Round 1, Game 6: Minnesota Wild vs Dallas Stars, 8:30pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

Michael Russo on injury reports:

@RussoHockey

Gaudreau will need surgery for an abdominal issue that’s been going on for 4 months, Guerin says. Zuccarello had a groin injury. 

Eriksson Ek confirms our report that he had surgery after Game 3 for a broken fibula.

Ryan Hartman was playing with a knee injury sustained in overtime of Game 1. As of now, he says, he doesn’t need surgery. Will know later this offseason.

Kaprizov says he knows he didn’t look his normal self in the playoffs, but he said it’s because he missed a month and couldn’t get in a rhythm. He said his injury was completely healed and he felt fine health-wise.

• Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Michael Russo on injury reports:

@RussoHockey

Gaudreau will need surgery for an abdominal issue that’s been going on for 4 months, Guerin says. Zuccarello had a groin injury. 

Eriksson Ek confirms our report that he had surgery after Game 3 for a broken fibula.

Ryan Hartman was playing with a knee injury sustained in overtime of Game 1. As of now, he says, he doesn’t need surgery. Will know later this offseason.

Kaprizov says he knows he didn’t look his normal self in the playoffs, but he said it’s because he missed a month and couldn’t get in a rhythm. He said his injury was completely healed and he felt fine health-wise.

I heard all that too on the BG/DE interview today. :(
How was Ek's Fibula not figured out before "testing" it in gm 3 ?? 🤔

Watched NJD/NYR 3rd period. Pretty impressed with how the young Devils team didn't sit back on a 2 goal lead. They still move the puck up through the neutral zone when able and not just dump it out of their zone like 'some' teams. 😏
I'm hoping the Wild take a page from the Devils and with the upcoming youth and have a new look to their game.
Also shows that loading up with older big name signings like Taresenko, Kane, Doesn't always work out so well.

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Just watching any of those clubs that stretched their series to a game 7, there was way more hustle, want to, urgency.  But Bill Guerin stood at the podium and tried to call this season a success.  And sadly, I've seen a lot of fans buy that sentiment; hook, line and sinker.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Just watching any of those clubs that stretched their series to a game 7, there was way more hustle, want to, urgency.  But Bill Guerin stood at the podium and tried to call this season a success.  And sadly, I've seen a lot of fans buy that sentiment; hook, line and sinker.  

IMO This season can be called a success if, and only if, the Wild were able to identify which players are really going to go forward to help win a cup. 
Which prospects are truly going to pay off and which need to be moved to make room. 
If they can’t learn from the mistakes of this year and identify HOW to improve their weaknesses it should be considered a failure. 

• Good Post 1

IMO success is relative. It depends what the bar was set at the beginning of the season. If the bar was to make the Playoffs, then it was a success. If the goal was to emulate last years points record, it could more or less be considered a success (113 vs 103 points). If the bar was to get past the first round of the Playoffs, then it was a failure.

Depends on what BG goals what were at the beginning of the season.

But if the team is going to be cap hamstrung for the next two seasons, my preference would be for them to give more time to prospects and see what happens. But the team has steadfastly refused to rebuild, continuing to believe that once they make the Playoffs, anything can happen. So I don't foresee much change in the future, if any...

• Like 1

This whole focusing on the terms 'Success/Failure' is a bit out of hand.
For some, If you lose in the SC Finals, The season's a failure. Others it's not even making the PO's. 
A whole bunch of grey zone in between.
We thought 2003-4 was an awesome season, But guess what, Still a failure by today's standards and media. 

I saw the successes as seeing various players and their skills emerge. Gustavsson, and even small sample of Faber and earlier Walker.
A few of the mid season signing turned out decent.
Special teams improved a bit from prior year, Not that hard to do, But disappeared in the PO's.

Would it have made it any better if ... A: The Wild got a few lucky bounces and stole the series from Dallas and then get swept in rd 2? We got past the 1st rd tho.
Or B: The Wild Played very well and dominated Dallas only to run into a hot goalie in rd 2 and lose.
Would either of those be considered a success then?

