NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Dallas wins series 4-3)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Stars sweep in 4
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 7*
    • Kracken sweep in 4
    • Kracken in 5
    • Kracken in 6
    • Kracken in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Seattle leads series at 2-1)

When Kartye opted with the home run attempt instead of the goal and hit Heiskanen, I knew that something might have been broken on every aspects. And then Öttinger became Öëttïngër and there we go. I'm still positive because the Stars were in the exact same spot vs. the Wild after an ugly game #3 and Öttinger is 20-1 after a loss. On the other hand, Robertson is still a ghost - in fact the whole first line is invisible, the two pylons Häkänpää and Lïndëll are brutal in the whole series so far and the depth is really taking a toll on this team.

The Kraken is doing hell of a damage with its relentless forecheck and vertical plays that are putting misery on the slow and not mobile Stars defense. DeBoer really need to put Pavelski back on the first unit and send Häkänpää in the press box. It's just not working against that fast Kraken team.

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Series tied at 3-3)

I wouldn't say he was bad, but he was mostly let down by his defense the Lïndëll/Häkänpää pair who has been atrocious this series, but especially this game. It was a desperate game for the Kraken and they played like game #3 while scoring on key moments. It was a good decision to pull him out not because he was bad, but also to shake things (and IMO it was the sign of the white towel).

The Stars are really struggling against those type of deep teams with fast skaters that rely on a strong relentless forecheck. While I'm concerned about the overall Stars lack of depth, especially on D, I'm cautiously optimistic for game #7 because Öttinger always rebound well after a loss, and because our two pylons can't be any worse. They really need to stop staying in the locker room in first periods (a dangerous trend so far) and the game #7 outcome will be directly dependent on the tenure of Dumb and Dumber.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Oettinger struggles again as the Kracken take it to Game 7

Kracken, Crackin’, whatever…crazy team name, deserves a revamp of the Monty Python sketch:

<John Cleese walking down stadium aisle with huge multi-eyed squiddish thingie on the tray suspended by shoulder straps>

Kraken!  Kraken!!

Fan in stands:  What is it?

It’s a bloody sea creature, bleedin’ squid-like thing.  Kraken!!

Do it come wiff biscuity wafers?

No it don’t come wiff no f&$@ing wafers, bloody cephelapod ‘orror show…KRAKEN!!!!

I’ll take two, please.

I only got one, mate, KRAKEN!!!!!!!!

So for game seven, there’s how Oettinger plays in net for Dallas, sure.   There’s also whether Seattle gets Grubauer, or Macgrubauer…

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Math said:

I wouldn't say he was bad, but he was mostly let down by his defense the Lïndëll/Häkänpää pair who has been atrocious this series, but especially this game. It was a desperate game for the Kraken and they played like game #3 while scoring on key moments. It was a good decision to pull him out not because he was bad, but also to shake things (and IMO it was the sign of the white towel).

The Stars are really struggling against those type of deep teams with fast skaters that rely on a strong relentless forecheck. While I'm concerned about the overall Stars lack of depth, especially on D, I'm cautiously optimistic for game #7 because Öttinger always rebound well after a loss, and because our two pylons can't be any worse. They really need to stop staying in the locker room in first periods (a dangerous trend so far) and the game #7 outcome will be directly dependent on the tenure of Dumb and Dumber.

The pressure is in Dallas.  They are expected to win this series.  I look at the Kracken line pan Swartz, the former Blue is the “star” player on this team on paper.  I see former Sabres pick Borgen who they acquired in entry draft.  Not many “names” but Dallas out side of Sequin, Benn are not exactly loaded.  I can see Seattle pulling this off but Grabaur must be good.  I would love to see Seattle win but no matter, quite a season and so far hockey is a success in Seattle.

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Not many “names” but Dallas out side of Sequin, Benn are not exactly loaded.

Just stop already already (SMH) .... Jason Robertson (23) is an exception star who was draft #39 overall (2nd RD) plays on the 1st line.

image.png.ca107db5b35cacccaba55a6d43844c13.png

Roope Hintz is just 3 years older and is another star draft #49 overall (2nd RD) also is a star on the 1st line.

image.png.ac6f452cfea84e9d275c9f1c13266186.png

Lest we forget about Miro Heiskanen (D) -(who I wanted the Flyers to draft) is a top line D-man.

image.png.4294c0e63d98c3aaf73616cfbc54acbc.png

Dallas was 3rd in the League with 3.75 Goals/game ....(only trailing Boston 3.86 and Edm 3.82)  Don't let yourself be fooled.  This team can score.

