Boldy (cost a goal on our net right after) even with no penalty to Jets player. No team did so many damages to our team as Jets did in our history including playoffs.

37 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

And how many profoundly cheap damages they did in comparison to us against  Kaprizov last game and a previous one(who missed a month of play and cost him do not reach  50 goals mark this season according to his interview) as well as to evident slash on Boldy (cost a goal on our net right after) even with no penalty to Jets player. No team did so many damages to our team as Jets did in our history including playoffs.

You see where those arguments fall apart, of course. The Jets and their fans will say that the Pionk crosscheck was OK because it was in response to the Hartman hit.

The Kaprizov injury, I thought, was Logan Stanley falling clumsily on him and not dirty. Really unfortunate, but not dirty or predatory. But even then, let's say that I agree that it was a dirty and purposeful thing... Hartman's hit last night was still dirty. You may feel that it was a justified, but a justified dirty hit which got him a 1-game suspension.

It's OK to drop homerism from time to time. A couple of weeks ago, Connor McDavid hit Mikey Anderson from behind and Anderson had to leave for the rest of the game. I thought it was potentially dangerous and careless on McDavid's fault, but other Oilers fans were totally fine with it because with Anderson who slew-footed Draisaitl in the playoffs last year, causing his ankle injury he's only just recovering from.

It's never difficult to find justification for dirty hit, and depends mostly on the memory and creativity of the person who's making the argument. In isolation, I thought the Hartman hit was dirty and the Pionk crosscheck dirty as well.

I thought the Hartman hit was probably excessive, but not really “dirty”. 
Is Hartman just supposed to let a guy run him over? No. 
But he probably didn’t need to put as much into that reverse hit that he did. 
I think everyone can agree the Pionk hit was dirty. 
But it really comes down to the refs. If they would actually call the excessive stuff and not worry about how it affects the game, we wouldn’t have the retaliatory stuff. 
I feel sorry for the team that has to play them, as they will probably goon it up the way they did the last time the Wild faced them in round 1. 
A positive for whoever plays the winner as they will either be beaten up, or if the Jet’s win the refs will tighten up on them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

You see where those arguments fall apart, of course. The Jets and their fans will say that the Pionk crosscheck was OK because it was in response to the Hartman hit.

The Kaprizov injury, I thought, was Logan Stanley falling clumsily on him and not dirty. Really unfortunate, but not dirty or predatory. But even then, let's say that I agree that it was a dirty and purposeful thing... Hartman's hit last night was still dirty. You may feel that it was a justified, but a justified dirty hit which got him a 1-game suspension.

It's OK to drop homerism from time to time. A couple of weeks ago, Connor McDavid hit Mikey Anderson from behind and Anderson had to leave for the rest of the game. I thought it was potentially dangerous and careless on McDavid's fault, but other Oilers fans were totally fine with it because with Anderson who slew-footed Draisaitl in the playoffs last year, causing his ankle injury he's only just recovering from.

It's never difficult to find justification for dirty hit, and depends mostly on the memory and creativity of the person who's making the argument. In isolation, I thought the Hartman hit was dirty and the Pionk crosscheck dirty as well.

Did I say that Hartman hit was not dirty in my previous message? I asked how many dirty hits Jets did in comparison to our team? We had 1 but Jets did 3 last game: against Kaprizov(stick to the face); against Boldy( slash); against Johansson (crosscheck into ribs). Against Kaprizov a month ago it was intentional but not unfortunate from the different views. Logan Stanley was even afraid to play last night because would be beaten badly. I even not said how many damages Jets did to our team during the 1st round of playoffs few seasons ago by the help of blind referees.

Anyway, hope we would see less injuries during playoffs this season. Do you think Oilers will get 1st place in our Conference? Then they have a chance to play against Jets.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Did I say that Hartman hit was not dirty in my previous message? I asked how many dirty hits Jets did in comparison to our team? We had 1 but Jets did 3 last game: against Kaprizov(stick to the face); against Boldy( slash); against Johansson (crosscheck into ribs). Against Kaprizov a month ago it was intentional but not unfortunate from the different views. Logan Stanley was even afraid to play last night because would be beaten badly. I even not said how many damages Jets did to our team during the 1st round of playoffs few seasons ago by the help of blind referees.

All very fair points.

41 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Anyway, hope we would see less injuries during playoffs this season. Do you think Oilers will get 1st place in our Conference? Then they have a chance to play against Jets.

It could happen. The Oilers play the Sharks and are likely to win, while Vegas plays Seattle. If a combination of an Oilers win and Vegas loss happens, Edmonton goes over Vegas on the tiebreaker. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Re: Winnipeg. The team has had its struggles for awhile, but I do not like playing against like Hellebuyck, who can win a series all on their own. In 2021, he pitched a .950 SV% against the Oilers, winning 3 overtime games in a row for the sweep. Edmonton is much deeper now, but I still always get nervous about matchups with goalies who dragged their team into the playoffs.

For what it's worth, I think the Wild are built ideally for the playoffs, and have been playing that style of game since the first puck drop in October.

• Like 1

I agree. Oilers is more deeper team this season. I am always impressed of your Captain - unique player McDavid, for sure candidate for Hall of Fame. 6 seasons already is producing more than 100 points per season; more than 150 points this season; more than 60 goals this season. Outstanding stats in NHL history.

• Like 1