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

IMO success is relative. It depends what the bar was set at the beginning of the season. If the bar was to make the Playoffs, then it was a success. If the goal was to emulate last years points record, it could more or less be considered a success (113 vs 103 points). If the bar was to get past the first round of the Playoffs, then it was a failure.

Depends on what BG goals what were at the beginning of the season.

But if the team is going to be cap hamstrung for the next two seasons, my preference would be for them to give more time to prospects and see what happens. But the team has steadfastly refused to rebuild, continuing to believe that once they make the Playoffs, anything can happen. So I don't foresee much change in the future, if any...

Agree, This time they're pretty much forced into it. Now is the perfect time to work on a young core and with knowing in 2 years you'll have the $$ to do way more things to fill needs.

Agreed with the swept in round 2 take. I think BG was trying to express that but put it out there in the wrong way. 
Fleury expressed the same sentiment. Losing in rd2 will hurt just the same as rd1. 

6 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Agreed with the swept in round 2 take. I think BG was trying to express that but put it out there in the wrong way. 
Fleury expressed the same sentiment. Losing in rd2 will hurt just the same as rd1. 

So basically Stanley Cup or bust?

10 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Or maybe realize that no matter when they lose it will hurt. 
Which hurts more, losing in rd 1 or getting so close that you think you’ve made it and then lose?

Not defending the rd 1 loss, just being open to different points of view. 

13 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Well that is every teams goal before the season starts. Some more realistic than others. Unfortunately the Wild are a long ways from that yet 

Yes being a legitimate long term contender is a long way off. 
The idea of get in the playoffs and anything can happen really is a long shot that shouldn’t really be taken seriously. 

• Like 1

If the goal is Stanley Cup or bust...then we've been an epic failure.  We've only been to the conference finals once in its existence and that was 20 years ago.  

This team still hasn't shown an ability to draft or develop centers and like @IllaZilla its never just run with the kids and been willing to be bad in order to draft those franchise changers and instead tried some middle of the road approach which accomplishes nothing.  You're too good to get the franchise changers and you're not nearly good enough to win it all.  

Its purgatory until they realize that most teams paid the price (i.e. by being bad) in order to be good.  Sure it isn't guaranteed but doing what this organization has done the last 20 years has insured it to be in above average mediocrity even if you can call it that.  

For the regular season was a success crowd, why?  A lot of teams were tanking to try to get Bedard or Fantilii, it was easier to even be above average because clubs were trying to stay near the bottom.  Still they had a chance to advance to the 2nd round, but the pis%ed away like they do most of their opportunities and then wonder why when you look over and see other teams doing all of the little things the Wild are unwilling to do (crash the net, kill penalties, grind for ugly goals, star players leading the way like star players).  

• Like 1

I am still thinking that Dallas team was a beatable team for us. Then we should be playing against Kraken now which is also a beatable team. We had a real chance to pass 2 rounds this season. But team didn't put enough efforts to produce well in a last 3(three) games of the round#1. 3 goals in 3 games. Especially the last 2 games didn't look for us like a playoffs games but a regular season games when we didn't show a lot of success against Dallas then during the regular season(we had only 2 SO wins). Maybe the team was not prepared well mentally and physically for the long run?

Just want to say I always enjoy chatting with you guys especially during games. Had some interesting conversations that didn’t involve hockey. What I’d really like is if someday we could meet up for a day or evening so we could put a face to the poster. I know a long shot but if possible I think it would be fun. I know a couple of us are in their 60’s so aside from hockey in common we have that in common too. Anyhoo have yourselves a great safe summer, I am

off to my cabin for a couple days. Cheers 

• Good Post 1

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am still thinking that Dallas team was a beatable team for us. Then we should be playing against Kraken now which is also a beatable team. We had a real chance to pass 2 rounds this season. But team didn't put enough efforts to produce well in a last 3(three) games of the round#1. 3 goals in 3 games. Especially the last 2 games didn't look for us like a playoffs games but a regular season games when we didn't show a lot of success against Dallas then during the regular season(we had only 2 SO wins). Maybe the team was not prepared well mentally and physically for the long run?