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Not many “names” but Dallas out side of Sequin, Benn are not exactly loaded.

Do you even watch hockey?  You say some of the most utterly asinine things. They had decent seasons, but Benn nor Sequin are their best player. Neither are even on their top line.  2015 called. It wants your hockey knowledge back.

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Just stop already already (SMH) .... Jason Robertson (23) is an exception star who was draft #39 overall (2nd RD) plays on the 1st line.

image.png.ca107db5b35cacccaba55a6d43844c13.png

Roope Hintz is just 3 years older and is another star draft #49 overall (2nd RD) also is a star on the 1st line.

image.png.ac6f452cfea84e9d275c9f1c13266186.png

Lest we forget about Miro Heiskanen (D) -(who I wanted the Flyers to draft) is a top line D-man.

image.png.4294c0e63d98c3aaf73616cfbc54acbc.png

Dallas was 3rd in the League with 3.75 Goals/game ....(only trailing Boston 3.86 and Edm 3.82)  Don't let yourself be fooled.  This team can score.

I posted before seeing this.  It's simply astounding. 

In other news, it's amazing the Oilers are still in it. Other than RNH and Evander Kane and Campbell, there's really not much to see there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Other than RNH and Evander Kane and Campbell, there's really not much to see there.

LOL ..... we really need a sarcasm font. :) 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 1:30 PM, pilldoc said:

LOL ..... we really need a sarcasm font. :) 

Wyatt frigging Johnston????

Someone explain to me how this kid went 23rd in the 2021 (Flyers didn't have a 1st I know shocker) and he comes in and puts up 24 goals 41 points as a 20 year old and no one I ever remember ever uttered his name before this year?

Now I admit I have fallen off my scouting since covid happened but damn kid seems like a steal at 23.

An anomaly? Guess we'll see.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Who needs first round draft picks?
  • Like 1

Nearly one of the greatest Game Seven comebacks ever.  The Kraken took the shot from the point through a maze of bodies in the last 10 seconds, which is often a decent scoring chance.

Unfortunately for them it didn’t go in.  Otherwise to have scored twice in the final 20 seconds, and then a roughly 50/50 chance to win in OT, surely would rank the game in the Most Unlikely Hall of Fame.  (Like the Kings over Oilers “Miracle on Manchester” from 41 years ago.)

Alas…but congrats to the Never-Say-Die Kraken for giving the Near Impossible a realistic go at the very end.

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Dallas wins series 4-3)
  • pilldoc unpinned this topic

Well, I lost one year of life expectancy after that game #7. Overall, the Stars deserved the win: they had the highest scoring chances, were the most dangerous, and have the hockey Gods with them (as opposite as in game #6). With no surprises, Öttinger had again a perfect rebound game, Lindell solved his sh!t after an atrocious game #6, it was clever and an absolute must to scratch Hakanpää and Glendening for Dell'Andrea to add options on the face-off circle was a great decision too. The Stars cleary had their best performance in the postseason so far and if Grubauer hadn't been terrific I would've spent a quieter evening... And of course as a perfect summary of these series, the Kraken scored with less than one minute remaining, had a face-off in the offensive zone, then won it,... The game was played to the very last second. Quite odd to see that low-scoring game after all these offensive outbursts in the whole series but both teams were more cautious and wanted to prevent as many mistakes as possible.

Being on winner's side it's easier to say that, but maximum respect to this Kraken team. They never gave up, were a true pain-in-the-arse-and-challenging team, they sticked to their plan and always according to its identity. In the lone Stars power-play, Dallas had 10 shots, all blocked, so no official SOG while spending the whole 2 minutes in the Kraken's D zone. We couldn't say we didn't try... It was fast, quick, with many goals, and also no cheap shots, no dirty plays, no whining, no primma-donna behavior, no trash-talk through media, etc. while still playing damn hard, but on the good way.