Watching the Stars-Kraken and while it's going the same as our series, The big difference is the Kraken don't wilt after getting down or losing a game.
Kraken also have netted 10 goals on Oettenger in the last 2. The Krak are putting in 60 minutes of effort while we didn't.
I was really hoping to face the Kraken as it looked like it would  be a fun series of enjoyable Hockey.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, ClusterChuck said:

Watching the Stars-Kraken and while it's going the same as our series, The big difference is the Kraken don't wilt after getting down or losing a game.
Kraken also have netted 10 goals on Oettenger in the last 2. The Krak are putting in 60 minutes of effort while we didn't.
I was really hoping to face the Kraken as it looked like it would  be a fun series of enjoyable Hockey.

Exactly why I’m getting to be a big Kracken fan. The effort is there whether up by 3 or down by 3 

• Like 1

While this series has the same scenario as the Stars-Wild one (game #1 in OT, game #2 convincing Stars win, game #3 blowout Kraken win, game #4 tight game despite an early Stars lead), the style of play is completely different. The Kraken apply a relentless and constant forecheck, they attack and defend with five guys and have a system that rely a lot on Seattle's speed with long vertical passes used indistinctly by their four equal lines. If they are perfect, it leads to a 7-2 win like in game #3, if they lack a bit of execution, it ends in a significant loss. It's either all or nothing and they are a true pain in the arse to play against. They didn't steal anything by kicking out the Avs.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

20 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Exactly why I’m getting to be a big Kracken fan. The effort is there whether up by 3 or down by 3 

Ugh, Doesn't look good for the Kracks now. I watched around the first period when the were outshooting the Stars 12-4 yet down 2-0.
They might win gm 6 at home but Oettenger's record after a loss is a crazy # like 20-1-3.

Then I saw a disturbing stat...
Current active player's most games played without a Cup.
1. Ryan Suter
2. Brent Burns
3. Joe Pavelski 
This alone screams this is their chance this year with the big bad Bruins out and Joe is well deserved, Ryan? Not so much. :P
If the Stars move on, It'll be hard for me to even watch  (Sorry Math) 😁
Unless they get down 3 game to 1 or at least 2-0.
Now I think I want to see the Oilers beat VGK and get to the finals so a Canadian team can have a shot despite Bettman's wishes.

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

1. Ryan Suter
2. Brent Burns
3. Joe Pavelski 

LOL I saw that too during the game and I chuckled when I noticed Suter in first place. At least Burns and Pavelski had a shot when they reach the final but Suter never went past the second round.

Even more tragically, I have to admit that Suter is not playing that bad in the playoffs so far. He was greatly replaced by Hakanpää for the Stars' worst Dman.

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Ugh, Doesn't look good for the Kracks now. I watched around the first period when the were outshooting the Stars 12-4 yet down 2-0.
They might win gm 6 at home but Oettenger's record after a loss is a crazy # like 20-1-3.

1. Ryan Suter
2. Brent Burns
3. Joe Pavelski 
This alone screams this is their chance this year with the big bad Bruins out and Joe is well deserved, Ryan? Not so much. :P
If the Stars move on, It'll be hard for me to even watch  (Sorry Math) 😁
Unless they get down 3 game to 1 or at least 2-0.
Now I think I want to see the Oilers beat VGK and get to the finals so a Canadian team can have a shot despite Bettman's wishes.

Just imagine if two Canadian teams(Oilers and Leafs) will reach finals despite Bettman's wishes. 😀

Actually 38 y.o., round 7 draft; 205 overall Joe Pavelski reached Stanley Cup finals 2 times(2016 with Sharks(14 goals) and 2020 with Stars(13 goals)), which is very impressive record already. This season he already has 7 goals in 6 played games. Some games he missed because of collision with our Dumba.

• Like 1

One Canadian team(Oilers) is still remaining, and one (Leafs) is gone already. Why I stay more for Oilers? That team has a none stop motivation/ an outstanding stamina which we(Wild) do not have for decades during playoffs time. Our energy was usually enough for 3-4 games of the round #1 and that was it. Then a complete lack of energy to show some special an outstanding play; lack to play entire 60 min. per game; an absolute lack of interest to finish with a win in front of our fans especially during a crucial game #5. Referees or not referees mistakes, goalies soft goals should not be a real barrier for the extremely motivated team for the win capable to place 6-8 goals. Recent examples for us were playoffs this season against Dallas and last season against St. Louis. I am still thinking if Fleury will not play game#2(we badly loss 3:7 that game) then our motivation would be better?, but I still doubt. We do not have a long run playoffs stamina for the team. Short run stamina is just a joke for the playoffs team which was able persistently to get into playoffs for decades and not able to pass round#1. Why I am also stay for Oilers? Because of Connor McDavid who is not only a star player but he is a genius player which is rare combined trait. Definitely this player is a Hall of Fame solid candidate.

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

One Canadian team(Oilers) is still remaining, and one (Leafs) is gone already. Why I stay more for Oilers? That team has a none stop motivation/ an outstanding stamina which we(Wild) do not have for decades during playoffs time. Our energy was usually enough for 3-4 games of the round #1 and that was it. Then a complete lack of energy to show some special an outstanding play; lack to play entire 60 min. per game; an absolute lack of interest to finish with a win in front of our fans especially during a crucial game #5. Referees or not referees mistakes, goalies soft goals should not be a real barrier for the extremely motivated team for the win capable to place 6-8 goals. Recent examples for us were playoffs this season against Dallas and last season against St. Louis. I am still thinking if Fleury will not play game#2(we badly loss 3:7 that game) then our motivation would be better?, but I still doubt. We do not have a long run playoffs stamina for the team. Short run stamina is just a joke for the playoffs team which was able persistently to get into playoffs for decades and not able to pass round#1. Why I am also stay for Oilers? Because of Connor McDavid who is not only a star player but he is a genius player which is rare combined trait. Definitely this player is a Hall of Fame solid candidate.

I really don't think it mattered who started game 2. Dallas wasn't going to go down 2-0 at home. And Oettenger has continued to live up to his record of winning after a loss. Crazy # like 20+-1-3 now.
The Oilers like now the Kraken have a tough task and even tho I wanted to see maybe a VGK-Kraken series, I now want to at least see the Oilers take on Dallas if that comes about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

I really don't think it mattered who started game 2. Dallas wasn't going to go down 2-0 at home. And Oettenger has continued to live up to his record of winning after a loss. Crazy # like 20+-1-3 now.
The Oilers like now the Kraken have a tough task and even tho I wanted to see maybe a VGK-Kraken series, I now want to at least see the Oilers take on Dallas if that comes about.

Me too. I also really do not want to see series between Vegas vs Kraken who both started recently as an expansion teams their NHL professional journey. Vegas already reached Cup finals during their 1st year in NHL  in 2018, but lost to Capitals.  Kraken during their 2nd year in NHL passed round#1 of playoffs this season by beating a top Avalanche team , who was a previous year a Cup winner . We didn't have this success long 23 years ago at the initiation of our team. 

Edited by Alexandron

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Me too. I also really do not want to see series between Vegas vs Kraken who both started recently as an expansion teams their NHL professional journey. Vegas already reached Cup finals during their 1st year in NHL  in 2018, but lost to Capitals.  Kraken during their 2nd year in NHL passed round#1 of playoffs this season by beating a top Avalanche team , who was a previous year a Cup winner . We didn't have this success long 23 years ago at the initiation of our team. 

Kraken came to play tonight. Maybe an upset in the making. 😎

13 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Kraken came to play tonight. Maybe an upset in the making. 😎

Oof, tough game especially from the vets (except Pavelski). Hakanpää and Lindell are brutal the whole series and combined for a -7 with gigatons of turnovers. Öttinger being ordinary as well. It was a desperate game for the Kraken and they played exactly like game #3.

I'm cautiously optimistic for game #7 because Öttinger always rebounds well after a loss and Hakanpää/Lindell can't be any worse. I'm strill worried about the overall lack of depth, especially on D.